9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2007 8:07 AM by (steven_erickosn)

RECORDING AUDIO

I have been recording my voiceover onto a mini DV then capturing it into adobe through the camera in the usual way onto Adobe premiere.

I noe want to record my voiceover straight into the computer. I can do this in windows vista and then import it into Adobe, but when I try to record my voice straight into Adobe - nothing happens. I keep reading about capture cards and stuff - do I need some new hardware/software? I am self taught and at very early stages. Can someone explain what i need to do in simple language to make Adobe 'hear' my voice over and record it.

Thanks
      Rachel
        • 1. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Simple process: capture in PP from your DV tape, import into your project and edit away.
          • 2. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            That would be a little silly when you can connect your microphone up to your PC, then open Premiere Pro, select a track to record to, open the Audio Mixer, turn on recording and hit play to start the recording.
            • 3. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Not if the OP has already recorded to mini DV as stated.

The OP is rather unclear in what he means:

> I have been recording my voiceover onto a mini DV then capturing it into adobe through the camera in the usual way onto Adobe premiere.

You have recorded it, so why record it again:

> I noe want to record my voiceover straight into the computer.

Capture it and you are done, unless you want to do it again in the way Steven mentioned.
              • 4. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find links to a couple of voice-over tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                Premiere Pro Wiki
                - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                - Over 100 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                • 5. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                  Level 1
                  Hi guys,

thanks for quick reply. Us English girls are a bit slow!! I understand about capturing from tape. But I am sitting in my study and when I do this the sound is horrible. It sounds like a recorded it in the toilet (restroom). So now I want to plug in microphone to my computer and record that way. So far when I go to audio mixer I can press record and the mixer doesn't hear anything - ie the levels don't move - in fact nothing happens at all. Also the play button is not highlighted, so I can't record. What is wrong?

Rach
                  • 6. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

What happens when you try to duplicate what you saw in the tutorials?

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                    • 7. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                      Level 1
                      You are a very nice man Eddie. Went through the instructions and found i hadn't selected "meter inputs only" in audio mixer. Gosh, it is so hard teaching yourself. I couldn't even work my own VCR three months ago. By the way, is Wiki what you would advise for the best tutorials? It is just that the Adobe book may as well be in Chinese for all the help it gives. I just find it easier when someone explains with pictures etc, so I know what to do and what to expect.

Thanks from England

Rach
                      • 8. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're welcome.

The WIKI is probably the most comprehensive list of links to tutorials about PPro on the Internet. I am one of the major contributors to the WIKI and any time I see a new tutorial mentioned I add it to the WIKI.

Video editors are often "visual" types and like to be shown how things are done, that is why the video tutorials are often best.

Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                        Eddie

Forum FAQ
                        Premiere Pro Wiki
                        • 9. Re: RECORDING AUDIO
                          You could always use the OnLocation and record to your hard drive.