14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 8:37 PM by skeeze

Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro

Ozpeter Level 1
      This seems to work pretty well as a workflow (using AVCHD clips from a Panasonic SD5):-

Get your AVCHD clips onto your hard drive using the camcorder's software.

Run Nero 8 "StartSmart", choose "Author Edit and Capture Video"

Choose "Make Movie"

Using the "Browse For Media" button, navigate to where your AVCHD clips are and select.

When they are in the media file list, drag them to the Nero Vision timeline.

Click on the "Export" button and choose "Export Video to File"

Choose format "MPEG-2" and profile "HDV HD2 (1080i)"

Specify filename for output and click on "Export".

Run Premiere Pro and choose "New Project" and "Adobe HDV"

Choose HDV 1080i 25 (Sony 50i)

Edit as normal. On my quad core (Q9300) PC it's easily possible to use 3 video tracks at once and preview full screen smoothly, or add effects etc - a much better experience that using AVCHD with the costly Mainconcept plugin IMHO.

When done, choose File > Export > Adobe Media Encoder

Choose format MPEG2, Range "Entire Sequence" and Preset "HDV 1080i 25"

In the Video tab, Basic Video Settings area, you might care to up the quality to 5.0

Click OK and supply output filename.

Repeat the earlier stuff relating to Nero Vision but this time you want to select the file you've just output from PPro.

When you click "Next" once your file is on the Nero Vision timeline, choose "Make DVD with Edited Movie" > "AVCHD"

In the next screen choose "Create Chapters"

Well, follow your nose from there to create the chapters, then choose the menu and customise it, and burn to normal DVD in AVCHD quality.

What you end up with is an AVCHD DVD which will play on a Playstation 3 and probably on a Blu Ray player (I haven't got the latter to test). The finished quality is very close to the original quality - on the test material I've just been trying (playing back on a 42" full HD Bravia) I had to play repeatedly alternating original and edited footage to spot any differences - such that could be seen were pretty subtle.

While there are cheaper conversion programs to get AVCHD into PPro, I don't think any of them take the finished edit and do the AVCHD DVD creation and layout part like Nero does.

Hope that helps a new AVCHD user wanting to stick with PPro. If an experienced PPro user can see an obvious technical fault in what I'm doing I'd be glad to stand corrected.
        • 1. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
          I assume your object is to burn a fully functional BluRay project to a regular DVD +-R that will play on a PlayStation3 and other BluRay players.
          Here's an alternate method you might consider:
          1. Check out message #11 here
          http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124190.
          2. Then create a BluRay project with menus, etc in ENcore CS3 and create a "BluRay folder".
          3. Then edit the folder using the tutorial at the bottom of the list here http://jmrser.com/Tutorials.html.
          4. Then burn the edited folder using ImgBurn using a regular DVD burner to a DVD.
          This plays on my PS3 as well as other BluRay players (I tested at BestBuy).
          If you just want to play on regular BluRay player such as Sony BDP-S300 create a BluRay "image" and burn the image using IMGBurn to a regular disk and that should work.
          Of course, this implies you already have Encore.
          John
          • 2. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Coming from a Panasonic camera, you might be better off using their free software to convert to P2 rather than any HDV variant. Doing so will eliminate the one problem both AVCHD and HDV suffer from - temporal compression. You'll end up with whole frames for every frame of video, as it should always be.
            • 3. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
              mickkeay Level 1
              Interesting John
              I have been using Nero to 'create AVCHD disk' using CS3 edited and exported HDV file 1440x1080 - keeping the length down to 15mins or so. The resultant standard DVD-R had bluray structure and plays in PS3 or a Bluray player.

I then tried to get encore to burn a Bluray format disk onto a standard DVD but it would not play ball. Look like you have a workaround with option to edit the index file so a PS3 will also play it - I will give it a go. How much hd video do you get on a standard dvd?

Thanks Mick
              • 4. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                Level 1
                Mick,
                I got a simple project with a Play all and Scene select menu and then a scene menu. There was about 15 minutes of video, but it only seemed to cover about half the disk.
                Encore seems tempermental, so I had to be very careful not to change any of the assets, etc.
                I never could get Encore CS3 to recognize regular disks, and that's why I went to ImgBurn (burning either Bluray image or folder).
                I tried Nero at first, and it seemed like a long process to get it to burn a UDF 2.5 format, but IMGBurn does that automatically.
                This summarizes my experience, for what that's worth, with this.
                http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29665

Also, apparently,Sony will include this capability in DVD Architect Pro http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/bluray.

Finally, some work by others is being done to attempt to burn the BluRay project to a dual layer SD DVD which might double the capacity, but I haven't heard if that has been successful.

Let me know what you think.
                JOhn
                • 5. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                  mickkeay Level 1
                  John
                  Funny that you mention that it only seems to cover half the disk - I found the same when I burnt 15mins of edited HDV using the nero AVCHD udf2.5 creator.
                  I have just downloaded IMGBurn plus BDEdit and will have a play. I dont understand why the PS3 needs the manual interference with the index.bdmv
                  file to make it PS3 compatible (if same disc already plays in a standard Bluray player) - but then again it is Sony :-) - and they keep updating PS3 firmware so it may not still be the case (he said hopefully) Anyway - nice work - I will let you know how I get on
                  • 6. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                    Level 1
                    In Kevin's thread (the guy who figured all this out) right at the beginning, he has a link to a Doom9 article by the person who wrote BDEdit. He talks about PS3 requiring a variant of AVCHD to play.

I had updated my PS3 firmware over the internet to version 2.2 and then when I got a new game, it updated to 2.4, but it still required the editing. Interestingly, PS3 works as an upconverting DVD player so I can burn and play either a widescreen DVD or an edited BluRay disc. I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

John
                    • 7. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                      mickkeay Level 1
                      Yes - saw that thread John. Having trouble with imgburn at moment - the encore created folder causes ImgBurn to seem to create a disc but it hangs at end - "synchronising cache" Then have to forcibly eject it and the dvd is unreadable. Same on 2 PCs. I will try another HDV timeline from PP into encore - real basic no menus this time
                      • 8. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                        Ozpeter Level 1
                        > I assume your object is to burn a fully functional BluRay project to a regular DVD +-R that will play on a PlayStation3 and other BluRay players.

and

> Funny that you mention that it only seems to cover half the disk - I found the same when I burnt 15mins of edited HDV using the nero AVCHD udf2.5 creator.

Well, I think of it as an AVCHD project rather than proper BluRay - I can't imagine having enough to burn ever to warrant using BluRay as such. About 40 minutes of AVCHD (depending on bitrate) seems to fit on a standard DVD and that's all my audiences would ever stand at once.
                        • 9. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                          Level 1
                          Of course, you're right. This is really high definition footage on a DVD with standard menu's and navigation instead of going through the downconverting from HDV to SD.
                          No Java Scripting as of yet although I would't put it past the guys on the Doom9 forum sometime.

Mick. Have you tried a regular test SD project with ImgBurn to see if it works.

Also, I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with my bluray burner which I use to test the folders before I burn them. I don't think that the regular version of PowerDVD will play a BluRay folder though.
                          I guess I've been lucky, but I've not had any problems with IMgBurn.
                          John
                          • 10. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            > This is really high definition footage on a DVD

Care to explain how you could play a standard DVD on a standard set-top box that does not conform to standard DVD specs?
                            • 11. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                              Ozpeter Level 1
                              The word "DVD" applies to the medium in this case, not the format of the data written to it. If you burn AVCHD to DVD it will play on a BluRay player (or should) and certainly does on the popular PS3, which is a very good companion to an AVCHD camcorder.
                              • 12. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                                Ozpeter Level 1
                                I'd venture a guess that the fact that about 40 mins of AVCHD can be burned to standard DVD media is undermining quite a segment of the BluRay media and burner market. When it comes down to it I suspect far more video projects are of less than 40 minutes length (if you take into account the domestic as well as pro sectors) - and perhaps getting non-professional productions down to that length will be a good exercise for those who tend to assume too much about the staying power of their audience. If you want to fit more than that on one disc, then there's a big cost jump up to proper BluRay, which is quite a deterrent.
                                • 13. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                                  Level 1
                                  Actually, an even easier way to get the HDV footage to a DVD is to burn a BluRay "image" in Encore and then use ImGBurn to burn the image to a DVD. This disk will play on commercial BluRay -up conversion players like the Sony BDP-S300 again with the limitation of the time , but not a PS3 as of yet.
                                  I assume the PS3 folks will upgrade their firmware soon, since their DVD Architech Pro will be able to burn the HDV information to a regular disk, as I mentioned above.

Also, as I mentioned above, one needs a bluray player of some type to play these disks, not a "standard set-top box that does not conform to standard DVD specs? ".
                                  It would be easy to check this out by burning a bluray image to a DVD and taking it down to Best Buy or some other similar place and see if it would play on their bluray machine.
                                  John
                                  • 14. Re: Creating an AVCHD DVD with Nero Vision 5 and Premiere Pro
                                    skeeze Level 1
                                    So...if you convert AVCHD to another format, are you going to lose quality and lessen your ability to do color correction and things like blue screen?