8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 8:21 AM by Eddie Lotter

No sound playback in Premier

jfk00ca
      I am using Premier CS3 on a Vista x64 machine. Premier was working well, but then I had a nasty crash while capturing video. Now when I play tracks in Premier I cannot hear the sound, but I can see that the sound is there and looks to be playing and when I export the clips the sound is fine.

I did check my playback settings and they are still set to play audio off the computer, not an attached device (and there is no attached device right now).

Any suggestions for how to get the audio to play? It's almost like someone hit a mute button or volume control specific to Premier only.

TIA!

Julie
        • 1. Re: No sound playback in Premier
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: No sound playback in Premier
            jfk00ca Level 1
            I have tried as many things from the tread you posted as I could, including uninstalling Super, the only other software program on the machine. (I'm using Vista and a lot of things in the thread were written from an XP viewpoint.)

At this point it looks like the problem relates to Vista Ultimate x64. With some help from a programmer here I've been able to get it working periodically using speakers rather than headphones, but things are fragile and now I'm finding I'm apt to lose sound in other programs as well.

If anyone has suggestions for how to stabilize sound in Vista I'd appreciate it; I understand that there are similar problems in the 32 and 64 bit versions. I wasn't having these problems until I installed SP1.

In the meantime, in case it helps, here are the specs for my machine:

- Premiere Pro CS3 3.2.0 (374) with all updates provided installed
            - Windows Vista Ultimate x64, Service Pack 1
            - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 Ghz
            - Asus Maximus motherboard with:
            - onboard nVideo GeForce 8800 GT
            - onboard audio, SupremeFX II Audio Card
            - 8 Gb Ram
            - 1 monitor in use
            - 1 140 Gb Raptor drive - 82 Gb remaining
            - 2 500 Gb Western Digital drives (set to raid 0) - 786 Gb remaining

Codex: not sure ... whatever is used in the avi files captured straight from mini-dv tape

Hardware capture device - I am capturing from a Panasonic DVX100A and a Panasonic GS 500

Capture software: adobe premiere cs3

3rd party plugins: none. This is a new machine and i've only installed the adobe prodution suite with no extra plugins

Thanks,

Julie
            • 3. Re: No sound playback in Premier
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              It is an unsupported OS, so go figure it out.
              • 4. Re: No sound playback in Premier
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

What Harm is saying is that none of us regulars try to run CS3 on a 64 bit platform because it is not supported and for most people simply does not work.

You can try ASIO4ALL, mentioned on the Audio page of the PremiereProPedia.

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: No sound playback in Premier
                  jfk00ca Level 1
                  I understand ... but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to use 8 Gb of Ram.

I have no idea why, but my sound is working now. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. Creating a new administrator account didn't help at first, but then suddenly it started to work so who knows, maybe that was it.

Now I need to track down a program that will let me copy iso files to disk ... without breaking the other programs that now work on Vista in the process.

Cheers,

Julie
                  • 6. Re: No sound playback in Premier
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

You might like this. ;)

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: No sound playback in Premier
                      Phil Griffith Level 2
                      While it's true that all vista 64 is unsupported,(meaning that tech support will not help you for problems) and a lot here do not use it for that reason, etc., There are a lot of us out there who do use vista 64 and have no problems. If you have more problems with sound, make sure that you have latest drivers and maybe try replacing it with a different sound card. Some people here just here vista and they go off on it.
                      • 8. Re: No sound playback in Premier
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Also be sure to try to get 64bit versions of drivers and software wherever possible. It will go a long way to making Vista a better experience.

If 64bit drivers are not available for some of your computer components, make it a weekly task to check the manufacturer's Web site for updates so that the moment they release the 64bit version you can make the switch.

Cheers
                        Eddie

Forum FAQ