18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 10:53 AM by pari7861111

JVC GZ-HD7

I recently exchanged my Sony HDR-Sr1 for a JVC GZ-HD7. I did this because Adobe CS3 could not edit AVCHD. My question is...will I be able to edit my new JVC Hard Disk footage in Adobe Premeire? Should I open the box or take this one back also? I'm really gung-ho on editing with Premeire.
        • 1. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          You went from something easily converted to HDV with a $75 converter, to something that is not compatible at all.

From frying pan to fire.

Who the heck do you have advising you?
          • 2. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Do as Steven says, he knows what he is talking about, especially in the HDV arena.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
            Eddie

Forum FAQ
            Premiere Pro Wiki
            - Over 250 frequently answered questions
            - Over 100 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            • 3. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
              Level 1
              Take that back. Get an HDV camera.
              • 4. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                That camera has some advantages over HDV. For one, it's full res recording (1920 x 1080*), whereas HDV is 1440 x 1080. For another, it's maximum bitrate of 30 Mbps, whereas HDV has a max of 25 Mbps.

It also includes editing software and Blu-ray authoring software. So if you can live with the included software, it may be worth keeping the camera.

If you're set on using Premiere, something like the Intensity card from Black Magic would probably allow you to capture the footage in an editable format from the camera's HDMI port. (This would likely be realtime as it would be from tape, thus somewhat negating some of the hard drive advantage, but that also applies to any HDV camera as well.)

*It has to be mentioned that the camera does not actually include full resolution chips. JVC 'cheats' the 1920 x 1080 resolution by a process known as "pixel shifting". I myself am not a fan of the idea, I'd much rather have a full resolution chip. But the HVX200 from Panasonic also uses the pixel shifting technique, and users of that camera are quite amazed it the picture it produces.
                • 5. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                  I'm editing HD7 video with CS3 on the Mac.

The primary problem is Adobe assumes the only HD is HDV. They don't allow you to create a true Custom Preset that uses MPEG-2.

You can create a DESKTOP 1920x1080 Preset. All will be fine until you need to render. The obvious RENDER codec choice is AIC (on a Mac) since it will work at 1920x1080.

Unfortunately, AIC renders darker. If you choose "422 Uncompressed" it looks fine, but plays very slowly. Something is wrong with PP. Using a codec shouldn't yield darker video!

Until I find a fast & non-dark codec, I'm using a 1080i60 HDV PRESET. This automatically uses an I-frame MPEG-2 codec, which sounds just like AIC, for renders. This looks fine and plays fine.

But, I can't believe HOW SLOW PP is compared to FCP when you don't render. With FCP I can add 3 way CC to clips and use a transition between these clips and the timeline plays in real-time! With PP, the frame rate is very low. Same MBP 2.

Now, how do you get video into Premiere?

Use FREE MPEGStreamclip (Mac & PC). Batch convert from the USB drive in the HD7 to your computer. Convert (demux and remux) TOD files to MPEG files. PP will import MPEG files.

Because you are only remuxing the MPEG-2 you must shoot at the frame size you will edit. So IF I want to use Premiere I must shoot at 1440CBR.

I'm still working on the workflow so things may change.

-------

IMHO you were wise to dump the AVCHD camcorder. The AVCHD codec at its very low data rates just don't do well.

The HD7 gives you the same resolution as the $6000 HVX200 and the color of the $6000 Z1.

For more: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=156
                  • 6. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                    Level 1
                    I don't have anyone advising me...thats my problem. Anybody have a recommendation on what camera I need to purchase that is within the $1,500 range..in which Adobe Premeire is compatible with?
                    • 7. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                      Christopher,

Premeire will work with that HD7. I purchased one a few weeks ago and I was a worried about the same thing. All you need to do to edit in Premiere is convert the .tod files which your camera records into a mpeg-2 file with the included software. It's really simple once you get the hang of it. All you need to do is drag and drop the .tod files from your camera into the power director software that is included in the box. Once you have done that it automatically converts the .tod file into an editable format that you can use for Premiere. Once you've gone through all of that you can pull those files directly into Premiere.

All that said, I'm glad I bought the HD7. Its a great entry level HD HDD camera. Crack that sucker outa the box and have fun with it.

Regards.
                      • 8. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                        Level 1
                        Using JVC's software is painfully slow.

Download MPEGstreamclip BETA 1.9.

Use the Batch capability and locate all MOV files on the HD7.

Convert to MPEG...

Create new folders on your computer to match those on your HD7.

It takes about 15 seconds per file to convert.

When done -- IMPORT them into Premiere.
                        • 9. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                          Level 1
                          S. Mullen,
                          Convert to MPEG? I was under the impression that Premeire didnt accept MPEG files. When I used MPEG Streamclip with My Sony HDR-Sr1, I could only convert the footage to DV. AVI would not go to the timeline. When I converted it, I was unhappy with the diminished quality. It was like I was using a Super 8. Will the converted footage from the JVC GZ-HD7 suffer the same fate?
                          • 10. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                            Level 1
                            Chris,

Premiere will take mpeg files.

My footage does not suffer any quality issues when converting and droping in Premiere. I use my camera and its footage daily for work and do not notice a drop in quality. Hope that helps answer your question.

Regards.
                            • 11. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Tyson,

The SR1 is not MPEG2 but AVCHD, which is not supported. You don't see a quality hit editing MPEG2 until you export. Then it needs to be rendered and you suffer the quality loss.
                              • 12. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                Level 1
                                Tyson,
                                I really appreciate your help. I'm an upstart videographer who can use all the advice your willing to give. I think I will give the JVC a try. After all, I seriously doubt it can put me through more hell than the Sr1 has.
                                • 13. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                  Level 1
                                  Good Luck Chris.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you since I use mine all the time w/ Premiere.

Respectfully.
                                  • 14. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                    Level 1
                                    When the TOD files are "converted" they are simply demuxed from Transport Stream and remuxed as Program Stream. The data is not touched, just the wrapper.

However, you need to shoot 1440CBR not FullHD if you want the best playback performance in Premiere.
                                    • 15. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                      Hey can anyone help? struggling with my new JVC GZ-HD7. The time it takes to import into imovie is ridiculous.... and i can,t use firewire for some reason.Using usb is so slow!!! I,m editing (or trying to ) using Imovie on a 6 month old imac.I installed the plug in for Quicktime which at least allows me to import straight into imovie... but is there anyway i can use firewire? Any help appreciated .....very frustrated .Thinking about going back to mini dv !!

many thanks,
                                      Bruce
                                      • 16. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        Bruce, you're in the wrong forum. You're looking for an iMovie forum. This is Premiere Pro. Hell, you're not even on the right web site, as Adobe has naught to do with iMovie.
                                        • 18. Re: JVC GZ-HD7
                                          pari7861111

super
                                          tool