7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 7:29 AM by Jim_Simon

Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD

shooternz Level 6
      Re: External Hard Drives

Does anyone know if "hot connecting" Ext HDD to a PC via ESATA connector is a good or a bad thing to do?

I would add - they have On/Off switches so I am even wondering if it is safe to use them at all once the PC has recognised the drives.
        • 1. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          You will be able to hot swap any SATA drive in an external enclosure if the eSATA controller you're using supports hot swap. Many (but not all) eSATA controllers do. If it doesn't say specifically, then the only ways to find out are to either call the manufacturer of the controller/motherboard and see if you can get the correct tech person on the phone, or hook a drive up to it, format it, and see if the Safely Remove Hardware icon comes up in the system tray to allow removal.
          • 2. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
            shooternz Level 6
            I never see any Safely Remove Icons for the drives when they are connected vi ESATA so assume that must mean I shoud not do it.

Still wonder how the On/Off switch would figure in this.

If connected via F/W or USB - the safely remove option is available.

Its a bit of a pain to shut down a PC to connect and disconnect ext drives.
            • 3. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >Still wonder how the On/Off switch would figure in this.

Don't use it, is how.

>Its a bit of a pain to shut down a PC to connect and disconnect ext drives.

Well, apparently you need a controller that will allow you to forgo that business.

(The above sounds kind of sarcastic. It really isn't meant to be. But I'm too lazy to play PC and fix it.)
              • 4. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
                shooternz Level 6
                Switch has to be used sometime so I can shut down the HD.

Anyway I can use the F/W (or USB) connectors even though they are slower than the ESATA connections. I guess I just have to pick and choose which connector to use at which time which will depend on what I am doing.

Lucky I have a choice.
                • 5. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >Switch has to be used sometime so I can shut down the HD.

In that case, it may be better to shut down the computer first.
                  • 6. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
                    shooternz Level 6
                    What harm can it do if I switch it off - assuming no data is being accessed at the time and the PC or Laptop is still running.

Other thing is I always wonder when it should be turned On and generally do it after I have Booted the 'puter. Seems to me if you can turn it on after booting...you should be able to turn it Off before shutting down.

Thing is I just dont know but wont lose sleep over it. Seems to work whatever I do and I have seen no sparks as of yet!
                    • 7. Re: Hot connecting ESATA ext HDD
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >What harm can it do if I switch it off

I don't know. It's up to you if you want to find out. And remember, this may be a Russian Roulette situation. You get five tries and nothing bad. But the sixth...

>Other thing is I always wonder when it should be turned On

Typically you would turn external hard drives On before booting, and Off after shutting down.