4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2008 11:34 AM by (JerronSmith)

about MOV files

my camera, olympus stylus takes movies in MOV files
      but premier doesn't read those
      so is there an add on or something to make premier read MOV files? because it takes way to long to convert every single clip to a readable format
        • 1. Re: about MOV files
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I generally recommend using the right tool for the job. A cell phone for making phone calls, a stereo system for listening to music, a video camera for shooting video, and a still camera for taking still pictures.

Using cross-capable devices will only compromise what you're trying to do in some fashion.
          • 2. Re: about MOV files
            Dag Norum Level 2
            >I generally recommend using the right tool for the job.

Hmmm, I guess that comes to using film when film look is wanted also?? :)

Anyway,

RustySpoon, I have found that QuickTime Pro can convert movies like yours to something Premiere will like. Some will say DV-avi is good and other may use avi with compressor set to none (depends on your source). Just make sure you either convert to a standard, like NTSC or PAL, and/or use the same project setting in Premiere as your output from QT Pro.

PS! QT Pro is QUICK, and just start one after the other before the prior one is finished. Then give your partner a hug, and your done.

Dag
            • 3. Re: about MOV files
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I guess that comes to using film when film look is wanted also?

Touché, sort of.

If I were shooting for the big screen, I'd concede. Use real film or a high end digital format. For the wedding video on DVD, we can use the wrong tool and fake it.

Likewise, for editing, use a real video camera. For a video you plan only to watch on the camera's LCD or computer, no editing involved, go ahead and use the wrong tool.
              • 4. Re: about MOV files
                Level 1
                >>my camera, olympus stylus takes movies in MOV files
                but premier doesn't read those<<

yes it does.

The problem you are experiencing is probably less to do with the format (quicktime .mov) and more to do with the codec (compressor/decompressor) that was used by your camera. You can use a converter program like Quicktime Pro to convert it into a form that can then be imported in Premiere Pro. The other alternative that I can suggest is to use a consumer level tool to edit the video. They usually have a wider range of support for the non-pro codecs.
                The Premiere Pro wiki has info specifically on this topic.
                http://premierepro.wikia.com
                search for "why can't I import my quicktime files?"