5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2008 7:24 AM by Jim_Simon

Offline editing in Premiere Pro

Webshark2000 Level 1
      Can you digitize your footage in Premiere Pro at a lower resolution to save space, edit, and then redigitize just the footage you need on the timeline at the full resolution?

If not, what's the best way do go about editing if you have a lot of HDV or HD footage, but you plan on editing it down a lot and don't want all of the footage on your hard drive at full resolution?
        • 1. Re: Offline editing in Premiere Pro
          akribie Level 2
          Best way is to spend a little money on more disk space.
          • 2. Re: Offline editing in Premiere Pro
            Webshark2000 Level 1
            It's not so much a cost problem as it is an actual physical space problem. We have 4 500GB hard drives in RAID 5 right now which comes out to 1.5TB of space, which is quite a bit, but if we get several big HD jobs going at the same time that space can start to fill up pretty quickly. We don't actually have any more physical space in the computer to put any additional hard drives. I realize we could go with an external solution, but I was just hoping Premiere had the ability to edit in low res, then recapture to footage at full res.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Offline editing in Premiere Pro
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Shaun,

I realize that this will probably not help you doing HD editing, but I've been using a couple of 1.5TB IEEE1394b (800) externals, and editing SD. I had planned on just using these for more storage, but when I put PP on the laptop I was limited to 3x 200GB for the internal HDD space. I began doing a few projects using these and found, to my surprise, that they did extremely well.

Along those lines, if you have a PCI slot in your machine, an eSATA card can hook into a SATA array, that can be configured in all sorts of ways, depending on the array's controller card.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to do true off-line editing in PP.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Offline editing in Premiere Pro
                Webshark2000 Level 1
                Thanks for the info. We already have an eSATA port on our machine. We may have to go to an external solution if we do end up needing more space while several projects are going on at once. Once a project is done we can back it up to a removable hard drive and free up that space, but we've had times we've been pretty busy and shooting a lot of interviews that we are editing documentary style, so it's a lot easier to digitize the whole tape even if we're only going to use pieces. But it takes up quite a bit of space.
                • 5. Re: Offline editing in Premiere Pro
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Use Scene Detect and delete the clips you know for sure you won't use.