3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 2:44 PM by Jim_Simon

problem with image capture via firewire from sony camcorder TRV20E

I'm new to premiere pro. Have checked compat. of camcorder with PProCS3 and am told by Adobe technical team it is ok. So what am I not doing? I've followed the on-line help but still no video. It must be in the settings PLEASE can someone offer me some pointers. I've gone back to the Preferences - Device Control - options and having not found the model of the camcorder I've put the settings back to the default - but that made no difference.
      I'm working on a Mac and have even tried opening the camcorder in i-movie but it doesn't pick up the connection from the camcorder. Is this an oh so simple thing I'm missing? I'm really stuck and would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you
        • 1. Re: problem with image capture via firewire from sony camcorder TRV20E
          I had the same experience the first time i tried capturing with premier. I was using a canon camcorder with the firewire. I walked away from the machine, closed the program, opened it up again and it started working. So i would say, restart the program first, and if that doesnt work, restart your computer.
          • 2. Re: problem with image capture via firewire from sony camcorder TRV20E
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Susan,

Several folk have had issues with Capture from a myriad number of cameras. As Matthew noted, his Capture worked with a certain sequence. Others have noted different sequences, that worked for them.

Sequences to try:
            1.) Plug in camera (iLink) and turn it on. Start PP and then Capture
            2.) Plug in camera, but do NOT turn it on. Start PP, then Capture, then turn camera on
            3.) Start PP, plug in camera, turn it on, then start Capture
            4.) Start PP, plug in camera, but do NOT turn it on. Start Capture, then turn on camera

It would be great if all cameras worked exactly the same way, but it seems that they do not.

One note: if your iLink cable is a powered cable make sure that the camera is turned off, BEFORE you plug in the cable. With a powered cable, I make sure that the device is both off and its power cord is not attached. Too many fried IEEE-1394 sockets can result from having the computer on and the device on. Do not make this mistake. This is for the powered IEEE-1394 cables - the ones with the "U" shaped, large plugs. Please read this paragraph again, if you have a powered cable, or read the specs to see if you do. Most camera IEEE-1394 connections are not powered, but make sure first!

I'd even suggest that you do a search of the Premiere forums, not just CS3, and plug in "Firewire," "iLink," "cable" and read.

As for sequences that worked with certain camera models, Jim Simon posted several articles on his findings. I think that Steven Gotz did, as well.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: problem with image capture via firewire from sony camcorder TRV20E
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >if your iLink cable is a powered cable

That requires a six pin cable - both sides. While most desktop computer ports are the 6 pin variety, most if not all cameras use only a 4 pin connection.