7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2008 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Best laptop for p2 in the field?

Level 1
      I own a hvx200 and my current lap top is to slow to view my up loaded clips. Can anyone recommend (specs) the best lap top for the money so I can even do a little editing in the field?

Thanks,

Mark
        • 1. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Mark,

You might want to look around: http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php

One plus is that you can get 3x 200GB HDDs (maybe bigger now), and this would save having to carry some externals.

I'm a big fan of mine, though with the 17" screen and the HDDs, it is not small, and not that light. Might want to pick up an extra battery, for those locations, where mains are not available, as any 17" screen unit will eat batteries quickly.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
            shooternz Level 6
            Nice looking machine and I like the idea of all the internal HDs but....

...my P2 workflow in the field relies on external drives.

I download my P2 cards to externals as I go. (The external becomes first back up on each card and peace of mind for me). I then use the external HD to load the files into my Desktop NLE (internal drives).

At this point I feel happy enough to re format the P2 card(s) ie.Original Source files. Usually done day or two after the shoot. Note: I have 4x P2 cards = 56 GB

POINT: It would be more difficult off loading Internal HDs on a Laptop to Internals on a Desktop
            • 3. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > Note: I have 4x P2 cards = 56 GB

Odd format at 19 GB each.
              • 4. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
                shooternz Level 6
                3x16 = 48
                +
                1x8 =8
                ______
                48+8=56
                =======

Basic math but maybe a bit left field for some of the resident geniuses ... RTFM
                • 5. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  That shows I need a cup of coffee in the morning before answering.
                  • 6. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
                    shooternz Level 6
                    I just had a whiskey and still could work it out. You had me doubting myself for a few milliseconds tho'!
                    • 7. Re: Best laptop for p2 in the field?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Craig,

For externals, I've got a FW-800 ExpressCard in the slot, and it handles either independent streams to 2 Maxtor 1.5TB units, or dasiy-chained from one connection. I have not done any tests to see if hooking the 2 units with either config., makes a difference in data transfer. Would imagine that the card, itself, would be the bottleneck. Only complaint that I have is the little card's connectors sticking out so far. Also, cables are pushed-in to connect AND to disconnect. The card is pushed-in to connect, so care must be taken, when attaching the cable, to NOT disconnect the card. Other than that, it has been flawless. Also, the BIOS saw the card and the FW-800 connections perfectly, so no drivers, etc. Has 4x USB2, and 1x mini-FW-400, plus wirelss N and gigabit LAN, if you're going to a NAS.

Only had my unit for about 5 mos., so it's still in shake-down, but has been very stable and efficient, or I would not have made the rec.

Hunt