18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 5:39 AM by (envirographics)

Is new project required just to capture footage ?

Level 1
      Hi,
      I wish to create space on my miniDV tapes and capture them to PC. When you launch Premiere Pro CS3 you get a choice of new project, open project or help. Closing this window closes the program so I must choose new I guess. So far I have been choosing PAL 16bit sound (original is 16bit and PAL), 48Hz, going New Project, naming it and saving to my dedicated capture drive. Seems silly though to have to create a project for every capture. F5 for the capture screen asks for a name for the capture when capture stopped, so I find myself typing the same footage name again.
      Some are to be edited and combined, so I guess thats ok, but others may be just a few mins long and not planned for editing. Just turn them into DVD's.

Is new project the only option here ?

Can I see afterwards how many frames were dropped and just where ?
      During capture it tells you but if tape reaches end and recording stops, it just says frames were dropped. I am only losing 1 over 30 mins, or 6 in 42 mins as examples.

Envirographics
        • 1. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
          Phil Griffith Level 2
          Do you WANT to start a new project everytime? Do You Want to reopen existing project to capture? When you you ask "Is new project the only option here?, is that the only option on the screen when you start Premiere?
          • 2. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            > I wish to create space on my miniDV tapes and capture them to PC

Why? Never reuse a tape.
            • 3. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
              Level 1
              Phil, as said, I see new project or open project or help, closing that panel closes premiere, so I have to choose one or the other. What should I choose then to just capture something I have no need to edit, but just wish to write to dvd ?

Harm.
              I didnt know reusing a tape was a sin. They are Fuji and excellent for no dropout. seems wasteful to tape, capture and chuck tape. No space to store them all, and gets expensive keep buying packs of 5 new, also I dont get chance sometimes to get a new one before a show.

What of <<Can I see afterwards how many frames were dropped and just where ?>>

Envirographics
              • 4. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Reusing them is penny wise pound foolish. Tape is so cheap, especially Fuji, why take the risk of losing that one shot in a lifetime due to dropped frames just to save a couple of bucks, while you are using costly equipment and software?
                • 5. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I didnt know reusing a tape was a sin.

It really kind of is. Make the room if you need to keep the original footage for any reason. Or throw them out if you don't. Whatever you do with the old tapes, always start recording with a new tape.
                  • 6. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                    Dan Isaacs Level 2
                    > Either way, always start with a new tape

I'll agree with that. Even if drop-outs were not an issue, a miniDV cassette is a very low-cost way to have a hard backup of your original sources. Put a label on it and stick it on your shelf. You never know when you might need it again.
                    • 7. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                      I have quite a few tapes (about 500 or so) and I have never regretted not reusing them. They take up room. Some in shoeboxes in a closet, the more current ones in a drawer.
                      • 8. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                        Level 1
                        >Reusing them is penny wise pound foolish. Tape is so cheap

Try going through 100-200 tapes each month and you'd change your tune real fast. Nothing wrong with reusing tapes - I've been doing it for years with nary a problem and anybody that says othewise is just repeating some silly-assed mantra.
                        • 9. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >Try going through 100-200 tapes each month and you'd change your tune real fast.

I disagree. If I have enough business to use that many tapes, I got no problem buying new ones for every job, or coming up with the storage space to keep them.

Reusing tapes is sort of a Russian Roulette proposition. Just because that first trigger pull didn't go off doesn't mean it's safe to pull it again. There's a good reason we have that mantra to always use new tapes.
                          • 10. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            Tape is cheap.
                            Storage for a tiny little tape (yes, even hundreds of them) is cheap.

We went through hundreds every month at my last studio job, flying through them, mostly only running 30-40 minutes (other rule of thumb...once you finish a tape, putting it back in to record again is forbidden). Every now and then, we'd get some oddball request from a past client to redo something or whatever...without that 2 year old tape, we'd be telling that potential cash flow to go stick it.

MiniDV is just tiny. I count at least 30-40 of them sitting on the desk almost right in front of my keyboard (current projects). They never get in my way, let alone the hundreds stored in little $14 MiniDV racks (holds 50 each) in the closet.

Agree agree agree...

That being said, if you really want to reuse tapes and save money and storage and all that jazz, go for it. But don't deny that of the two options (always use new tape vs. reuse past tapes) one of the two is more prone to heartache, error and failure to succeed at some point in time than the other one. No matter how marginal the opportunity for problems, I sleep much better in the afternoons knowing that I don't even have to think about my tapes. Ever. At all.

PS - it helps to build the cost of your tapes and storage into your client projects. Each individual client is unlikely to care about the extra $10-$20-$40 per project in additional media fees (unless you are under selling your creative abilities, and that line item makes up 50% of your total billables).
                            • 11. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                              mini dv is a pretty fragile format. Re-using tapes is just asking for trouble.
                              • 12. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                Level 1
                                Wow. You guys sound like a Sony commercial.

Next you'll be saying I need to use those pricey HDV tapes as well, right? Wait... you don't use those things either? Well, you should... all the hype says so. :)

The world is full of us rebels that go against the grain of everything the marketing pundits have preached and reuse tapes successfully.

I only use Sony Premium tapes and never change brands.

I keep the heads clean but don't overdo it.

I will only use a tape 3 times max. You guys think I make 100 passes? Even I know the "tension" limits on these things.

If the tape is proven to have worked once... I'd rather trust *that* one than another fresh out of the wrapper. :)

And the comment about passing the cost of new tapes onto clients... saving an extra $5k-$7k per year does indeed make you a bit more competitive. And if it doesn't... well, my first job is to stay in business. :)

And I don't need to store tapes in pretty little DV boxes (yet another expense). After the 3rd use they go into a big-assed crate until some kid form one of the local high schools I've donated them to comes to pick them up. They reuse them at least one more time. I don't even "blank" them out - there's nothing on those things they can't see anyway.

Regardless of all the hype you all take on "faith", I've reused 1000's of tapes over the last 10 years. I have just as many problems with new ones as I do the 3rd time around on these things. Even the really old ones I've used to archive DV footage still capture flawlessly.
                                • 13. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  >I'd rather trust *that* one than another fresh out of the wrapper.

That's where you end up playing Russian Roulette. I've lost that game myself.
                                  • 14. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                    OK, so you successfully reuse your tapes. What do you do if you need the material again? Keep it on a hard drive? Do without?

I care about saving footage more than worrying about the technical aspects of reuse.
                                    • 15. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                      > You guys sound like a Sony commercial ... I only use Sony Premium tapes and never change brands

Umm. Who sounds like a Sony commercial?

> I have just as many problems with new ones as I do the 3rd time around on these things

I don't doubt that, however.
                                      • 16. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                        Level 1
                                        > OK, so you successfully reuse your tapes. What do you do if you need the material again? Keep it on a hard drive? Do without?

Everything gets offloaded to drives for 60-90 days. After that time period I recycle the tapes as well. I never have to resort to the edit after that and if I did, I certainly wouldn't build it from scratch using Premiere proj files. Come to think of it... I doubt it would work anyway.

> Umm. Who sounds like a Sony commercial?

But I use Canon Cams. :)
                                        • 17. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                          Level 1
                                          When the screen pops up using premier choose open project and open the project you are working on. Then go to file- capture. it will capture to the project you are working on. If you are just wanting to capture the video to convert to DVD then choose new project. Hope this helps!!!
                                          • 18. Re: Is new project required just to capture footage ?
                                            Level 1
                                            Hi John,
                                            Thanks for that, so it must be new project just to capture avi for a no frills write to dvd. Thanks

tape usage...I am the client, so passing all the costs onto myself is not on, certainly in my part of the UK a 5 pack 60min isnt cheap, and I have very limited storage, I am overwhelmed with betamax, vhs, hi8 minidv and Cds and dvds ! boxes of them where the carpet should be ! I would feel ok in re-using a tape that I have captured footage off and seen perhaps 4 dropped frames in its entirety, two or three times re-usage should be ok. Fuji I know from a pro editing and a/v services and repair regional centre stood up to their test for dropout,.. take a tape and screw it up ad rub it then see what daylight can be seen, none fuji, some on the rest !

Envirographics