27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2008 10:48 PM by shooternz

Audio not in sync with video

I recorded my video using a Canon XL H1.
      It imported as an MPEG2
      Now in trying to view in the CS3 source window the audio is way out of sync with the video.
      Audio comes in a good 15-20 seconds ahead of video.
      How can I corret this?

CS3 on XP pro, 4 gigs ram.

thanks
        • 1. Re: Audio not in sync with video
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Update to 3.2 and capture with HDVSplit.
          • 2. Re: Audio not in sync with video
            Level 1
            Currently using CS3 3.2
            There is no option to "re-capture" the video, need to find a way to make this work in it's captured state.
            In windows media player all is in sync, just not in CS3.
            • 3. Re: Audio not in sync with video
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Do a search. There are 100's of posts on this issue.
              • 4. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                Level 1
                Do not assume,
                I have read every post and have not found the answer.
                Perhaps some one is able to provide a real answer.
                • 5. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                  The only answer that I can give has already been discussed in the 100s of posts.

Perhaps you can provide the forum with an exact list of all the things that you have tried, and what happened when you tried them.
                  • 6. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the 15 questions at the end of that link... for question #1 you may use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ - well, you've already said MPEG2, so that is your problem

Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory
                    • 7. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                      Level 1
                      John T Smith,

I appreciate your taking the time to post a responce but it is not germain to my origanla post.
                      I clearly stated that I captured with a Canon Xl H1 and the file for what ever reason was imported as an MPEG-2
                      There is no Ripping or DVD or anything else involved.
                      I'm just trying to figure out how to get this thing to work properly.

I fail to see why an $800.00 piece of software can not work with a $6000.00 camera
                      with out having to jump through hoops..
                      • 8. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Mindreader's answer: It is your setup or OE.
                        • 9. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          > I captured with a Canon Xl H1 and the file for what ever reason was imported as an MPEG-2

The XL H1 says, in big letters in at least 2 places on the camera body, that it is an HDV camera.

HDV is MPEG2. That you are surprised by that indicates a lack of basic understanding of the format, and most likely, of what is involved with trying to edit that format.

I think some more research on your part is required. Until you accomplish that, or at least provide us with the information requested in earlier posts, we cannot help you.
                          • 10. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                            Eddie Lotter Level 4
                            >I'm just trying to figure out how to get this thing to work properly.

Then answer the questions being asked of you, they really are germain. These people know what they're talking about, which is why they stick around here to help others.

Cheers
                            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                            - Over 250 free tutorials
                            - Maintained by editors like you
                            Forum FAQ
                            • 11. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                              Level 1
                              To the Adobe tech support person that was following this thread emailed me with a solution earlier.
                              Could you please resend that email and file as it was inadvertently deleted.

Thanks for the help.
                              • 12. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                Level 1
                                Rokkpapa, was your footage shot in 24f mode?
                                • 13. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                  Level 1
                                  I don't recall the actual settings from that day.
                                  When I open the MPEG files in Windows Media player it lists the frame rate as 29.92. But when I import the file into PPro it says 23.976

I have gone through all of the steps listed in the WiKi PPRo page.
                                  In fact I have gone so far as to reinstall PPRO alone on a clean system. That system is WinXP, 4 gigs, PPRO CS3.2.XX and nothing else.

Yes still new to video as I have been a still photographer for the past 30 years.
                                  There may be a small learning curve but the last 20 hours of video I have shot didn't have this many problems.
                                  • 14. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                    Level 1
                                    I know there was a slight bug in the way PPro CS3 handles 24F footage from the Canon camera. I had a problem with sync, and found it was a problem with the ImporterfastMPEG plugin. Let me know if that's what the Adobe tech who contacted you mentioned. I did get a fixed version that's been working for me.
                                    • 15. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                      Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                      I found, somewhere in the Adobe literature information on 'how to capture from camera to CS3. Amongst it it reccommends that when filming you film for a bit longer then needed, rewind the tape a bit and then recorded the next scene from there. In HD not doing this means you won't be able to get a good 'batch' capture. Something about the way the camera and CS3 communicate. Also if you don't following this step I find that the audio as you have indicated is out of sync with the video. Bummer, I know. To 'fix' you either need to reshoot with this little 'rewind' gimmo to facilitate batch capture or resort to a good bit of ADR work involving manually bouncing the audio files into the right place. Hope this helps
                                      • 16. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        > Amongst it it reccommends that when filming you film for a bit longer then needed, rewind the tape a bit and then recorded the next scene from there. In HD not doing this means you won't be able to get a good 'batch' capture.

Very strange advise. It makes no sense. Can you indicate where you got that advise?
                                        • 17. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                          Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                          Seek and yea shall find

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b 1038518aef7-7f80.html
                                          • 18. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                            That applied to camera's from the previous century. It is utter nonsense for today's cameras
                                            b if you do not remove the tape or switch it to playback
                                            while inserted. To avoid timecode breaks, use END Search or use IC tapes.

These are basic advises everyone ought to know.
                                            • 19. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                              Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                              No Harm,
                                              My current camera is a 2005 model and I have to respect the timecode requirements or face audio sync problems. ROKKPAPA, please consider that the audio sync problems may be due to timecode confusion, take a look at my link in post# 17, don't underestimate this as the potential cause of your problem. a)Did you follow the steps defined at this link?, at the bottom in italics b)Did you remove the tape or switch to playback? If you've said a)no & or b)yes - then please respect your audio sync problems might be a no nonsense timecoding spanner.
                                              • 20. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >filming you film for a bit longer then needed, rewind the tape a bit and then recorded the next scene from there.

That's not quite what the advice said. It said "If you review a clip in the camera, be sure to rewind the tape back into that 5‑second margin before recording again."

That is sound advice when shooting, but has nothing to do with capture.
                                                • 21. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                  Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                                  Yeah, I'm sure you noted also that the adobe link also said - 'Your camcorder reads the timecode from the frame on which you stop and begins recording timecode with the very next frame number when you start your next shot. Be careful; if you leave a gap between the last frame of the previous shot and the first frame of the next, the camcorder begins writing timecode at 00:00:00:00 again.' &
                                                  'For best results, timecode should run continuously from the beginning to the end of the tape; it shouldnt restart from zero anywhere in the middle. In editing, if you log a capture In point such as 00:00:01:09 but that number occurs on the tape two or three times because of timecode restarts, Adobe Premiere Pro cant be certain which 00:00:01:09 is the place to start its capture. It can easily capture the wrong clips from tapes with discontinuous timecode.'
                                                  And it can easily throw your audio out of sync with your video during capture.
                                                  • 22. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                    I think you threw that last sentence in there on your own. What they are saying is that when you go back and recapture, (or batch capture), it will be looking for a clip starting with time code 00:00:01:09. If there are more than one clips with that time code, it won't know which one to capture. Nothing to do with audio sync.
                                                    • 23. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                      Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                                      No Phil,
                                                      If I don't follow adobe's stated timecode requirements I get audio out of sync problems.
                                                      • 24. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        >I think you threw that last sentence in there on your own.

I know he did, because that was not the point of the Adobe reference.
                                                        • 25. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                          shooternz Level 6
                                                          Jarrod : you have definitely "parsed" the information incorrectly.
                                                          • 26. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                            Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                                            Whatever,
                                                            As long as the original poster understands that when I don't follow adobe's stated timecode requirements I get audio out of sync problems.
                                                            • 27. Re: Audio not in sync with video
                                                              shooternz Level 6
                                                              Do you often review your scenes/ takes after shooting them?

It is likely you are "breaking your continuous timecode" in the process - depending on how you are doing it.

Adobe is correct - broken timecodes cause capture issues but it is very simple to avoid.

Do you re-use tapes BTW?