27 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2008 11:30 AM by (ellias2007)

Ideal Web Movie Format

Hi all,
      i am using Premiere pro cs3 on my iMac 2.0Ghz 20", and i have to put on my web site all the movies i make... so please advice me about the ideal format that has the following properties :
      1) Mac-Pc compatibility, so Both Mac and Pc users can easly view and download the movies...
      2) The minimum possible size,
      3) with the maximum possible quality

Many thanks for any help
        • 1. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          1. Flash
          2. Flash
          3. Flash

JMNSHO
          • 2. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
            akribie Level 2
            FLV must be a strong contender.
            • 4. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I agree FLV is a good choice for web viewing, but maybe not so much for downloading. MPEG2 or maybe Divx is probably the best download choice. Both are very popular for downloaded files and work on all three major platforms - PC, Linux and Macs.
              • 5. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                Level 1
                ...Ok thanks, but how to export what i made in Premiere cs3 on my imac to a movie with the format : FLV, Mpeg2 or Divx ??
                Sorry for my stupide question .. but really i don't have enough time to pull into the Premiere references and learn how...
                thanks for any help to do the stuff with quick and few steps...
                • 6. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  > but really i don't have enough time to pull into the Premiere references and learn how...

and I don't have the time to study for you.
                  • 7. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Harm's right. Getting just the right combination of quality and file size will depend a lot on the particulars of your situation, including the footage you're uploading. It does require trial and error, as well as some study.

If you don't have time for those things, well...that's why we professionals exist.
                    • 8. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                      To make FLV & MPEG2:
                      File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder

DIVX is not a file format, it is a codec. In order to write it you would need to have the codec installed on your computer. Most commonly you would create a .avi compressed with divx. The problem with this is that many people don't have the divx codec, it isn't standard on machines and you usually have to download a supported player from either a third party or DivX inc. themselves.

There are really only four viable formats for watching streaming content online:
                      Flash FLV, QuickTime, Windows Media, Real
                      They are listed in order of ubiquity. If you oly want your viewer to watch your video online while they are at our site you can go FLV, since it is the most common. If you also want people to be able to download your video and play it at their leisure, then also offering a version in Quicktime or Windows Media would be advisable as there are more programs that play those formats on the desktop. Both Quicktime and Windows media will tend to give you better results than the MPEG-2 and DivX mentioned above.
                      • 9. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >Both Quicktime and Windows media will tend to give you better results than the MPEG-2 and DivX mentioned above.

I actually disagree with that. While I've not done a direct comparison using the same source material, the very best downloads I've ever seen are always in Divx format. The others just never look as good.
                        • 10. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                          Level 1
                          >downloads I've ever seen are always in Divx format

As I said above, divx isn't a file format, it is a codec. Windows media and Quicktime are formats and there are many different codecs that can be used with them. Some of the available codecs will give you better results in regards to file size and image quality than divx while others will not. Because you can use many different codecs with Quicktime and Windows Media there is more opportunity to find the one that will work for your specific footage.
                          • 11. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >As I said above, divx isn't a file format, it is a codec.

Semantics, huh? OK then, I'll rephrase.

I actually disagree with that. While I've not done a direct comparison using the same source material, the very best downloads I've ever seen are always encoded using Divx. The others just never look as good.
                            • 12. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                              Level 1
                              I'd like to see a comparison of DivX bit rate to bit rate, resolution to resolution with other formats. We've had this discussion before and I remain unconvinced for its use in anything other than file sharing broadcast TV and movies. At that it's great, but I'd like to see a realistic comparison.

Some questions that need an answer;

* Are these files to be embedded in a player to be shown on the site, or are they for download for the audience to watch in a separate player?

* What sort of connection do you envision your audience having? Are you creating content for broadband connections or dial-up connections?

* What is the source material? Standard definition or high definition?

* Do you know how to write basic HTML to embed a Flash SWF in a web page?

I'd suggest a H.264 mp4 file in a flash swf, but that's not really basic stuff right now. It requires you to know what you're doing. Perhaps a H.264 for download and playback in the Quicktime player is your best bet as a beginner. If you know how to embed a SWF in a web page you can export as FLV and embed the video into a player using Flash.

Jerron, I'd love to see the numbers that say Quicktime is more ubiquitous than Windows Media, particularly if we're talking about ability to view said content.
                              • 13. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >Are these files to be embedded in a player to be shown on the site, or are they for download for the audience to watch in a separate player?

My understanding is both. Hence the recommendation to use Flash for web viewing, and Divx for the downloads.

>I'd love to see the numbers that say Quicktime is more ubiquitous than Windows Media

That's unlikely, given that 80% of the world's computers are Windows machines, and they all come with what's needed to play Windows Media, whereas Quicktime (like Divx) requires the deliberate installation of player and codecs after the fact.
                                • 14. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                  Level 1
                                  Sorry, You guys are right. I transposed the two on the list. The latest report I read. According to a Milward Brown survey from June of 2008 79% of internet enabled devices have Windows Media Player while only 65% have Quicktime.
                                  • 15. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                    akribie Level 2
                                    But, if you believe Adobe, much more than that have Flash.
                                    • 16. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      Which is one reason it's a good online viewing format.
                                      • 17. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                        Level 1
                                        >My understanding is both. Hence the recommendation to use Flash for web viewing, and Divx for the downloads.

Hmm, it would be nice to have a single file option. That's where H.264 comes into its own. You can use the same file for streaming/prog download through Flash, download for local playback and even use in an iPod or Apple TV centre.

Come back Ellias2007! We need more information!!
                                        • 18. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                          Level 1
                                          A POST FROM HARM

but really i don't have enough time to pull into the Premiere references and learn how...

and I don't have the time to study for you.

This really is uncalled for... Do you agree KingLeonard?????

You sound like a child Harm...
                                          • 19. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                            Glad you got that off your chest.
                                            Now, hand holding hour is over.
                                            • 20. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                              Level 1
                                              The chap just needed a bit of quick advice and all he got was cheek off you. Harm almighty. Why don't you just ignore and let someone else help him.? Instead like a school yard bully you have to knock his intelligence.
                                              • 21. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                He said he didn't want to study and he expects someone else to do it for him. That is not very intelligent.
                                                • 22. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                  Level 1
                                                  hi all...
                                                  i would like to explain some points :
                                                  i am an Adobe Premiere and After effect professionnal user since 1997....
                                                  but the last version i used was Premiere 5.1 and AE 4.x as i remember ... and i leaved this domaine for some reasons...
                                                  Now i came back and i start trying to make what i made for a long duration ... sometimes i need some small quick hints ... Premiere cs3 is like premiere 5.1 (for 80% may be..), but i faced some problems...
                                                  1) when i want to export what i made from the time line to a .flv file, i do the following :
                                                  File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder and i put all the other factors as they are very simple for me as i am familliare with them...
                                                  2) when i get the .flv file, i tried to :
                                                  a- Open it with QuickTime player : The application quit unexpectedly...
                                                  b- Open it with Adobe Flash CS3 : The application also quit unexpectedly...
                                                  c- import the file from Premiere pro ... i can not...
                                                  WHY ???
                                                  ... Also some help i need : how to upload the .flv file to a basic Html web page...
                                                  Many thanks for any help...
                                                  • 23. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                    mike velte Level 1
                                                    .flv files are used in conjunction with Adobe Flash to create a player interface and an HTML file. When all files are uploaded to a HTTP server, the movie will play in a browser. The URL will be the HTML file.
                                                    • 24. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                      Level 1
                                                      ... but i faced some problems...
                                                      1) when i want to export what i made from the time line to a .flv file, i do the following :
                                                      File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder>flash... and i put all the other factors...
                                                      2) when i get the .flv file on my desktop, i tried to :
                                                      a- Open it with QuickTime player : The application quit unexpectedly...
                                                      b- Open it with Adobe Flash CS3 : The application also quit unexpectedly...
                                                      c- import the file from Premiere pro ... i can not...
                                                      WHY ???
                                                      Many thanks to any help...
                                                      • 25. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                        • 26. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format
                                                          • 27. Re: Ideal Web Movie Format