3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 12:59 PM by Steven L. Gotz

quick timeline export option

I have a timeline with lots of media that needed to be rendered (color correction, dynamic link AE comps, etc.) When i export, it seems to take a very long time to re-render all the material that has actually already been rendered.

Is there a way to do a quick export, such as a Quicktime Reference file?
        • 1. Re: quick timeline export option
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Unless you're laying off to tape (or you want to watch a real-time preview), there is no point in rendering before exporting. All of the export modules in Premiere Pro "go back" to the original media and work with it in its uncompressed format before compressing for your destination format and media. Think of it this way: would you want a photocopy of a photocopy, when you could go back to the original and make a photocopy of it? That's how the export modules work: they use the most pristine format for export. I'm to the point that, unless I've got a bunch of effects going on that require pretty precise timing, I don't render anything in the timeline any more--most of my exports go to DVD or the web, anyway.

Premiere Pro doesn't have a way to spit out a reference file (ie. QT reference), but you might want to explore Debugmode Frameserver Plug-in which will essentially accomplish the same thing. I use it quite often for frameserving into Squeeze when I'm creating web formats.
          • 2. Re: quick timeline export option
            Level 1
            Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I agree that I don't want a photocopy of a photocopy, but my main timeline is almost all After Effects compositions that will never play near real-time cuzz they are just too complex. I pre-rendered everything to uncompressed YUV so I could see it playback, etc.

I was hoping I could render web version from these uncompressed pre-renders.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: quick timeline export option
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              Exporting any format other than the format of the project file (and sometimes even then) will result in the program rendering to the new codec right from the original material, not the preview files.