19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2007 1:26 PM by Steven L. Gotz

(now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?

carlnes Level 1
      I have the feeling this post wont be answered (by the people that really knows), but anyway I must say I'm a little frustrated by the fact that even apples new imovie app now supports the AVCHD format.

Is it somewhat confirmed that AVCHD support will come in an update to CS3?

It seemes a little weird to consider a mac with ilife08 included instead of premiere, just to get support for a format that more and more clearly will become a consumer HD standard format.
        • 2. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >just to get support for a format that more and more clearly will become a consumer HD standard format.

There's the thing, it's a consumer format. Premiere Pro is a pro level editor. Support may come, but it doesn't surprise me that you find it first in a consumer level editor.
          • 3. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
            carlnes Level 1
            >There's the thing, it's a consumer format. Premiere Pro is a pro level editor. Support may come, but it doesn't surprise me that you find it first in a consumer level editor.

In my eyes premiere is an high level editor, but no a pro level. And even if you define it pro app it's no excuse for not supporting consumer formats. proffesional photographers prefer raw, but it would have been funny if adobe quit jpeg support in photoshop (to make a bad comparison).

It's okay that other apps provide support for avchd before premiere, but at least adobe should provide info about if/when they will support avchd and acv-intra formats. At least it sounds logical to mee if they want to sell the product, instead of looking at potential customers buying mac/fcp instead.

regards
            • 4. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >it's no excuse for not supporting consumer formats.

That's debatable. But at this point, there probably just isn't enough call for the development of AVCHD. It's only just now starting to make an impact on the consumer market.

Besides, they're still working on adding P2 support, which has quite the user base by now.

>at least adobe should provide info about if/when they will support avchd and acv-intra formats.

I wouldn't mind knowing myself. But future plans are rarely found with Adobe regarding Premiere Pro.
              • 5. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                Level 1
                > In my eyes premiere is an high level editor, but no a pro level.

That says in all,
                b in YOUR eyes,
                Who are you to judge things?
                • 6. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  The point of this is that if there were enough people clamoring for it, then AVCHD would eventually get added. If not, then other new features will get the attention of the engineers.
                  • 7. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                    carlnes Level 1
                    >That says in all, in YOUR eyes, Who are you to judge things?

Not my intention to judge here, take it easy. I said in my eyes because of the same reason; the term pro level is higly subjective. For some enviroments adobe premiere qualifies as a pro app, but in other it's not even concidered at all. Nothing wrong in that.. Anyway, this is OT.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if adobe provides additional format support or not..
                    • 8. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I'm voting for the new features myself. Vista 64 development being the big one.
                      • 9. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                        I have to agree with the guy though; Premiere Pro is nice and all, but it ain't no Avid.

Mind you, I prefer Premiere (it's very easy to use), but Avid has all the specialty hardware, networked projects, group editing, etc that Premiere doesn't have. It's good for a single person doing editing on a single project, but not so good for anything requiring more then one person doing the work.

RANT: Not to mention, Premiere still stinks with HDV because it tries to do native MPEG2 editing which is just too dog slow on most peoples' machines; not to mention it's slower then native HDV in other apps such as Final Cut. (I have a pretty nice workstation and it's fairly unusable.) They need to incorporate a high quality, high performance intermediate codec without forcing us to purchase soso 3rd party plug-ins.

Anyways...
                        • 10. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                          Level 1
                          > but Avid has all the specialty hardware, networked projects, group editing, etc that Premiere doesn't have.

Avid was first shipped in June 1989, and naturally will be the dominant NLE just because it has had a support base for over 15 years.

It just has been around the longest, and more fine tuning it to the needs of the industry took place.

Premiere was introduced on a Mac in 1991, Premiere Pro was launched in 2003.

> "Since its rewrite, Premiere Pro is growing in acceptance by the film and video industry, and has been used in such movies as Dust to Glory by Dana Brown, and Superman Returns (for the video capture process), and other venues such as Madonna's Confessions Tour."
                          • 11. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                            Thrill Media Level 2
                            Howard,
                            I wouldn't head down that road...FCP was only introduced a few years ago and has quickly become the dominant editor on the market today. I am sure you wouldn't want to compare PP to FCP in terms of high profile projects. :)

To get back on topic, PP needs to add AVCHD, P2 and more. Adobe needs to make a serious commitment to PP if it is to become more than it is. I have it and use it but I also use other editors when the project calls for it. I am glad that Adobe let the Mac folks back in the fold but I was seriously hoping for a better upgrade for PP. AT least the rest of the CS3 suite helps make up for it a bit.

Cheers,
                            C
                            • 12. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                              Carl:

I agree. I had to get a copy of Pinnacle Studio 11 just so I can edit some files off of my new Sony SR-7. Tried the conversion softwares for AVCHD to CS3 and nothing worked right. Adobe tech support was usless.
                              • 13. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                Our company just bought the HDC-SD1 Video camera by Panasonic and was about to upgrade Premiere Pro to CS3, now what I read, we have to look too a different software to edit the AVCHD formate.

Once you switch software, looking at cost and time in learning, makes it hard to go back.
                                • 14. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                  You can purchase a $75 tool from Elecard that will convert AVCHD to HDV. Or you can go spend a lot more to edit it some other way.
                                  • 15. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                    Level 1
                                    Sorry Steven...

I have tried and wasted my time with the Elecard software. It may work, but it does not work with CS3. I have converted several different AVCHD files with the Elecard software in several different ways and when I import them into CS3 I get a RED frame every once in a while in my CS3 video. Which of course makes my video in CS3 and their software useless.

So even though they say it converts AVCHD, the final mpeg it produces has problems with CS3 and therefor it does not work.

So it it not the wonder and be all $75 solution. The solution is for Adobe to support AVCHD. What have they been doing all this time since the format was introduced?
                                    • 16. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                      Level 1
                                      If you have any history with using Premiere (or any other Adobe product, for that matter) you'll realize that Adobe does things when they're good and ready, and not before.

It's unfortunate.

You may wish to search around a little bit about the Elecard converter and make sure you have selected all the right settings. It'll work, from what people have said, as long as you use the right options. I have no AVCHD material to test on, so I can't help.
                                      • 17. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                        Level 1
                                        Joseph:

Thanks, you are right I forgot about how they (Adobe) operate.

As far as Elecard, there are not that many options and I made a matrix and tried to get a selection that would work, no dice. I posted a message on their forum and although 50 people have read it, no one has answered it. Their Knowledge base is very weak too.

Plus having to convert and not work right in CS3, at least doubles my time to create a project. :(

I guess I will go hold my breath....
                                        • 18. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                          Level 1
                                          Is there any way to make a 10 or 15 second AVCHD clip that you could send me? How big is a 10 second AVCHD clip, anyways?

I could try to come up with an easier solution. I may end up with an AVCHD camera at some point so it might be good to figure it out anwyays.
                                          • 19. Re: (now even) iMovie supports AVCHD, when in CS3?
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                            Use http://www.yousendit.com to send larger files.