21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 8:57 AM by (Africanada)

Intensity Pro &P2

I have Premiere CS3 and an Intensity Pro card. When I open a standard DV NTSC project in Premiere, I don't have any rendering of my P2 files, but I can't see them on my monitor that is hooked up the the Intensity Pro.

When I create a Blackmagic Intensity Pro project I can see the P2 video on my monitor, but the timeline has the red line on top denoting that the video should be rendered.

Is there anyway to see the video output thru the Intensity Pro on a monitor and not have to render the timeline?

Thanks,
      Larry
        • 1. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          > When I open a standard DV NTSC project in Premiere, I don't have any rendering of my P2 files, but I can't see them on my monitor that is hooked up the the Intensity Pro.

This doesnt sound right. Do you mean you create a standard DVCPRO preset? Are you purposely trying to downsize your P2 media to SD?

Curt
          • 2. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I thought the same thing. Will P2 media show in anything but the newest P2 presets?
            • 3. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
              shooternz Level 6
              P2 (mxf) will open in other Presets. ie I mix them with DV projects

As regards Intensity Pro.

I open 720P into a Custom Intensity Pro Preset. The mxfs are imported natively and they play out to the timeline and the external monitor perfectly (even if there is a Red Render bar). I feel the I/Pro card makes the system even "smoother" and more responsive than other presets .
              • 4. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                > P2 (mxf) will open in other Presets. ie I mix them with DV projects

Of course. But i dont know why it would play without a red line if p2 media is used in an sd project preset. The facts dont line up
                • 5. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                  shooternz Level 6
                  Not sure what you are saying(confused! facts?) but in my case they play even if the Red Bar is there as previously stated.
                  • 6. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I think Larry was saying that when used in a DV preset, he did not have the red render bar. When used in a BlackMagic preset, he gets that bar (and doesn't like it.).
                    • 7. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                      shooternz Level 6
                      And I was saying to him that even thought the render bar is there, it does not seem to make a playback or performance difference. I dont even both to render it until I think about it.

Currently in front of me is a timeline with three HD video layers and a Chroma Key effect. Red Bar is there but its playing fine.

He (and I) need to use the BlackMagic Preset to get the External Monitor working so its a matter of maybe just ignoring the Red BAr ( and Render it just when you feel the need)
                      • 8. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        Yes; that could be it. I interpreted "doesnt render" as doesnt need to render; which couldnt be true given the facts.

But perhaps he is saying it previews fine in a DV preset. That is certainly possible; especially with P2 media.

Curt
                        • 9. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                          shooternz Level 6
                          I am never sure despite researching it a bit ... whether the B/M Card has any "processing power" at all. My experience is that it seems to because PPRO becomes so silky smooth eg scrubbing the timeline, source or program Monitors. (HD720p)
                          • 10. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4
                            Craig; since you have the card I am curious. What codec do you capture to? Its my understanding the card comes with a motion jpg codec that "aint bad", of course also supports uncompressed and whatever native thing you ar captureing. With P2; I must assume it stays P2. But for analog or say HDV, what codec do you capture to with the card?

Curt
                            • 11. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                              Level 1
                              Thanks for all the responses!

Sorry if I confused anyone.

The timeline does play without any problems on the monitor even with the red bar present. Jim Simon was right about not liking the red bar, but I was concerned about exporting to DVD with the red render bar. Does the timeline have to be rendered before exporting to DVD?

I'm not sure why Black Magic doesn't have a preset for P2 DVCPro, but they have one for P2 DVCPro50. We shoot news footage everyday and don't need to use the extra GB that DVCPro50 and HD use.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, the Intensity Pro has been smooth in my initial tests and I really like it.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Larry
                              • 12. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >Does the timeline have to be rendered before exporting to DVD?

No. Render will happen during export.
                                • 13. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                  I posted a similar question at dvxuser.com and maybe you guys can help me out.

I shoot mostly P2, DVCPRO50, 16:9, 24p. It sounds like the intensity card only lets you preview to an external monitor if you use the "intensity presets". What are my options for previewing SD content shot at 24p? Does the card come with any SD 24p intensity presets? If not, could I just use the NTSC intensity preset (30fps) and drop my 24p mxf files and play them that way?

It sounds like (with the recent software update) that playing 720p and 1080p/i @ 24p is possible. What about SD 24p?

Thanks
                                  • 15. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    @cwrig - I do not "capture" via the card because I use a P2 mxf workflow. ie 720p/pn PAL Imported directly from the P2 video folder. The Black Magic Preset is customised but I do not use the P2 Playback mode. (and have no idea what its for)

@ rockon81 - correct. The BM Preset is the only way to preview HD on an external monitor . (If you only want to preview SD on an external monitor, you do not need the BM Card)

I am unable to test any 24p media for you or anyone because I have no access to 24p media ( Pal-Lander)
                                    • 16. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                      Thanks Craig. Ive been looking for someone who used the card for hdv capture va hdmi. curious how it works and with what codec.
                                      • 17. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                        shooternz Level 6
                                        I recommend the card highly but suggest that someone contacts Black Magic and get them to supply some practical information to end users. Especially NTSC users.

Basically they just leave us to work it out. In my case a bit of time and lots of trial and error. Badly documented product in my opinion(simlar to Raylight and Cineform etc)
                                        • 18. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                          Level 1
                                          Craig - How can I preveiw SD material on an external monitor without some output device such as the Intensity card? Hook my HVX up to the computer and firewire preview? No thanks. The documentaion (or lack thereof) on BM websites says you can preview SD content at 29.976 but I really want to know how it handles 23.976.

Thanks for your help though. I'll keep trying to find an answer.
                                          • 19. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >I have no access to 24p media ( Pal-Lander)

Your camera does not have a 24P option, even at HD res?

>Hook my HVX up to the computer and firewire preview? No thanks.

That is the standard way of doing it.
                                            • 20. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                              shooternz Level 6
                                              No 24P option in PAL-Land HVX

rockon81 - there are cheaper devices than cameras or Intensity Pro cards if all you want is a decent SD out put to Ext monitor via F/Wire eg ACDV10

I assume you have asked Black Magic about how it handles 23.976.?
                                              • 21. Re: Intensity Pro &P2
                                                (Africanada) Level 1
                                                Decklink card is very easy to work with. It even outputs from Photoshop, Photoimpact, and more. If you have problems go to control panel find the Intensity and set the preferences