13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2008 6:59 AM by mickkeay

Sony HD camera - import file no audio

steenmikkelsen2 Level 1
      I have an Sony 60Gb HDD HDR-SR7E - then I take my recorder files (MPG-format) and import then to Premiere CS3 it's only the movie, and now the audio Premiere import - Why ?

If I play my MPG-files direct from the HD with Nero ShowTime there is audio/sound in the files...
        • 1. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Your camera has material that is not suitable for editing. Either get another camera, another application (maybe WMM) or convert the material to something that PP can handle.
          • 2. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory
            • 3. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
              Hey it does work to copy the dll file. Thanks!
              • 4. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                steenmikkelsen2 Level 1
                Not in PAL there is no movie now, but only sound..
                • 5. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                  I need to do this but I am a teacher at a school, and need to tell the tech exactly what to do. We looked at the encore .dll files and I don't think we saw that file but I'm not sure. You do this in the registry correct? Thank you. We are fit to be tied. I ordered 10 Sony hard drive cameras to eliminate tape and upload time for high school students in the classroom and now Premiere won't recognize the camera. It's so incredibly bad. Don't say you support Mpeg when you support the video and not the audio. It handles the video files just fine. thanks so much for the help.
                  • 6. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4
                    >Don't say you support Mpeg when you support the video and not the audio.

According to Adobe, MPEG is listed under video as supported while AC3 is not listed under audio as supported.

I'm not sure how you reached such a vague conclusion. Adobe does not claim PPro can do something it does not.

The work-around has nothing to do with the registry. See: FAQ:Why is there no audio in my imported MPEG file?

Cheers
                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                      Also, To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory
                      • 8. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        > I ordered 10 Sony hard drive cameras to eliminate tape and upload time for high school students in the classroom and now Premiere won't recognize the camera.

Bad move. Tape is still the best option for editing. Exchange the cams if you can.

(And I hate to say this, but the teacher of a media class really should know that.)
                        • 9. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

John, that info is in the link I provided. Do you feel the info is not sufficiently prominent? Can the page be improved?

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                            I know the information is there... and I also know that not everyone reads everything (such as using the search function) so I added a bold tag since the problem seemed to relate
                            • 11. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4
                              Then I take it your answer is "yes" to both questions. ;)
                              • 12. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                                Level 1
                                Okay, we copied the ad2ac3dec.dll from Encore into the root of Premiere Pro and we are good to go, we have audio. We also downloaded the AC3 filter, but found that wasn't necessary. And correct, it wasn't in the registry, it was easy, just cut and paste it into the PP program file. Obviously, Jim Simon you have never worked with high school students and mini DV tape or you would not say that about HDD vs tape. This "teacher" dealt with dirty heads all last year, broken tape, lost tape ... Also, when you have high school students for a small time during the day during their class time, real time upload bites into their creative time tremendously. This isn't college where you 24 hour access to the lab. Uploading into a file in 2 seconds and then importing (gosh another 2 seconds) is a much better solution than realtime capture for a high school media class.
                                Yes I canceled the Canon HDD order and will find an alternative (because the Adobe Tech woman said they don't support that particular Canon at all, it's not even an MPEG file). But for now, thanks to whomever yelled " no one is listening ... move the DLL file (AC3 decoder)" because that was the fix. The MPEG video looks beautiful and we don't have long upload time. We like the Sonys again.
                                • 13. Re: Sony HD camera - import file no audio
                                  mickkeay Level 1
                                  If you still have the SR7s then you may be better off using them in HD (AVCHD) mode - otherwise why buy them? -there are cheaper HDD options for SD MPEG2 - bad as it is for editing
                                  It is then a relatively simple matter to use Elecard converter Studio to convert / combine the AVCDH clips into HDV which CS3 handles just fine in a HD project