1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 7:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Rendering Clips from the timeline

Please someone help! I have about 9 DV tapes (many hours worth of footage) to edit down into clips. I just got through the first tape and chunked it up into 35 segments within the timeline using the razor tool. The problem I am having is how to export my timeline out into separate clips and not one long movie file. I basically just want to have 35 mpg files that I can store and grab at random when Im piecing together podcasts. I plan on using bridge to tag the clips so that they will be easily sorted. It seems as though a powerful editing program like Premier CS3 would be able to see my cuts and render them out individually. If this is impossible in premier, can someone point me in the right direction of something that would streamline this process?

thank you SO much in advance.
      -Chris
        • 1. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
          shooternz Level 6
          You need to Set In and Outr Points in each of the clips in the Timeline . Then Export each individually using the Adobe Media Encoder (if mpeg is what you want).

AVI is a better choice by the way for an archive
          • 2. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
            Level 1
            Ok great...thank you for the tip. I select the clip and hit "/" and it looks like it puts an in and out marker around the selection. I then click on adobe media encoder. It looks like only the selected clip will be rendered. Is there a way to automate this process by setting in and out points for each clip and then just encode the entire batch of them?

thanks for your reply!
            by the way im not seeing avi in the list of available formats. is there a setting that you recommend?
            • 3. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
              shooternz Level 6
              There is no Batch function available in this process.

AVI are > Export Movie

MPEGS etc are Export>Adobe Media Encoder
              • 4. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                Level 1
                Craig, thank you so much for your timely and helpful posts!

Do you have a suggestion for something that can accomplish what I'm trying to do? Right now I'm sitting here rendering out clip by clip using the AVI format, but this is going to take forever. I'd love to just set this and forget it for a while until the encode is done. It's hard to believe that such an expensive program isn't capable of something *simple* like this. I could have swore that iMovie HD some how supports this process.

-Chris
                • 5. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                  shooternz Level 6
                  Batch encoding would be nice but... it just isnt so...its a matter of biting the bulet.

Makes you think about workflow next time. eg you could have captured the DV tapes using scene detect.
                  • 6. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >I basically just want to have 35 mpg files...

With Craig, I'd recommend keeping them in the DV AVI format if you intend to use them in Premiere later down the road.
                    • 7. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                      Level 1
                      I'll most likely end up compressing these for a podcast. I'm having a hard time finding the correct settings to export this into DV AVI. And I also noticed that when I set the in and out points and go to export...it's somehow rendering out the whole timeline within the work area. Sorry to sound so naive here, but this is my first time working with premiere - I'm usually a final cut guy, but the HD that I am working with is read only when I plug it into my Mac. Don't hate me.

-Chris
                      • 8. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                        shooternz Level 6
                        You set the IN and Out points in the timeline at the Head and Tail of the Clips that you razored. (PG/Up and PG./Dwn will navigate to these)

Then you must set Export > Work Area Bar in the Export Option.(Not Entire Sequence)

That should sort it.
                        • 9. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                          Level 1
                          Yea, it's so weird. I'm doing exactly this process step by step and for some reason its rendering out the entire video every single time. I even see the darker grey area near the top of the work area, but when I go to export>movie the whole thing comes out.

Let me just clarify my process step by step to make sure I'm not missing anything:

1. cut up video with razor tool
                          2. select clip with Selection Tool
                          3. press "/" to set in and out points on selection - darker color curly brackets appear in the timeline at the beginning and end of my clip.
                          4. go to file>export>movie (clip is still selected)
                          5. name file - select settings - microsoft DV AVI - range - work area bar

every time the whole movie comes out....is there a way to trim work area to the in and out points or something? am I missing a step here? I'm starting to get very frustrated with premier as simple things are becoming cumbersome for no reason. Sorry to be a pain in everyones butts, but I don't know what the problem is here.
                          • 10. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >You set the IN and Out points in the timeline

Actually, you set the Work Area Bar. (Details to be found in the manual or Help file.) In and Out points have no bearing on Export.
                            • 11. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              I would skip the export process altogether, and use the Project Manager instead. Drop your long clip in a sequence, chunk it up with the Razor tool or the split clip keyboard shortcut. When done, open up the project manager, and use the "Create Trimmed Project" option. Set the handles to "0", and if you've named your split clips, you could use the "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names" option. Specify your output folder, and run the process. When done, you'll have as many separate clips as you had edits, and they'll already be named (assuming you named the clips as above). This will be many orders of magnitude faster than the export movie dance.
                              • 12. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                Level 1
                                Colin... I must say - YOU ARE THE MAN. This is EXACTLY what I was trying to do! I'll let you know how it turns out for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thanks to everyone else that is helping me with this. It is VERY much appreciated!

-Chris
                                • 13. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                  Level 1
                                  Colin, it worked like a charm, however all of the AVI files that were rendered out give me a playback error. They all seem to be taking up space- the folder is 10 gigs, but none of my media players will play the file.

I get the following error
                                  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.6000 .6344&id=C00D11B1&contextid=84&originalid=80004002

and the following error in media player classic:
                                  H:\OCR Clips\tape 06 project\clips\Trimmed_tape 06 project\OCR VideoTape 6 2008_05_09_12_05_14_034.avi::Output
                                  AVI Splitter::Stream 00

Media Type 0:
                                  --------------------------
                                  Video

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
                                  majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
                                  subtype: Unknown GUID Name {00000000-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
                                  formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
                                  bFixedSizeSamples: 0
                                  bTemporalCompression: 0
                                  lSampleSize: 1
                                  cbFormat: 0

I dont think its a codec problem - I believe I have all the necessary codecs installed - I tried rendering it twice - the first time the handles were set to 30 - second time I set them to 0. Does anyone know how to change the project manager render settings or why this would be happening?

-Chris
                                  • 14. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    Chris: I apologise for putting you wrong about setting the work area bar with In and Out points (very red faced).

I use the short cut keys "[" and "]" to set work area bar and I confused them with the I and O shortcuts for In and Out
                                    • 15. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                      Level 1
                                      Im also getting unsupported format or damaged file error message when I try to create a new project and then import the clips. Is there a reason why Premiere Project Manager is giving me bad files?

no problem Craig, don't be worried about the misleading advice, I learned 2 techniques and hotkeys that way!

-Chris
                                      • 16. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                        Chris, the format of clips can be important beyond whether you have the codec installed. so you might want to indicate what they are. You indicate they are from DV tapes, so surely they are DV AVI type 2? You can use this utility to find out:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The fact that the project manager trimmed files don't play is odd; the render settings should not be an issue; I think the project manager is simply copying out the portion of the files that are used; not really rendering. I've only used project manager with DV files; the trimmed output files play/import fine.

What is the codec of the output files? Can you play the original clip in media player?
                                        • 17. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                          Level 1
                                          OK heres the scoop - I'm working with a client who has captured his DV tapes using Windows Movie Maker - I almost had a heart attack when he told me this. Apparently he chose Microsoft DV AVI from the format list when he captured the tapes (ALL 11 of them - ouch). They appear to be AVI files. This particular tape imported fine and I spent the time cutting it up - but then the project manager spits out corrupted files.

The original clip will play just fine in a media player, however the cut up clips do not. I downlaoded G-Spot (I should have thought of that earlier.) It says the file is DV Type 2 AVI and that Codecs are NOT installed. The file length is correct however. I tried to name the file extension to .DV and the first frame appeared in quicktime, but the rest was just jumbled colored fuzz.

At the bottom of GSpot it says rendering failed, 0x80004002 [unknown]

Im gonna try another tape and see if it still does this.

thanks for your input!
                                          -Chris
                                          • 18. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                            WMM captures type 1 and you need MSDV AVI type 2 for PP. Either convert them to type 2 (despite what GSpot says) or recapture from the original tapes. Do not convert to .DV type.
                                            • 19. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                                              Check out DVdate for converting your Type 1 files into Type 2. Should be relatively quick; there's no recompression going on.

PS: You'll probably want to do this before importing the clips originally into Premiere.
                                              • 20. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                Level 1
                                                Colin thanks for the tip...I converted one DV Type 1 AVI to type 2 and I am about to run a test to see if the files render out correctly using the project manager...is there a way to replace my old footage file with the new one and still retain the cuts in the project file?

thanks
                                                -Chris
                                                • 21. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                  Select the clip in the bin, right-click and select "Make Offline". Then, right-click again and select "Link Media". In the file dialog that appears, select the new "fixed" file instead of the original. I'm not positive this will work, since you're going from Type 1 to Type 2, but I'm guessing that it will work just fine.
                                                  • 22. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Colin, this worked perfectly! I converted the video file to type 2 and then made the footage offline and relinked it to the newly converted file using the utility you suggested. Thank you so much! Problem solved - now I just have to get to work and cut all this video up!

I gotta say, adobe forums rock and everyone has been so helpful! I hope I can offer some advice to someone with what I've learned. THANKS!

-Chris
                                                    • 23. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I have another question about using the Project Manager. I noticed that it only creates a new file for cuts that have space in between them. So a segment of video that has been cut with the razor tool, but still plays sequentially is lumped into one file....is there a way to select areas of footage and insert blank space or separate the video clips even slightly so that the project manager will pick up on it and create new AVI files during the trim process?

I also noticed that even though I took the time to rename all my clips, the filenames of the AVI files did not work out - they were arbitrarily named and numbered even though I had the preserve or match clip name to filename or whatever. It made me sad - does anyone know why its not accepting the filenames and appending them to the exported footage?

thanks so much
                                                      -Chris
                                                      • 24. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Perhaps these tutorials will teach you what you want to know?

Cheers
                                                        Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                        - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                        - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                        - Maintained by editors like you
                                                        Forum FAQ
                                                        • 25. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                          Level 1
                                                          I ran through them and didn't really find too much except for this - but it was a bit confusing :

* Pierre Hervieux said about getting seperate clips:
                                                          http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Manager

"I wonder what the gap should be for the two elements to end up in different clips? Only one way to find out. So I did a little experiment and found that if the trimming gap is a least 15 frames and you do not ask for handles you end up with separate clips. If you ask for handles then you need a gap of at least 75 frames: again an effective gap of 15 frames. So I retry with gaps of 10, 5 and 1 frames with no handle. Separate clips in all cases. So I tried with a cut but no gap. I got only 1 clip.

So the conclusion: if you have an effective gap of at least 1 frame you will get separate clips."

My problem is that there is not a 1 frame effective gap between my clips. They are all just cut with the razorblade tool and are intact within their sequences. My question is if there is a way to separate my clips without manually dragging them apart from one another. This would be quite the tedious task as there are over 150 cuts in this footage.
                                                          • 26. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            >My problem is that there is not a 1 frame effective gap between my clips.

So put one there.

>My question is if there is a way to separate my clips without manually dragging them apart from one another.

Sorry, no.
                                                            • 27. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                              Project manager will not create divided files even if there is space between razor cuts, or even intervening media. It is "smart," and is only creating files in order to avoid saving media that is not used. (And for its archive purposes, that is what we want. Remember that you're using this as a workaround for batch export.)

Also, it only renames clips that are renamed in the project panel, not just clip instance names on the timeline. The only way to rename clip instances in the project bin is to create them as subclips. And to create a subclip, you can't do it from a clip instance in the timeline.

But I now think Colin's idea will work with these changes.

Open your original clip in the source monitor. Set in and out points for the first clip. Clip -> Make Subclip and type the name you want the clip saved as later as its subclip name. Set new in and out points for all the subclips you want. Place them all in a sequence so they are "used" in the project.

Project -> Project Manager. Create trimmed project, Exclude unused clips (you don't want another copy of your original), deselect handles, select rename media files to match clip names, and send it to a new directory. Are they all there?

Now is this worth it? It may be better to go back to the client's tapes, and recapture with scene detect or using Scenalyzer.

In fact, open Scenalyzer, go to your big clip, split it in scenalyzer (there's a button for that), rename the clips, hit "Commit changes" - all separate files and renamed. Don't forget to use the converted (type 2) files, and make a copy of the original before you go to scenalyzer; scenalyzer will delete the original when it renames the clips.
                                                              • 28. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Thanks Colin. I'm using Scenalyzer right now and it's working well for me. It's detecting clips within these footage files and allowing me to easily rename them and bath render them out in about 2 clicks. Everything seems like its going well - thank you for your patience and time - it's GREATLY appreciated. Everyone has saved me a multitude of time.

thanks!
                                                                -Chris
                                                                • 29. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  Here's another suggestion for future reference.
                                                                  Don't import the entire video in one piece.
                                                                  Use Batch capture to mark each of the segments you want,
                                                                  then when you go to capture, it captures each segment as
                                                                  its own separate file.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Bump - Ive got a question when it comes to the project manager. I went through ALL of my footage and set in and out points for everything that I wanted to be a clip. Then I was able to create a subclip from each in and out point and was given a nice option to name the subclip. So far so good...

The only assets in my project window are the original footage file and about 40 subclips - they are all in a bin folder. I created a new sequence and dragged the folder containing the subclips to my timeline. Im looking at all of my subclips nicely arranged in the timeline sequentially. I click on the project manager. I uncheck include handles. I also uncheck the option to keep unused footage. I check off the option to retain subclip names in the output filename.

Everything appears to go well up to this point. Everything except the fact that Premiere is exporting all the files as 8.29gb (with the subclip names) however all the deleted unused footage is in there and none of the footage matches the subclip names. It appears that Premiere is just making 8.29gb files out of the raw footage and not the subclips that I have in the sequence...WHAT IS GOING WRONG. This took me hours and days to cut everything up!

I also noticed this:
                                                                    Original project size - 8.3gb - Final output size 400gb - estimated.

I really wish I could use scenealyzer, but it doesnt support HDV footage.....

any suggestions of help anyone!?!?!

thanks so much
                                                                    -Chris
                                                                    • 31. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Why wouldn't you just make subclips?
                                                                      • 32. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                                        How about using VirtualDub instead of Premiere for this?

In VirtualDub's "Video" menu, select "Direct Stream Copy".

Open each long clip in VirtualDub, mark in and out (the right-most buttons on the controller bar), File/Save as .AVI... repeat.

If you want to batch these, check the "Don't run this job now..." option on the Save As dialog. When you've finished adding subclips to the queue, go to File/Job Control and click Start.

Very fast, down and dirty -- and no recompression of the original DV.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          The virtual Dub trick sounds like a good idea....the only problem is that I've spent the hours and hours cutting up 9 tapes into subclips and I'm a little confused why the project manager is not being at all predictable. Does virtual dub support HDV footage as well?

thanks
                                                                          -Chris
                                                                          • 34. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                            Chris, when did your material go to HDV? Weren't you working with materials that were client captured DV that you then converted from type 1? But, other than the Scenalyzer issue, I don't know that it should matter.

You appear to have used the method I described at post 27. Did you do a test on a couple clips and did that work?

>I went through ALL of my footage and set in and out points for everything that I wanted to be a clip. Then I was able to create a subclip from each in and out point and was given a nice option to name the subclip.

This was being done by opening the main clip from the project window, right? I would have assumed that you would set an in and out and then create that subclip before setting new in/out points.

Did you delete any sequences that used the unused footage? Project manager will save anything used in a sequence.

>...Premiere is exporting all the files as 8.29gb (with the subclip names) however all the deleted unused footage is in there and none of the footage matches the subclip names.

I don't understand "with the subclip names" and then "none of the footage matches the subclip names." I'm wondering if you are seeing copies of clips made from full clips in a sequence other than the one with the subclips, but the subclips should also have been saved.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              I cut all the tapes up that were shot in DV. I just did it using scenalyzer. I also have NEW HDV tapes that are proving to be hard to work with because not too much supports that format. ie - no scene detect in premiere, no preview when capturing in premiere.

This was what I did with my imported HDV footage.

*Double clicked it from project window.
                                                                              *Set in and out points on a segment.
                                                                              *Create subclip by dragging video into project window. - gave it a name. Do this 40 times over.
                                                                              *create new sequence
                                                                              *drag all subclips over to sequence in timeline.
                                                                              *Project>project manager>create trimmed project- no handles, exclude unused footage, rename filenames to match clip names.

then i get the same error. i even tried separating the clips in the timeline and ive also tried to trim each clip in the timeline by dragging the right edge to shorten its instance in the timeline. why is the project manager not behaving.

im also having a hard time exporting the HDV footage into something that can be read by scenalyzer. ive tried uncompressed avi and it cant be read. ive tried the divx codec and it wont show up, and ive tried the cinepak codec and it wont show. what settings should i use to export my sequences into a format that can be read by scenalyzer wihout losing too much quality?

-Chris
                                                                              • 36. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                                I did a little test and confirmed that HDV clips do not get trimmed in project manager. Probably a GOP thing, although it would be possible to trim using GOP boundaries. As a feature request, I'd pick batch export over trimming HDV clips in project manager, although this makes project manager pretty useless for HDV archiving. Is anyone archiving HDV using project manager? One more reason to do it manually.

Chris, looks like Dan's method for you. Good he's back from vacation!
                                                                                • 37. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                                                  > Chris, looks like Dan's method for you.

Well, maybe: I assumed we were talking about DV clips here... not HDV. That's a different animal. VirtualDub does not handle HDV input very well and does not allow HDV output. Sorry, I was confused about your needs.

Stanley's right about the GOP thing. You need a GOP-accurate MPEG2 TS splitter. There's Elecard XMuxer Pro which, unfortunely, is not available right now (I guess they're re-tooling it, along with many of their other products). Perhaps you could ask them (or otherwise find) for the old version? You can also try a search for "MPEG2 TS splitter" or something like that.

> Good he's back from vacation!

Good for you :) Thanks, Stanley.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                    Won't HDVSplit handle this type of thing?
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Rendering Clips from the timeline
                                                                                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                                                      > Won't HDVSplit handle this type of thing?

Yes, but only if you want to split by scenes and/or takes. It will only create new clips where you stopped/started recording on the camera.

Let's say you have a long scene from which you want to extract only a portion: HDVSplit wont "cut it" (accidental pun).

One HDVSplit's "todo" list is "Simple cutting of m2t files with GOP accuracy", but not yet.
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next