8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2008 4:47 PM by Jim_Simon

adobe products vs freeware

Does anyone know why i can convert an AVI to a DVD in less then an hour with a freeware program, but with a thousand dollar program like adobe creative suite which includes adobe encore and adobe premiere it takes 36 hours?

I know some people might say Adobe Premiere is for editing from camera not already made video, but shouldn't it be versitile? I mean I can't even batch encode. I have to wait hours for something to finish encoding before I can start another encode. Why can't I make a list of files to encode, so it will encode the next file when its done with the first?
        • 1. Re: adobe products vs freeware
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          That feature just hasn't been written into Premiere yet.
          • 2. Re: adobe products vs freeware
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            > That feature just hasn't been written into Premiere yet.

Yes it was. In Premiere 6.5. They removed it when it went "Pro" ???
            • 3. Re: adobe products vs freeware
              TradeWind Level 3
              Yep..big "oops" on the batch encode.
              • 4. Re: adobe products vs freeware
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Wellll....

Premiere Pro was actually written from the ground up. It wasn't an update of Premiere.
                • 5. Re: adobe products vs freeware
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Wellll....

Premiere Pro was actually written from the ground up. It wasn't an update of Premiere. So I guess technically I should have said the feature hasn't been written into Premiere Pro yet. But since we're in the Pro forum, I do sometimes shorten it to just Premiere.
                  • 6. Re: adobe products vs freeware
                    TradeWind Level 3
                    Never could get a good answer from Adobe on that one...a very useful, VERY very useful feature, then "poof" it disappears when we all go "Pro."

Of course, the line about "written from the ground up" was used for a couple of promotional reasons ("hey, come give us a shot, we're not the same old Premiere that used to crash on you") but also to cover some errors in porting the old to the new. Sure it was completely re-written, but we still had the titler we were all used to, the one with all the great reviews. In fact, the titler we have now isn't entirely different than the one in Premiere 6.5 (that would be 3 versions ago for those keeping score at home). In fact, looks like they probably just lifted the code entirely.

But wait...they wouldn't do that, not on an a application that was entirely re-written from the ground up....would they?

Nah...couldn't be the same titler. Besides, this re-written-from-the-ground-up version has so many more bugs than the old 6.5 one. That must ALSO be a product of re-written code.
                    • 7. Re: adobe products vs freeware
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      I'll take this oppurtunity for a mini-rant (I should be able to get away it, as I think most of my other posts are fairly constructive).

This whole "pro" thing irks me. Just because you have a bunch of fancy effects in a program does not make it "Pro". IMO, Adobe has sidestepped so many possible features (useful to professionals) so that every hobbyist with a miniDV camera can click a button and go "ooo, ahh". Of course, this invariably fails also as said hobbyist proves to be either a.) incapable of learning the program anyway, or b.) eventually graduates to a level where they need to do the "pro" things, which can be difficult if not impossible at times.

All of the potential advanced functionality of the program is wrapped in a sort of child-proof layer so that professionals are stuck with a set of canned options -- the exact operation of which are totally mysterious as they are completely undocumented.

The reason why freeware is often better is that they don't need the "oos and ahhs" to show off at the next big tradeshow. Freeware programs simply need to work: to perform the task they were designed to do. Their users use the programs because they are useful -- not because of some perceived "professional standard".

Freeware authors will often admit to bugs and limitations of their programs -- and seek advice from the community, while the "big guys" hide behind a veil of secrecy so that their market share won't diminish when they admit to any flaw or shortcoming.

Don't get me wrong: I like PPro a lot and it certainly has its strengths, but there is no excuse for watered-down functionality in favor of a slicker package -- at least not where "professionals" are concerned.
                      • 8. Re: adobe products vs freeware
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Very sane rant, if you ask me.