11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 7:47 PM by (Monte_Krause)

AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere

fredou_79 Level 1
      I'm currently trying to import an AC3 Dolby Stereo mix into my Premiere, but it won't take it, saying file is not supported.

Is there a way to import an AC3 in Premiere with a pluggin, a codec or something?

Will Premiere be able to re-export a Dolby Quality sound equal to the one on AC3 mix when I export it tied with video?

Or should I go on another program like AE, Encore, Audition, Sound Booth... if I want to have audio and video tied together with Dolby Stereo quality ?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
          fredou_79 Level 1
          Found a way to import AC3 tied with video, but still haven't found a fix for AC3 sound only file...

Encore CS3 is now able to import AC3 files...
          This is due to a particular DLL : ad2ac3dec.dll (found in EncoreCS3 folder)

Just copying it in the Premiere CS3 folder (root) now simply allow AC3 import.

it doesn't seem like you can import an ac-3 audio only file, but if it's part of a muxed mpeg-2, ac3 2ch and 5.1ch import fine.

But, it still doesn't solve my bug...

Found also this: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=329133&sliceId=2
          • 2. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
            Level 1
            ... all you have to do is copy the AC3 decoder dll file from the Encore program folder into the Premiere folder and you will be able to import MPEG video files encoded with AC3 audio ... why that dll is not installed into premiere is beyond me ... the dll file is: "ad2ac3dec.dll" --- simply copy it from the Encore ptogram folder to the Premiere program folder - problem solved!
            • 3. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
              fredou_79 Level 1
              but what I'd like to do is to import audio only AC3...this dll doesn't allow that.

I already have this adjustment made as mention in my 2nd post.

Thanks anyway.
              • 4. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                Level 1
                1.)For the record, if it is just stereo, it doesn't have to be Dolby AC3. If it is multi-channel, yes. Just save the audio file in a compatible format - such as a WAV file.

2.)If you can import video with AC3 audio than just link the AC3 audio file to blank video and import it into Premiere that way. Than you can unlink the file from there.
                • 5. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Following along here and learning some things. Wondered why the inclusion of the Encore DLL would still not allow me to Import AC3. Know I know.

Question along the lines of this thread: if one has the elemental streams already (DV-AVI, no Audio & AC3), is there a recommended software for "muxing" the two? I have all sorts of de-muxers, but have not found one for taking the two steams and adding the multi-plexing after their Export. Maybe my Google searches have not contained the right criteria.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                    Level 1
                    ) ... BILL HUNT, you are going to have to be more specific about what you are trying to do. But, from what I can understand, why blend/mix the audio after exporting your video file and not prior to exporting it? You are trying to bring the two together - correct?

) I'll tell you this for sure, Vegas has no problem importing any form of audio. It will also import MP2 video with AC3 audio without having to jack with the program.

~ Monte
                    • 7. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Monte,

You are correct. An old project was Exported to elemental streams and a DVD burned in Encore with these. Now, the client wants to do a re-edit on some of the scenes. We are missing one prime Asset, though I have the original PP Project (just missing this one file). I do have the Exported Audio (DD 5.1 AC3) and DV-AVI (no Audio). Obviously, I can Import the DV-AVIs fine, but would like to use the DD 5.1, as is. What I am looking to do is RE-mux to a multiplexed file for PP. Client and are both still searching for the missing file, as I can just open the PP Project and work from there - best solution, but looking dim.

I'll look into Vegas.

One thought that did come to me would be to Import the AC3s into Audition, and Export out as six WAV files (maybe). I'll try this, just to see how it goes.

I had hoped that someone knew of a program that would take the two streams and output a multiplexed one. Probably not that much call.

Thanks for the response, and mention of Vegas.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Update: just did the AC3 Import into Audition (Multi-track) and Exported as 6 descrete WAV files. It took Monte's asking a question for me to see the logical way to handle my situation. No RE-muxing. It'll mean a touch more work, but luckily, there are only 5 AC3s in the Project, and then a bit more Audio work, when back in PP. Not a big deal, at all.

Off to edit. Thanks Monte.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Frédéric Leclair,

If you have Audition, you might look into my slightly-convoluted workflow. A few extra steps, but does a nice job. If you do not have Audition, the freeware prog. Audacity has multi-track available, so it might work, as well.

Too bad that PP doesn't allow AC3 both ways, but that is often the way that it is.

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                            Level 1
                            ... I'm glad things are working out.

Is anyone still having problems with AC3 or audio - I do a lot of audio for video ... I find I have to use both Adobe and Sony Pro software to be able to have enough variable covered. Sony Sound Forge and Acid Pro and of course Vegas handle audio better than any of the Adobe software. But, I do the finer projects in Premiere - but you would believe how forgiving Vegas is ...
                            • 11. Re: AC3 Dolby Stereo mix - can't be imported in Premiere
                              Level 1
                              Bill said: "Too bad that PP doesn't allow AC3 both ways, but that is often the way that it is."

Monte Replies: in your case, that may be the advantage of using Vegas for importing video with AC3 encoding. It doesn't mind - at all!

And don't forget, you can (re)capture/record multichannel audio using a multichannel audio interface and multichannel applications - Vegas, Sound Forge (capture/no mixing), Acid Pro and all the other numerous, popular recording apps ... I mention Sony only because I've been using them since theyr were developed by Sound Forge - way back when ...