3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 6:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Changing the Background in a video...

Hi,

I have some great video footage that was taken where the acting performance that the filming was intended for is flawless however the background of the location is atrocious. Is there anyway that I can change, remove, blur, etc. the background, as there is literally trash all over and it looks horrible. Since this is existing footage, I don't think that any type of a green screen can be achieved, but even if there is a way to turn the entire background black, grey, or white, that would work. If anyone knows how to do this (or anything even similar that might help), it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you so much!
        • 1. Re: Changing the Background in a video...
          shooternz Level 6
          Can you post a screen shot somewhere?

How much footage?

How much movement in the shots?
          • 2. Re: Changing the Background in a video...
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Without a uniform background, you're looking at rotoscoping. Quite beyond the capabilities of the average Premiere user, and still a frame by frame pain-in-the-*** for those who do have the million dollar budgets.
            • 3. Re: Changing the Background in a video...
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Jeanette Andrews,

Depending on the scale of the action in the frame, you might have success with the reverse of the old "blur the people's eyes" trick. In your case, you'll add the blur to the background.. Ive linked to a tutorial on Curt Wrigleys site: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro2_smoothface.htm
              In your case, imagine the background is the skin (to be blurred) and the eyes are your performers. Youll have to move and re-size your Track Matte a bit, and its level of blur will determine how quickly, from the performers, the background blurs. Now, the background immediately around the performers (unless you go the Roto-scoping route) will be in focus, but will fade, as you go toward the edges of the screen. Experiment with the amount of blur in the background.

You might want to add the Effect - Feather Edges and use white, to give the scene more of a dreamlike quality.

Hunt