6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 8:28 AM by Jim_Simon

Change the order of tracks on the timeline

Webshark2000 Level 1
      Is there a way to change the order of tracks on the timeline? I've looked through the help document and can't seem to find a way. I thought just dragging them up or down would work, but it doesn't.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I don't know if you can change the tracks themselves, but you can move the content of one track to another by hitting A on your keyboard and selecting all the clips in that track, then drag to the new track.
          • 2. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            So if you add a track in the middle, you can move things around manually then delete the extra track.

I have never ever needed to rearrange tracks like that. Not ever. I would love to hear about the workflow that requires something other than merely adding a new bottom track, or a new top track, or a new track in the middle. Changing the order of tracks sounds like something I might do in After Effects, not in Premiere Pro.
            • 3. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
              Webshark2000 Level 1
              It doesn't come up often, but I have had some instances when I've needed to move one video track above or below another. It actually came up yesterday, when I realized I needed a video track for a graphic logo between a video clip and title (the title being on the top of the other two). I already had an almost complete timeline, so I was just hoping there was an easy way to just sandwich another track between those two. Like I said before, I've used other editors that let you just drag a track above or below another. I was just hoping Premiere had a feature like that instead of having to create a new track and then move everything from one track to the other and have to rename your tracks.
              • 4. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                But if you just need to "sandwich another track between those two" that is very easy. Just add a track. It is the moving around that is hard, not just adding.
                • 5. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Shaun,

In Sequence>Add Tracks, there is a drop-down sub-menu, that will allow you place the new track pretty much where you want it in the array. Target a Track, and choose Add Below Target Track. Make sure that you do not also add an Audio Track, as PP defaults to one of each. Just uncheck the Audio, unless you want that too.

Note: exact syntax of sub-menu might be different, as I am going from memory in PP2, not CS3, but you'll know it, when you see it.

Then place your Asset onto the new VT.

Another Note: You can Rename the Tracks to suit your needs, i.e. "Logo Track," Video 1 Track," etc., right-click on the Track and choose Rename. If your name is longer than the box, you can drag that section of the Tracks out wider in the Timeline, so you can see the full name. I'd keep 'em short, so you do not eat up Timeline real estate.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Change the order of tracks on the timeline
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Why not just drag the title up one level? If there's no track, one will be created for it. Then insert the logo.