26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 7:23 AM by (david_zierott)

time code effect issue

I have CS3 and the time code effect works intermittently or not at all.
      I do get the window burn on the monitor but the numbers don't match the TC numbers of the captured footage clips. (timecode source is set to media) I have had some success in recapturing the footage and re-applying the tc effect and then the numbers sync. But other times, it just doesn't work. When it doesn't work, the clip's tc starts at 00;00;00;00.
      I have tried re-setting the tc number in file>timecode....but when I re-open the project after powering down, the numbers revert back to original.
      I have an extensive edit list from my client, of a music performance and I'd like for this to work.
      Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?
      Any
      thanks
      David
        • 1. Re: time code effect issue
          Averdahl Level 3
          David, lets say that it dont work for Clip_01.avi and you select Clip_01.avi in the Project panel, what does Media Start that you can find to the right say, does it say 00;00;00;00 as well?

I have seen those issues with captured clips many times in PPro CS3. The same clips TC are interpreted beautifully by PPro 1.x-2.0, Bridge, Scenalyzer Live to name a few apps.

Are the clips DV or HDV?

/Roger
          • 2. Re: time code effect issue
            Level 1
            Roger,
            The clips are DV (DVCAM specifically).
            And yes, it is 00;00;00;00 for media start in the Project Panel for the clip.
            Is this a bug with CS3?
            Like I said, sometimes if I recapture, it will work. But I can't get that to work this time.
            David
            • 3. Re: time code effect issue
              I've no idea what is causing the Premiere problem, but if you are unable to resolve it, DVMP Pro could be used to burn-in the timecode that was recorded by the camera.
              • 4. Re: time code effect issue
                Level 1
                Colin,
                I tried DVMP basic and it crashed my system so I took it off again.
                Maybe you have to pay for the stable one.
                thanks for the info.
                David
                • 5. Re: time code effect issue
                  shooternz Level 6
                  What are you using or needing the T/C "Effect" for if the client has already supplied you with a list?
                  • 6. Re: time code effect issue
                    Level 1
                    The source footage is over two hours. The final pgm will be 50 minutes. Applying the tc effect gives (or should give)a quick visual cue on what to cut and what to keep.
                    But I see now what the problem is. In the project window, the clip start point is 00;00;00;00 where it should read 00;01;34;00. The timecode info. is being lost in the capture process. It's not regenerating the source tape tc. It starts it at zero.
                    • 7. Re: time code effect issue
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I find that happens with captures done outside of Premiere. For whatever reason, Premiere seems to need to do the capturing itself in order to read timecode correctly.
                      • 8. Re: time code effect issue
                        shooternz Level 6
                        >Applying the tc effect gives (or should give)a quick visual cue on what to cut and what to keep.

Can you see the T/C from the clip in the Source Window (t/c panel)?

If so ...does that work for you if the client gave you an edit list that I assume to be T/C based?.
                        • 9. Re: time code effect issue
                          Averdahl Level 3
                          >And yes, it is 00;00;00;00 for media start in the Project Panel for the clip. Is this a bug with CS3?

O.k, just what i thought. Yes, it is a bug in CS3 so please file a Bug Report so Adobe can fix this issue: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

>I find that happens with captures done outside of Premiere. For whatever reason, Premiere seems to need to do the capturing itself in order to read timecode correctly.

It happens with captures done in PPro CS3 as well. One workaround i have found is to import the clip in PPro 1.x and export the clip directly from the Project window since PPro 1.x interprets the TC correctly. When done, import the clip in CS3 and use it. I dont have PPro 2.0 installed so i dont know if the same workaround works in 2.0.

I have had success if i split the clip in Scenalyzer Live and then import the new clips to PPro CS3.
                          • 10. Re: time code effect issue
                            Level 1
                            > Maybe you have to pay for the stable one.

No it should work fine. If the whole system has been brought down it's likely to be caused by the graphics drivers which run in the kernel. You could try selecting VMR9 or VMR7 in the options.

Can you report it via the email link on the web site.
                            • 11. Re: time code effect issue
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >I dont have PPro 2.0 installed so i dont know if the same workaround works in 2.0.

It may not, since 2.0 has the same trouble reading externally captured timecode. Every clip starts with 0 unless I use Premiere to capture.
                              • 12. Re: time code effect issue
                                Level 1
                                > 2.0 has the same trouble reading externally captured timecode. Every clip starts with 0 unless I use Premiere to capture.

Would a utility to add the premiere AVI headers (including the correct start timecode from the first frame's DV metadata) be of help in these situations? Hopefully this would mean you could take a DV AVI file that was captured with a non-Premiere app and "patch" it so that it looks like it was captured in Premiere.
                                • 13. Re: time code effect issue
                                  Level 1
                                  I did capture with Premier
                                  • 14. Re: time code effect issue
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    >Would a utility to add the premiere AVI headers...be of help in these situations?

If it were free, sure.
                                    • 15. Re: time code effect issue
                                      Level 1
                                      Thanks for all of your help on this.
                                      I submitted a bug report to Adobe on the issue.
                                      And the problem is intermittent. Today, I test captured some shorter clips and the time code matched the tape's tc. I did use manual capture on these. Yesterday, I used the batch capture function on a one hour clip and the time code wasn't regenerated. The clip started at 00;00;00;00.
                                      thanks again for your help.
                                      David
                                      • 16. Re: time code effect issue
                                        Level 1
                                        An update:
                                        I just again captured a one hour clip. Set in point, set out point and then hit capture....the tc on the captured clip started at 00;00;00;00.
                                        (should have been 01;35;18;00)
                                        So it didn't work again....didn't regenerate tc.
                                        I'd like to test it again doing a manual capture but I need to get this program done and I must get working on it.
                                        David
                                        • 17. Re: time code effect issue
                                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                          I capture in scenalyzer routinely, and I don't recall seeing this problem. However, I rarely use the timecode effect and might well overlook an occasional clip with a zero start time that was incorrect.

For diagnostic purposes, I'm still looking for a utility that allows viewing the header info. Suggestions? I'd really like one that provides a way to edit the header.

I also wonder about options for Premiere to do a better job with odd material. For example, Scenalyzer correctly captures my PDX10's audio tracks, while Premiere captures them as mono. This was an oddity of 2 or 3 Sony cameras, but Scenalyzer appears to be reading the info in a way that allows it to capture it correctly.
                                          • 18. Re: time code effect issue
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >correctly captures my PDX10's audio tracks, while Premiere captures them as mono.

Odd. Both Premiere 1.5 and 2.0 have always captured them correctly for me.
                                            • 19. Re: time code effect issue
                                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                              I think I was using PPro2 when I discovered the problem. Only applies to 48K audio.

See http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ%3AWhy_is_my_captured_footage_mono%3F
                                              • 20. Re: time code effect issue
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                To the OP:

I am not sure if you are discussing a 'TimeCode Effect' issue or if there is actually no T/C in the Captured clip??

Can you see the T/C from the captured clip in the Source Window (t/c panel) or in the Project Window?
                                                • 21. Re: time code effect issue
                                                  Level 1
                                                  'b "But I see now what the problem is. In the project window, the clip start point is 00;00;00;00 where it should read 00;01;34;00. The timecode info. is being lost in the capture process. It's not regenerating the source tape tc. It starts it at zero."

There is time code on the clip and I can see the tc in the source monitor readout. If the media start number in the project window is 00;00;00;00, then it is the same in the source monitor readout. For some reason,in capture,..sometimes...the tape timecode isn't regenerated in the captured clip.
                                                  Sorry for the confusion. I realized yesterday that the timecode effect was just letting me clearly see the problem.
                                                  David
                                                  • 22. Re: time code effect issue
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    I did always have built-in mic only running on the PDX10.
                                                    • 23. Re: time code effect issue
                                                      shooternz Level 6
                                                      Why do you say the TC info is lost in the capture process if you next say that you can see it in the source monitor readout. ?

So is this now resolved or what?
                                                      • 24. Re: time code effect issue
                                                        Averdahl Level 3
                                                        The TC is not lost during capture, its PPro's ability to read the TC that is broken.

If you import the clip to lets say PPRo 1.5 the TC is there.

/Roger
                                                        • 25. Re: time code effect issue
                                                          Level 1
                                                          It suggests there may be a subtle difference in the way the premiere info is encoded in the AVI. If so, then it *may* be possible to "fix" the AVI so that the timecode IS recognised by PPro.

David, if you'd like to post a hex dump of the first, say, 1024 bytes I'd happy to take a look at it. There might be a solution to this until Premiere fixes the bug.
                                                          • 26. Re: time code effect issue
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Colin,
                                                            Thanks for the offer but I did a work-around and am into the editing process now. I'm not familiar with how to do a hex-dump either. How is that done?
                                                            I sent a bug-fix notification to Adobe and hope that they fix this issue for the next version.
                                                            Thanks for your help.
                                                            David