8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 6:55 AM by (Dougie_Campbell)

Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?

(Dougie_Campbell)
      I was just wondering if anybody knew of a video/website that can show me all the effects etc of premiere cs3.I have looked through the tutorials that came with the product but feel that they don't really offer any great detail as to what the effects do or what's in the pallet.
      I do realize that there are tutorials that you can pay Adobe $150 or so for but I'm looking for something a bit less expensive than that!

Many Thanks
        • 1. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
          Level 1
          start with www.wrigleyvideo.com

also see for very valuable resources and links to others: www.stevengotz.com

or try right here, eddies' ;-)
          premiere wikipedia

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Pro_Wiki
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
            Level 1
            Also subscribe to Lynda.com for $25/month.
            It's a steal.

They not only have Premiere, but lots of other great tutorials.
            • 3. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
              Level 1
              I got a one month free subscription to lynda.com which came with the Production Premium suite. (Maybe that's what you meant when you said the tutorials that came with the product). You have to register the product.

Unfortunately, no tutorials at lynda.com about BluRay or HDV of any help.
              John
              • 4. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
                (Dougie_Campbell) Level 1
                Thanks guys.I have a dvd which came with the product but this doesn't really tell me about individual effects/basic tools etc.
                I will check out what you have suggested
                • 5. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
                  This one from one that you have suggested seems perfect for now:
                  http://www.vtc.com/products/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS3-tutorials.htm
                  Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Dougie,

I've not seen, what you're looking for, all in one place. I've got a myriad number of books (CS2), and have downloaded many tutorials. What it seems is that one can explore a feature at a time, and then catalog that knowledge, before moving on to the next Effect. The Help files F1 probably put as much in one place as any book in my library. Unfortunately, one needs to "read between the lines," to get the full potential of each Effect - that, and check out discussion on it here. Some of the names can be a bit confusing, and when looking to do something, picking and using the right Effect might take some time, and be partially counter-intuitive too.

One of the best ways that I've found is to experiment with the Effects, and their settings, after reading up on them in F1. Then, if things still do not seem to be working, formulate a question, "I want to do X. What Effect should I choose?" and post it here.

Going back some versions, there was a great book on the Filters in Photoshop. About 1000 pages of nothing but using the Filters in that program, plus a vast number of free and for-pay Plug-ins. Very comprehensive and all in one spot. I still drag it out, though I'm probably 5 versions of PS away from it and the list of included Filters has expanded exponentially. Wish that I could find one for Premiere.

PP does have one nice feature - the search at the top of the Effects Panel. Only problem is you need to know the name of the Effect you're looking for. F1 will help (no pun intended) there. Still, you need a Rosetta Stone to find out the one you "need," and what its official name is. Same problem often exists with the tutorials. If you know which Effect you will need, or the name of the result, i.e. "Picture in Picture," you can search for that. If all you know is what you want to accomplish, but not what it is named, not so often. Still, watching a tutorial that does not address your immediate need, will still provide you with great info that you can likely use later.

"Classroom in a Book," is a good start (as are the tutorials around) on the Tool names and uses, plus many of the Effects. It's a bit sparse in the "why," but strong on the "doing." Since NLE is a lot of "art," the "why" is important to me, and overshadows the "doing." Sometimes, the exercises do connect-the-dots a bit better, on the why end of things.

Some day, I hope to have used every Efect with every variation, and actually remember what each one did, and why I used it. Not likely until CS50 though.

I also strongly recommend spending a few days with these forums, just reading. Do not skip the previous versions, even if you have only worked in CS3. A lot of the answers apply (some with modifications, but others more directly) to later versions, especially when looking for the choice of Effects, and tailoring them to your needs. Do not forget to use the "First," and "More" links on the forum pages, as there are often many pages of responses. This will also get you up to speed on the naming conventions used. When someone calls the Transition, "Fade to Black," someone else will point out that in PP, it's "Dip to Black."

I had it easier than most, 'cause I came from a cinematography background, with many years using Photoshop for advertising print output. Still, I found that I needed a good glossary of NLE terminology, as I discovered that the language had changed, or was just different. Gotta' learn something new every day of your life.

Hunt
                    • 8. Re: Premiere CS3-Is there a video/Website that can show me all that it can do?
                      I actually didn't realise that I could get Lynda.com for a free month when I intitally registered.I have just signed up for my free month.Thanks guys!