7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2008 7:31 PM by Jim_Simon

Which drive is best to install CS3?

I'm setting up a fresh install with Vista and Premiere CS3.

I'm wondering if it is best to install the program on the C: drive, a different partition on the same HD, or on a seperate HD in the computer.

It's a simple question but I've always wondered if it would make a difference in read/write times for the software.

thanks for the help!
        • 1. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          General rule:

b Never use partitions.

Use at least 3 different physical disks for editing. One for OS/programs, one for media and one for projects/scratch.
          • 2. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
            Level 1
            Can these disks have any partitions on them for other use?

I was thinking of using one 320g drive with 40g dedicated for Vista/premiere and 30g dedicated to XP for regular use. I'm still not sure what to do with the remaining space.

Do you mean having a dedicated drive for OS/premiere, and two other drives with no other purpose other than use by premiere? What is a good size for the media and projects drives? and how should they be formatted? just as NTFS?
            • 3. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              If you consider XP and Vista in a dual boot configuration, I would strongly suggest to forget that idea. It is much better to only use XP Pro SP3 and not partition your boot disk. Vista is an acronym for "Vicious Infected System with Terrible Anomalies". Your boot disk need not be bigger than 80 G.

> Do you mean having a dedicated drive for OS/premiere, and two other drives with no other purpose other than use by premiere?

Yes.

What a good size is, depends on the kind and number of projects you do. I would suggest 1 TB disks to start with (Samsung F1). If you need more space, you can always add drives. I'm currently awaiting availability of the Intel E5472. When it appears, I'll build a system with 8 TB storage and room for more.

Always use NTFS.
              • 4. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
                Level 1
                could someone please explain a bit further? I'm not very bright when it comes to setting up the computer.

How many actual hardrives should I be dedicating for use by Adobe premiere?

I will need one for the OS/CS3, if I need to setup drives in raid0 then that requires 2 identical drives working together, then how many drives are left to have dedicated? Does everything have to be setup as raid? or just the scratch discs?

This is all new to me, sorry if these are dumb questions.
                • 5. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  You probably don't need a RAID setup unless you are editing HDV with an intermediate codec like Cineform.

Just have XP on you program drive with Premiere Pro, then have one drive for captured media, and one for scratch files and projects.
                  • 6. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
                    Level 1
                    I will be editing HDV using a canon HV30. I've also read that the 24P format will need a better setup. Should I still be ok without setting up raid?

How about designating my different drives? I'd like to use all SATA drives but 2 of the one's I own are 16mb and the other is 8mb.

Should the faster drive be used with scratch files? and the 8mb cache captured media? Which will need more space over time, the scratch disk or captured media?

thanks for all the help.
                    • 7. Re: Which drive is best to install CS3?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Use the smallest for OS and programs. Use the middle sized drive for projects/scratch, and use the biggest drive for capture. The cache size is less important, unless all other factors are equal.