4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2008 3:11 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Export settings and red box

I know zero when it comes to what settings I should have when exporting. I want to export HDV video so it looks good when projected, but I am not sure what settings I should be using. I don't really have time to mess around with them either.

Also whenever I import video off of my Sony camera, it always has this frame that is noting but a red box near the end. Becoming very annoying.
        • 1. Re: Export settings and red box
          Phil Griffith Level 2
          so are you saying that you just purchased prem cs3 and started editing with a deadline and you didn't learn how to operate correctly?
          • 2. Re: Export settings and red box
            Level 1
            I'm only a student using programs purchased for me by school. I used to use Pro 2 and I would say I am an intermediate user when it comes to the editing, and this is the first time I ever really needed to what all those export settings mean.

And everyone has to start someplace. You people and your elitism.
            • 3. Re: Export settings and red box
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              >And everyone has to start someplace. You people and your elitism.

When you make statements like:

>I don't really have time to mess around with them either.

It indicates to us that you think your time is more valuable than ours.

So here's what I recommend: experiment with the output settings for HDV, keeping in mind the characteristics of your source video, and your target audience and display device.

Also consider that the settings I (or anyone else) use for one type of footage (fast-moving sports footage) will be wholly inappropriate for other types of footage (like an interview or slideshow). And sometimes footage from one sporting event won't look good with the same settings that I used for the last sporting event.

One thing you should learn is that the export can be every bit as much an art form as the actual editing.

Class dismissed.
              • 4. Re: Export settings and red box
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                Exporting HDV is useless unless you have a way to project it. What is your projection method?

In any case, start with MPEG2 Blu-ray as a starting point for your export. Remember to multiplex the file so you can use a free standard media player like VLC.