12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 8:12 AM by Colin Brougham

Titler - Identify font

MerlinBiggs
      I did a re-install of windows - and lost a load of fonts.

So, In Ppro when I open the title, they are all set to Microsoft Sans Serif.

Is there any way to find out what the font was originally?
        • 1. Re: Titler - Identify font
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you have not saved your project after the fonts were replaced then you can export the title file and open the ".prtl" file in a text editor and poke around for font names.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Titler - Identify font
            DouglasGart Level 1

I searched for a solution to this problem for a long time before

coming across this clever solution, which works a treat.

Thanks Eddie.

• 3. Re: Titler - Identify font
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Even easier: just look down in the very bottom right corner of the Premiere Pro application window for a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. That's the event viewer that lets you know when there's a problem with something in the software, and in the case of a missing font in your titles, it will appear and tell you the name of the font that is missing. Just click it and you'll see a list of all missing fonts.

• 4. Re: Titler - Identify font
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Unfortunately, that method won't tell you where the font was used.  It just says it's missing.

• 5. Re: Titler - Identify font
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

It's always indicated missing fonts correctly for me, so I know which ones to reinstall.

• 6. Re: Titler - Identify font
                    DouglasGart Level 1

I'm familiar with the little notification icon, but for some reason it doesn't

consider my missing fonts a problem (that is, it doesn't even appear).

Opening the exported PRTL file in Notepad and searching for the

word 'font' did the trick.

• 7. Re: Titler - Identify font
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm familiar with the little notification icon, but for some reason it doesn't

consider my missing fonts a problem (that is, it doesn't even appear).

Opening the exported PRTL file in Notepad and searching for the

word 'font' did the trick.

I didn't realize one thing until I tested it just now: you won't see it until you open the title with the missing fonts in the Title tool. Then, the Notification icon will appear, and you'll see something like this:

missing_font.png

On Jim's note: yes, you're correct in that the notification doesn't tell you which title has the missing font, but that doesn't really matter. As long as you don't save the project after you open the title that is missing the font, you can close Premiere, install the font, relaunch Premiere and open your project, and the titles will reassume the original font.

Cool beans on the PRTL trick...

• 8. Re: Titler - Identify font
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It would be nice if the "missing font" dialog was like the "missing Transitions" dialog. There, PrPro gives a list of the missing Transitions, with full name, and also the exact point in the Timeline, where these were used.

First time that I encountered this was with a Mac Pr 6.5 Project, opened in PrPro 2.0. Each of the missing Transitions were listed, along with their exact location. Luckily for me, there were only three of these, but the info was very useful.

Maybe something for a wishlist?

Hunt

• 9. Re: Titler - Identify font
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          As long as you don't save the project after you open the title that is missing the font, you can close Premiere, install the font, relaunch Premiere and open your project, and the titles will reassume the original font.

Have you tried this?

• 10. Re: Titler - Identify font
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes. It works. If you save the project after you open a title with a missing font, the font is "permanently" replaced with Microsoft Sans Serif, and . However, if you DON'T save the project, and then close Premiere, that font change is not written into the project file. The next time you open the project, if the font is still not installed, you'll get the same automatic replacement. However, if you reinstall the font, the project file is able to match to the originally-specified font file, and the titles will reassume their original design and formatting.

Here's a realtime screen capture I did:

ppro_font_replacement

• 11. Re: Titler - Identify font
                              DouglasGart Level 1

I've spotted an issue that undermines both solutions in this thread.

If you're loading a project that was created in an old version of Premiere Pro (in my case 2.0), you are forced to re-save in the new format with a new project file before you can do anything. From this point Premiere has been brainwashed it would seem.

• 12. Re: Titler - Identify font
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

That's probably true; however, you might be able to circumvent the project conversion by creating a new CS4 project, and then importing the pre-CS4 project (not the converted one) into it, as you would any other media file. No guarantees, but that's worth a shot.