13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 7:56 PM by (Monte_Krause)

Capturing audio

I bought a microphone today to capture audio for the first time. I plugged it into the back of my computer, turned it on. I am using the audio mixer window. I push the buttons in for enable track recording, record and play. I speak into the microphone, it records a track but when I play it back I cannot hear my voice. I move the meter volumes up or down it makes no difference. I increased the volume in the control panel and ran the hardware test wizard and it passed but I still can't seem to record my voice.

Any help thanks.
        • 1. Re: Capturing audio
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Try these search results. I suspect one or more of them will resolve your problem.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Capturing audio
            akribie Level 2
            Have you enabled the microphone input channel? Maybe it is muted.

If on PC, Control Panel/Sounds and opt for volume control on the taskbar. Then just double click the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar to open up the audio mixer palette.

Under Options/Properties choose Recording and set the microphone input as you want it. Maybe that will fix it?
            • 3. Re: Capturing audio
              Level 1
              I think everything in control panel is enabled and volume is up. When I playback my voice with the speaker volume turned way up I can barely hear my voice. If I cannot figure this out tonight I will call tech support for this product tomorrow and if it still does not work I will return the product.

Thank you all for your help
              • 4. Re: Capturing audio
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >I plugged it into the back of my computer

Make sure it's in the right port (pink usually). That you can barely hear it with volume cranked suggests it's not in the mic port, but the line-in port by mistake.
                • 5. Re: Capturing audio
                  Level 1
                  I talked to tech support for my microphone product and they think it is either a sound driver or sound card. Then I called Dell tech support. They think it is my sound card, which is a part of my motherboard. I ordered a new sound card from them which will attach to my PCI slot.
                  Hopefully this will do it.
                  • 6. Re: Capturing audio
                    Level 1
                    ... I would not capture/record audio via Premiere Pro - regardless of your hardware limitations. You should really use and audio application - like ACID Pro, or Sound Forge. There are many of them. You don't need to buying PCI audio interfaces fom Dell, either. Any Best Buy, Micro Center, Guitar Center, Frys Electronics will have a whole host of options - of which, there are many high-quality USB 2.0 and FireWire audio interfaces which do not require opening the computer to install.
                    • 7. Re: Capturing audio
                      shooternz Level 6
                      On the infrequent occassions that I have needed to, I have found that connecting a microphone to computers to be problematic as well.

Getting any control of input levels is the main issue and most likely the "crappy" Audio Mixer that comes installed in a PC with On board (MOB)audio cards is the culprit.

I use Adobe Audition 3 as a "record device" but who would know how to get a decent attenuable level signal in to it because it relies on the toy-like onboard mixer.

BTW - not a mic issue (Senheisser 835) because it works perfectly with camera, DAT, and PA system
                      • 8. Re: Capturing audio
                        Level 1
                        ... that is why a decent outboard audio interface and better audio software. But if you have never used recording gear - at all - ever - you may not understand the concept of how to "trim" a mic so the signals match ... it is also wise to use a limiter/compressor when recording audio, a pop screen ... there is an art to it ...
                        • 9. Re: Capturing audio
                          shooternz Level 6
                          What outboard audio device do you suggest and how do you connect it to the 'puter?

No problem with the Audio Software. (Audition 3)

As said before - Mic works perfectly with camera, dat and PA despite me being no Sound Tech....so the issue lies elsewhere....

I agree there is an art ("black magic science") to audio recording and I try to distance myself from all of it.
                          • 10. Re: Capturing audio
                            akribie Level 2
                            I find that using my camera microphone connected via FireWire and capturing into a WAV file using Scenalyzer works pretty well for voice.
                            • 11. Re: Capturing audio
                              Level 1
                              There are USB and Firewire audio interfaces. There is a M-Audio system sold at Best Buy that comes complete with USB audio interface, microphone and software for around $100.00 or try these components:

) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8437159&st=M-Audio&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&i d=1183160884818

) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8803306&st=M-Audio&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&i d=1206749956579

) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7372354&st=M-Audio&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&i d=1122654018433

... M-Audio is owned by Avid - developers of solid audio hardware and software.
                              • 12. Re: Capturing audio
                                shooternz Level 6
                                I do have one of these devices in my studio which I could use...

http://www.alesis.com/io14

but ...I guess largely this thread is about a simple connection of a mic to a computer (pink plug on the sound card) and getting an easy result with minmum fuss.
                                • 13. Re: Capturing audio
                                  Level 1
                                  ... that Alesis is one of the simplest way to go about it ... pink to pink and you have little or no control and and god-awful results ...

I use this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra-main.html --- simple to use - easy to set up --- professional results

~Monte