3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2008 4:17 PM by John T Smith

No Audio When Importing Video

Hi, I'm Adam.

I just got Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and I'm trying to import Mpeg2 video files into the program, but whenever I do, it sees that there is Video, however, it doesn't see any audio. I tried converting into AVI format as well, and it still doesn't see any audio.

The Mpeg2 can be played in windows media player just fine, along with the AVI file.

Any Tips?
        • 1. Re: No Audio When Importing Video
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Different camera or different NLE.
          • 2. Re: No Audio When Importing Video
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ:Why is there no audio in my imported MPEG file?

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: No Audio When Importing Video
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory