5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 12:44 PM by (ElvisLives)

DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone

In premiere pro 2.0 there was an option to edit a menu and create markers all inside of premiere. This "Window > DVD Layout" option was pertinent to my method of creating quick and efficient videos, seeing as I needed to make around 2 per week. My question is: Is there a way to burn a DVD with a menu and chapters in premiere without having to render to file and then use encore? Up to this point I've been disappointed with premiere pro cs3. When I bought an upgrade I wouldn't have expected them to eliminate tools, but I assumed they would just add new ones.
        • 1. Re: DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone
          Eddie Lotter Level 4
          >Is there a way to burn a DVD with a menu and chapters in premiere

No, not in versions later than 2.0.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            > When I bought an upgrade I wouldn't have expected them to eliminate tools, but I assumed they would just add new ones.

And they did, they added Encore which is a whole lot more powerful than PP CS2 ever was.
            • 3. Re: DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              While this is all true, I'm not sure it is as different as it appears. The PP2 option gave you very limited control over the menus, but, behind the scenes was transcoding/outputting a file that was sent to an Encore equivalent. There was just no user intervention once you started the process in PP2.

The closest option now is PP3 Export -> Export to Encore -> Author with Menus. Now pick your transcode settings (just as in PP2). Once in Encore you have a few steps to complete. You must choose the menu and you have to set the links. But if you set up a few custom options with the number of buttons you are using, it takes very little time. But a timeline is created automatically, chapter points are brought in from PP3, the m2v file does not need transcoding, and the wav file transcodes to ac3 quickly.

I used the PP2 option frequently, but I did not have Encore, and had difficulty finding a transcode fit between PP2 output and DVDIt which I liked pretty well. And the limited menus from PP2 were tolerable. And they had the huge advantage of allowing you to create chapter/scene menus with little effort.

But my bottom line, I agree with Harm, I like having Encore even if I don't have the limited PP DVD creation option.
              • 4. Re: DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone
                Level 1
                Yeah, I guess it was just the simplicity that I liked. It took a very small amount of time to create the menu and link to buttons.. have stop markers, etc. I'm sure it's not too complicated in Encore and will probably give me alot more control over my menu. It's just a matter of time to learn Encore and establish an efficient system of exportation and burning over the system I had established with the 2.0 menus.
                • 5. Re: DVD Layout Option from 2.0 gone
                  Level 1
                  >There was just no user intervention once you started the process in PP2.

That's exactly what I miss. No need to start Encore and wait 5-10 minutes for it to index all your sources before you can get on with things. I also miss burning a DVD "on the fly" within Premiere. It was handy for no-frills preview copies.

The OP is correct. They should have maintained some of this functionality.