13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 2:09 PM by (Chris_Ahrensback)

'No Sequences' After DVD Burn

(I did a search for this but didn't find an answer -- sorry if it has been asked before)

Hi! I'm new around here & a bit new to CS3 but I have been editing for 30 years or so on other software/hardware. I hope you can help me with this one.

I'm working on a project with 14 sequences in it, the idea being to create a master sequence composed of all the sub-sequences (nesting). A few tests over the last couple of days showed that this will work but something went wrong last night.

After exporting the work area to Encore for a no-menus burn, I saved/closed the project. Today, upon opening that same project, only my default Sequence 01 had clips in it. The other 13 tabs read 'no sequences'.

The sequences were still in the main bin so I simply reloaded them all into their proper slots. It was a lot of work & I would like to avoid having to do this again.

Can anyone please tell me what occurred?

Thanks,

Chris Ahrensback
        • 1. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > The sequences were still in the main bin so I simply reloaded them all into their proper slots.

By double clicking on them?

> It was a lot of work & I would like to avoid having to do this again.

Where was all this work? Just double clicking them in the project panel restores them. If you save your project this will not happen again, as PP stores the number of sequences as your default workspace.
          • 2. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            See this related topic from today, that explains how workspaces can result in similar issues.

ElvisLives, "Can somebody explain the logic behind "no sequences"" #, 23 Jun 2008 1:32 pm

You can get result if you had only one timeline open when you closed the project, opened another one and closed that project with 14 timelines open, then opened the original project.
            • 3. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
              Level 1
              i Where was all this work?

So you are saying this is an undocumented feature
              of CS3?

Believe me, it was work. 63 hours invested in this project so far plus the 2 hours last night trying to figure out what happened.

i If you save your project this will not happen again...

All 14 timelines were open and yes, I saved in that form. This is what I had been doing for the past 4 days without error.
              • 4. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                >I'm new around here & a bit new to CS3

Welcome! You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                - Over 250 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >plus the 2 hours last night trying to figure out what happened.

I think what Harm meant is that it takes about 1 second to double click on a sequence in the bin to get it to show up down below. That's just not all that much work.
                  • 6. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    If it takes 1 second per sequence, the extra work would amount to around 14 seconds. That does not rate under much work IMO.
                    • 7. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                      Level 1
                      Yes, not much work, if you know the software. I don't. That's why I am here asking questions.
                      • 8. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        No problem you asking questions. That has helped a lot of us to get to the stage we are. But in addition to asking questions, it sometimes pays to study the manual or help file to get up to speed. PP is not the easiest software package and investing time to learn it will benefit you greatly in the future.
                        • 9. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                          Level 1
                          Yes, assuming one isn't studying the manual, your advice makes sense.

BTW, I am also learning Avid Media Composer at the same time so things tend to get confusing at times.
                          • 10. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            <So you are saying this is an undocumented feature <br />of CS3? <br /><br />Two issues here: one - your reasonable question of whether this information is in the manual or help file; two - whether a person who does not understand this is a workspace/default opening issue has a chance of looking this up in the manual or help file.<br /><br />In this case, I think the answer is no and no, but I looked only at the several obvious searches.  Other problems are ones that are clearly documented, but where the new user is not likely to pick the right search terms or areas to browse.  Forums rock!<br /><br />I was curious, because I learned of the empty sequence issue here and by trial and error.  Now if you had been lucky, you'd have seen that the sequences, while missing on the timelines, were in the project bin, a couple double clicks and you'd have doubled Harm's time and spent 28 seconds!  Then you could decide whether to try to figure out what was going on, but without worrying about the many, many hours of work being at risk.
                            • 11. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              While I do not yet use CS3, and have not encountered THIS situation, I picked up on the dbl-click on Imported Projects from the Project Panel in the PP2 forum - "duh, I Imported my other Project, but my Timelines are not there!" Even having read the PP2 manual, I do not think I would have figured that one out, without these forums. Seems that there is reference to it, but embedded in details of other things.

One good reason to go UP a level in the forum hierarchy, when doing a Search - a lot of material has been covered in discussion of previous versions of Premiere.

Personally, I'd kinda like to have the # of Timelines be predicated on a standard, set in Preferences, and then fluid enough to handle whatever gets Imported, rather than the program "remembering" what was done last time. If one does the same general Project over, and over, with just a change in Assets, it's fine. If each Project is unique, a handful of extra Timelines, or having to "trigger" necessary Timelines is not in keeping with my workflow. However, for the folk who do the same thing most of the time, it's probably a wonderful "feature."

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                                Level 1
                                i ... but where the new user is not likely to pick the right search terms or areas to browse. Forums rock!

Zactly Stan :) I'm on a number of forums precisely for that reason (forums rock!) Since I'm running 4 distinct systems right now (Speed Razor, Vegas, Avid & CS3), I need all the help I can get. Believe me -- I am RingTFM's a lot!

Yes, I searched for 'no sequences' but didn't find anything too close to what I encountered. I think I understand the 'default timelines' deal but I was not starting a new project, merely reopening one in progress, as I had done 15-20 before the event.

Also, CS3 seems to occasionally decide to sort my timelines in an order it likes, not the one I laid out, so a bit more than 14 seconds was used to get things back in proper order ... say 50 seconds ;-)

i Now if you had been lucky, you'd have seen that the sequences, while missing on the timelines, were in the project bin

Yup, I figured that out quite quickly. Harm was correct in his time estimate however I wasn't whining about that. In the 5 minutes or so it took to do the figuring, I was panicking about the possible loss of 60+ hours of work and an angry client.

I appreciate the help Stan :)
                                • 13. Re: 'No Sequences' After DVD Burn
                                  Level 1
                                  i However, for the folk who do the same thing most of the time, it's probably a wonderful "feature."

I agree Bill. While when working on 30 second spots this would be a boon, it can hinder long-form workflow.