27 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2008 2:45 PM by (jepediah_borono)

How To Preset A New Project?

Level 1
      I'm trying to start my first project and I'm stopped right at the front with this 'presets' thing. I don't know if it refers to the stuff I'm inputting or to the output I want.

I am inputting .avi files made by my canon A520 digital camera. They are 320 x240 88kbps PCM 8 bit audio at 15 frames per second - so my windows XP system tells me.

None of these figures match any of the listed 'presets' and create my own custom preset? I wouldn't know what to create.

I want to make a DVD. Don't bother telling me about the quality. That's not an issue here. We've done it before with Nero and we know the sort of output we'll get. It satisfies the wife for movies of the kids.

Nero doesn't ask any hard questions. What format Nero outputs I don't know.

Why not use Nero again? Trying to get smarter and learn a new package, read a book that said to use Premier, want to put more work into it than Nero allows.

So: what should I do about this presets thing?

regards,

ab
        • 1. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Use Nero.

> Trying to get smarter and learn a new package, read a book that said to use Premier, want to put more work into it than Nero allows.

Then use material suitable for editing. Buy a DV VIDEO camera that records to tape. Getting smarter also means using the right tool. You don't try to make a phone call with the A520? A smart guy would use a phone for that.
          • 2. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory

For a Firewire DV Camera - look at Panasonic PV-GS320 or GS500 (Note that I have not used either, but they have good reviews)
            http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS320/4505-6500_7-32330317.html
            http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs500/4505-6500_7-31660646.html
            • 3. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
              Eddie Lotter Level 4
              >Trying to get smarter and learn a new package

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I second Harm's suggestion to continue with Nero.

Or, if you're committed to using Premiere, I second his second suggestion to use a tape based MiniDV camera for your source material, and add further that a proper education in the fundamentals of video production would be a very good idea. Else try Premiere Elements.

If you're getting stuck on what preset to use, Premiere Pro is just the wrong way to go.
                • 5. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                  Level 1
                  Hi guys and thanks for the input. I've been thinking about it the last day or so.

I think Mr Millaard's post rather missed the point. The analogy he suggests is inappropriate. An appropriate analogy would be more like "You wouldn't run a diesel truck on petrol would you?".

In this case we're saying the software is only capable of running on certain 'fuels' - or it needs certain inputs.

In such a case it is usual for the software to inform about this. To define the required inputs and to barf one way or another if it doesn't get them.

This software does no such thing, it apparently is quite happy to accept that input. I did manage to find enough time to make a short simple test and it conjoined a number of clips and produced a working .flv file from them.

Saying I should get input suitable for editing is a bit silly. Anything is suitable for editing I imagine - though it may require special tools for certain formats. Again: if not a suitable format the software should inform and this didn't and this worked with it.

The repeated use of the word 'smarter' seems to suggest an intimation that I lack smarts by asking my question. I should point out that the author of the book 'How to do everything with online video.' is the one that told me to do it - you can go tell him he's not 'smart', if you wish.

The underlying point, of course, is that regardless of what other devices or software one might purchase and use this device (the camera) will still be producing material that requires editing and compiling and burning to such as dvd.

That point may be a little 'off the subject' here in this thread, it may be a 'masked' or hidden point or something.

What is directly to the point underlying and the basis of everything is that I asked the question "What should I do about the presets?" and I informed (implying a question) that I didn't even know if they (the presets) applied to the source or the desired output.

Neither of those two questions were answered. By anyone. To my surprise.

Mr Smith offered something more helpful, informative, tangible but also pursued the line that the source material was not suitable for editing.

His links led me to such an enormous pile of technical information that it will be untold yonks before I can ever say anything about it all. I thank him for that. It is impressive evidence of a depth of knowledge and expertise.

He makes no bones about the limitations of Premiere in this respect. Perhaps Premiere and anything/everything else - "dvd is not suitable for editing" to paraphrase.

I'm not aware that I was attempting to edit dvd. Is that what my Canon produces? DVD format .avi files?

Well, okay, back to my previous point - they HAVE to be edited as a matter of human necessity. Humans are going to produce them and humans are going to want to edit them. What humans want humans get.

So it is pointless bemoaning their limitations. The point is to show how best to deal with them. In Premiere or in whatever else.

Eddie's free tutorials I thank him for. I haven't tried them yet. I have been so discouraged by video tutorials in the past that I shudder at the thought of them. Waiting all that time, watching all that time, only to get to the end and they didn't answer the question you had. A question that could have been answered in a trice with an old fashioned manual and a decent index compiled by a programmer who knew how to beta test his product.

But maybe Eddie's are better. I'll certainly have a look.

And lastly thanks to Jim Simon for his interest. But continue with Nero? Only if driven to it and it turns out Nero is better than Premiere. I think Adobe would dispute that, wouldn't they? Use tape based minidv? It misses the point. The question is - I say again - about editing digital camera output. "Try Premiere Elements" seems to be a possibly helpful suggestion addressing the issues. I'll look at it. But isn't 'elements' just part of what I've already got?

And 'if you're getting stuck on what preset to use, Premiere Pro is just the wrong way to go.' how helpful is that? If you're stuck you ask. I've asked. And I've gotten all these words and none of them have addressed the question. In the time taken to do the talking you've all done you could have answered my question a dozen times. Why didn't you?

I put it to you all that what you're fundamentally saying is 'Don't do it.' Not with Premiere, not with anything. You scorn digital camera (this digital camera) output - or maybe all DVD format output, you don't want to deal with it.

Well that's okay. If that's where you're at then okay.

But DVD format and digital camera format (if it is different, I still don't know) ARE going to be produced and ARE going to be edited and some people ARE telling us to do it with Premiere and I just ( I and many others) would just like some hints on how to use this strange programme to do it.

And I think that's fair enough.

What do you think?

regards,

ab :)
                  • 6. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                    Here is a smart way of looking at it. The software is informing you that you are over your head to you use a professional high dollar program, and then use a $50 dollar digital camera made to take still pictures mainly as a input. What is the logic in that? In your analogy...a mercedes and you want to haul dirt with it. Use the right tool for the right job.
                    by the way, I have how to diesel mechanics book I'm trying to sell.
                    • 7. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                      shooternz Level 6
                      A Project is customised to the INPUT material.

In your case

>320 x240 88kbps PCM 8 bit audio at 15 frames per second

Try that. It may or may not work.

You may need to Convert the material to something more "appropriate" to Premiere otherwise.

Good luck.
                      • 8. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >Anything is suitable for editing I imagine

You imagine incorrectly. Hence the suggestion to get the proper education on the basics of video production.

>His links led me to such an enormous pile of technical information that it will be untold yonks before I can ever say anything about it all.

That's kind of the point we're trying to make here. You're not ready to edit yet. First learn, then do. It seems as if you're trying to skip step one.

>The point is to show how best to deal with them.

Hence the suggestion to continue with Nero.

>If you're stuck you ask.

But you're stuck on something very basic. It's difficult to apply knowledge you don't have, which is what you're trying to do. So, take a step back to consumer software, or get the knowledge you need to step up to the pro stuff.

> In the time taken to do the talking you've all done you could have answered my question a dozen times. Why didn't you?

There's the point. The basic knowledge you're lacking will take more time than is practical here. Because without understanding, if simply given the data, you'll be back with more simple questions that are better answered with a proper education.
                        • 9. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                          shooternz Level 6
                          hmmm...

Absolutely everything is suitable for "editing" but one may need to convert or adapt it somehow first.

"Editing" has nothing to do with "suitability" or what any particular editing system will work with. eg Any one can edit 70mm/35mm/17.5mm/16mm/8mm film etc... but first one has to convert it to something ones choice of Edit System will handle.

Premiere will not handle (edit) real film rushes natively (like a Steenbeck Flatbed) but there is no problem editing it once converted (digitised).

"I am thankful to a legion of creative film makers that never closed my mind to the possiblities that abound for a film maker".
                          • 10. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            Arthur, It is true that there are some pretty different styles of responding in this group. And I didn't realize it till I finished most of this post, but you got a good sample of them back in May. So you knew you'd get a mix of people telling you not to use Premiere and others with specific suggestions. But, as in May, it hasn't gotten you to your goal.

You asked very directly in your original post here for information about presets. You also focused, quite correctly, on your status as a new user of Premiere and in your interest in learning and using a more flexible and powerful system. (You used the word smarter; don't be offended by, for example, Eddie's quoting that - he was, I believe, sincerely offering a response to your underlying needs. And yes, tutorials may or may not give you a solution to a specific question, but they will help you get up to speed and save you hours of time when you don't know which question to ask. For example, you can't find the information you want in the adobe help file until you realize that you are looking for "desktop" or "general custom settings." If you can't get you A520 clips working, start using sample clips to work on tutorials. These will pay off.)

The style of responding that I believe you wanted, and usually you would have gotten at least one response like this is the following:

Arthur, you camera is probably putting MJPEG codec in an avi wrapper, and Premier may not like this. You may need to convert to a friendlier format. Premier most likes DV AVI type 2. You already realize that you are going to get a quality hit, but be aware that your material is only 320x240, and that DV AVI is going to scale that up a lot. To attempt to use your file without conversion, you need to have an MJPEG decoder on your system which you may or may not have. If Premiere will work with your unconverted file, the settings of your project need to match your input file. To set up a project with "320 x240 PCM 8 bit audio at 15 frames per second," you pick "custom settings" in the new project screen, pick "desktop" for the editing mode, set your frames per second (15fps) and frame size (320x240). You need to determine what the audio rate is (not the bit depth). If you're not sure, try the various options.

I have noted that back in May you did get some responses that said all of this with a bit less detail. And I feel for you, because I assume that you have not found the solution to how to use your files in Premiere. And back in May you heard plenty about the problems, so I'm sure you don't find that helpful.

(The previous post is here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b54371)

And now you still have plenty of clips that need attention (even if you bought a DV camera back in May), and you are still not editing these in Premiere. To use both Harm's analogy and yours with a twist, you have a cell phone with no minutes and a Mercedes with no petrol.

So, try the custom/desktop options and see if it will pull a file in and if you can see the video (even if no audio). That may be the quickest way to see if you have the mjpeg codec.

Try to find a group focused on the Canon A520 or the like and search for methods people are using to edit. Even if they are not using Premiere, it may give you some info about how they are getting the job done. A search here (at the level of all premiere forums) for "A520" finds only this thread. Is anyone out there using A520 or equivalent clips successfully? If so, how?

Didn't mean this to be so long....
                            • 11. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              I don't understand why the OP persists in trying to edit with PP when Nero works fine. PP will entail a lot of headaches without resulting in better quality. If he wants to use PP, use proper material. If you don't have proper material and a deadline to meet, use Nero that worked for him in the past. If you have lots of free time, experiment.
                              • 12. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Arthur,

The more appropriate analogy would have been: My wife's S-500 AMG uses petrol. It specifies 91 octane at our altitude as a minimum. Can I run 84 octane petrol? The answer is yes, but the car will not run as well, and problems can certainly develop. Question: Can I do anything to make it run OK on 84 octane? Answer: Yes, you can add certain additive to the fuel, but that is another step, expensive and may still not do a good job.

How does this translate to PP (and most NLE's)? They work best, when you feed them 91 octane fuel. You can help them out, if you convert to a better format/CODEC/spec file, but that is another step, or maybe two, and there are few guarantees, that these will work perfectly.

Most of us get other formats, from time to time. We have to find a way to make them work. Often, it's more work, than to just reshoot for the client, but clients seldom see that wisdom.

If you have Assets of a certain type, and it is not DV-AVI, you can create a workflow, that takes this into consideration. Reading this forum (PP of other versions too) will help you find the tools. You have to experiment with them, to see which ones work best for your Assets, and incorporate them into your workflow.

Yes, PP will "try" to run with less than ideal Assets, just like my wfe's MB will "try" to run on 84 octane fuel. However, it's much more work for PP and for your system, than if you fed it 91 octane, like it wants.

The folk here are trying to point out the pitfalls of that 84 octane stuff. Some of the suggestions are to use a Ford Focus to get around (other NLE's), and some are to convert your Assets (fuel additives).

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi again y'all, Adobe afficionadi. :)

I don't accept the motor car analogy is really valid. Even though, in the heat of the moment I suggested it. For it to be valid we're looking at the motor car as a petrol processing machine, which is certainly something it is but in only the most rudimentary way (It simply burns it) and in order to achieve it's main purpose: movement.

BUT if we do look at it that way then it'd be a poor motor car that didn't tell you what petrol it was capable of processing, and which it processed best and which worst, etc..

And that's what Premiere appears to be, in terms of that analogy, a poor motor car.

It is a file processing piece of software. Processing files in order to achieve movie clips we can say, to maintain this analogy.

And it is a poor piece of software if it doesn't make clear how well it is going to do it with different files.

From a programmer's point of view software doesn't 'try' to run on substandard petrol. Software doesn't hide it's needs and abilities. Software doesn't demand more and more of the user. Software doesn't ascribe to the arcane. Software doesn't multiply difficulties.

Talk to some programmers. Writing software is all about the opposite of all those things. Inputs are carefully screened to see they are appropriate. Everything is carefully made fool-proof and tamper-proof. User friendliness is the number one priority. KISS is the byword, for ever and ever.

I like Stanley Jones' answer. He makes a serious attempt to address the question. Attempt? No, not an 'attempt', he actually does it and I thank him for it.

I like Jim Simon least, he's incapable of addressing the question apparently and claims I am 'not ready to edit yet', which is a ludicrous response.

Craig Howard is right on. Saying all that needed saying. Addressing the question succinctly and accurately.

Well: with the proviso that I have indicated clearly that Premiere has produced working acceptable output for me already, so it's not in question, really, whether it will or not. But Craig could still be right on because that output was from simply conjoined files massages to .flv. If I attempted some more detailed editing then it might not work.

Time to let it go. I've been involved with Adobe forum threads in the past, as Stanley Jones seems to be aware, I've followed one thread concerning the difficulties of installing an Adobe package with bemused fascination for months upon months. To me they are characterised by an inordinate love of Adobe and a blindness to its faults.

Saying that will antagonise many of you, I'm sure. Sorry about that. It is what I see.

And I feel for you all.

regards,

• 14. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                                    that's why we suggested you go back to nero... you might be able to understand it.
                                    • 15. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >And it is a poor piece of software if it doesn't make clear how well it is going to do it with different files.

I don't agree that such missing information has any effect on how well the software does what it is designed to do, which is how you define a piece of software as good or poor. Does it do what it is designed to do well?

Premiere does, in my view. That makes it a good piece of software.

Really, what I am seeing is someone who is in over his head blaming everything but the true culprit, his own lack of understanding.

>Software doesn't hide it's needs and abilities.

Neither does it promote them. That's what marketing departments are for.

>KISS is the byword, for ever and ever.

On that I agree, and to achieve that, an NLE will be better off specializing in few, professional formats, and eschewing broader support for arcane, consumer formats (such as yours).

>he's incapable of addressing the question apparently

That is only an apparency. The actuality is that following my advice will lead you to the answer - get the education one needs to use this level of software.

>Craig Howard is right on.

Some people do not see the wisdom of teaching one to fish, and will indeed offer to feed one a fish. What can you do?
                                      • 16. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                        shooternz Level 6
                                        >Craig Howard is right on.
                                        Some people do not see the wisdom of teaching one to fish, and will indeed offer to feed one a fish. What can you do?

and some people would not even p*ss on you if you were on fire.
                                        • 17. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          That's probably true.
                                          • 18. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                            Level 1
                                            I think Jim Simon thinks you're addressing your p*ss on remark to me, Craig. Whereas I think you're addressing it to him.

All these nasty dudes - and you yourselves know who you are - are banging the same drum. Premiere is a wonderful clever and therefore difficult package for anyone who isn't highly trained and very clever.

Therefore anyone who asks any questions needs to be told off, shunned, scorned, mocked and looked down upon from a great height by these 'clever' premiere users.

They're snobs and bad mannered ones at that, I'm inclined to say - though in fact I suppose that's a tautology.

And they almost always betray their own inadequacies in failure to address the question, illogicalities, lack of reasoning and failure to understand the basic tenets of computer programming.

I don't know how many forums those people frequent and participate in but I use on a continuing though, of course, desultory basis well over one hunded. I'd guess. Certainly one hundred I'd think. I could list them for you. And the point is I don't find this kind of yarra in any other forum anywhere else in the world.

It's incredibly boring going over the same thing again and again. Why does one do it? In an altruistic attempt to teach someone something? I think not. I'm not a very altruistic person. I think I do it because of my own egomania. But my egomania, real and large though it is, is not enough to keep me persisting for any longer than this one last time:

I asked one simple question.

It needed one simple answer.

Check yourselves out that you couldn't/wouldn't supply it.

regards,

• 19. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                              You got simple answers, see #1, #4 and #6 for instance. That you don't like it is your bad luck, no sense in posting a long winded drama here.
                                              • 20. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                > think Jim Simon thinks you're addressing your p*ss on remark to me, Craig. Whereas I think you're addressing it to him.

I think Jim knows very well "if the cap fits...".

@ ab. Do not be disheartened. There are always other people prepared to offer real help and advice in this forum. This is a place to share,learn and inform in matters regarding Premiere CS3 and is no one persons personal domain. Filter the responses till yu gt to what you need.

Thing is I believe that Jim Simons does not even use CS3 in his own business as a Wedding Movie producer but I guess he has read the manual cover to cover.
                                                • 21. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  AB,

>>I'm trying to start my first project and I'm stopped right at the front with this 'presets' thing. I don't know if it refers to the stuff I'm inputting or to the output I want.<<

In general the project setting you use should match the footage you are going to be working with in the program and not your output goal.

>>I am inputting .avi files made by my canon A520 digital camera. They are 320 x240 88kbps PCM 8 bit audio at 15 frames per second - so my windows XP system tells me.<<

In the Presets window you can create and save a custom preset to match these settings.
                                                  1-In the New Project dialog box click the Custom Settings Tab.
                                                  2-In the general category of the tab you will need to set the pull-down menus to match your video.
                                                  Editing Mode: Desktop
                                                  Timebase: 15:00 FPS
                                                  Frame Size: 320 x 240
                                                  Pixel Aspect ratio: Probably square, but that would be based on the way the camera takes the video.
                                                  Fields: Probably No Fields (progressive) but again that is based on the way the camera take the video.

>>None of these figures match any of the listed 'presets' and create my own custom preset? I wouldn't know what to create.<<

That is because the presets are created to match the professional and pro-sumer video standards used in major markets throughout the world. The video you are using wouldn't be on it because it isn't the type of video that is normally or even expected to be used in Premiere.

>>Nero doesn't ask any hard questions. What format Nero outputs I don't know. Why not use Nero again? Trying to get smarter and learn a new package, read a book that said to use Premier, want to put more work into it than Nero allows.<<

This is because Nero is a piece of consumer level software. In general consumer level software is designed to make everything as easy as possible for the user. Quite often it is designed to be "idiot proof". Professional level or even pro-sumer level software on the other hand is usually intended to be feature rich and is intended for a professional audience who will take the time to become educated in the way you use the program.
                                                  In some of the post above it seems that you are criticizing the program for not telling you everything you need to know about formats to use with it. This doesn't seem very realistic, it isn't the programs job to educate you, it is your job to educate yourself.
                                                  There is a reason that there is a class of professionals called video editors.
                                                  • 22. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Mr Jerron Smith. Thank you for your answer, too. You're another one of the 'good guys'.

I've had my question answered. It is finished. It is done. Thanks for that.

All these other things are beside the point. But I don't mind pursuing them a little if I can keep my cool and it seems beneficial. Most forums have their questions surrounded by a cloud of allied discussion.

I am not criticizing the program for not telling me all I need to know. I'm criticizing it for not telling me all IT needs to know. That's according to the advice - 'advice' - I was getting. Which was that my input was invalid. Programs are supposed to bar or at least flag invalid input. That was my point. And/or the help screens should make these limitations clear. That was my point.

In fact, as I've shown, it is not invalid input.

Feature rich does not mean abrogating this aspect of good program design.

Adobe has had donkey's years to improve all of their offerings. Donkey's years and megabucks to improve their tutorials and help screens. They never miss an opportunity to loudly shout their own praises but I feel the actual performance falls short.

Their fundamental attitude may well be perfectly represented by those writers here and elsewhere that I've found to inimical to myself and my needs and disappointing in their responses. And that fundamental attitude as represented by them appears to be: Any problems are your fault.

That is completely, 100%, the wrong way round for program design.

That being the case then it is also 100% the wrong way round for company policy, because, of course, to labour the obvious, bad program design will eventually lead to falling sales and/or being overtaken in the marketplace by innovative design and then commercial death.

I simply here and in a couple of other places where I've unfortunately run foul of the Adobe milieu, take issue with this attitude. Because it is not right, not valid and not necessary. Particularly not necessary to direct it to harmless smalltime questions/questioners such as myself.

Who the hell/what the hell do they think they are?

Buggered if I know.

Thanks again to yourself and the other truly helpful people for your help.

regards,

• 23. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                      AB --

I agree that Premiere should have better support of input formats, better documentation, etc. All that and more. I also don't like the way "newbie" questions are often answered on this forum, and I've stepped up to help many a beginner with even the most basic questions.

That being said, the questions you asked show not only a lack of understanding about Premiere but about digital video concepts in general. That's OK. We have all had to learn at some point.

But is not reasonable to expect Adobe's documentation to explain all of the concepts of editing, digital video formats, how it processes video compared to other programs, explicit specifications of standards, etc.

I hardly ever agree with Jim Simon and Harm Millaard about such things, but I have to concur that you need to learn some basics (and get a more professional camera) before you can get real use out of Premiere. Perhaps you can use your experience of learning Premiere as a springboard for doing so. That is quite possible, and it's how I have learned a great deal of things myself.

It does little good to ***** endlessly about a program's design flaws and limitations. All programs have them. You have the choice of using other software better suited to your needs and skills (Nero, Elements) -- or you can increase your knowledge about Premiere Pro (and digital video in general) and learn how to work around these limitations. That is your choice.

I understand that you were set-off by what you saw as less-than-helpful comments from some users. I may even agree with you here. But your original question about how to customize your project settings was answered quite early on in the thread. So, chill out. It is your right to ignore anything anyone tells you (and we all fail in this at some time or another).

If you do decide to continue using PPro (and these forums) I'll be glad to help you as questions and issues arise. Please do not be offended, however, when the answers are honest.
                                                      • 24. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Yeah, cool. You're trying to be reasonable and friendly. Well so am I, no problem there.

But answered 'early on'? Just where?

As soon as I thought it was answered I acknowledged that fact clearly but unfortunately (probably it was unfortunate) was already embroiled in pursuing the red herrings.

I can't get over how so many people drag things in as though I've asked for them when I definitely haven't.

Such as: "But is not reasonable to expect Adobe's documentation to explain all of the concepts of editing, digital video formats, how it processes video compared to other programs, explicit specifications of standards, etc."

When did I ever, ever, ever ask for anything like that?

I simply asked: what should I do about this presets thing?

A question that, let it be clearly, clearly, clearly noted, was eventually answered (be it early on or not) QUICKLY AND SIMPLY!

Hence it wasn't a difficult question and it didn't call for much and it certainly didn't call for 'an explanation of all the concepts of editing....', etc., etc.

Why people drag this stuff in is beyond me - nearly. I stretch myself a bit and can come up with a reason: perhaps they want to indicate to myself and the world just the entire depth and breadth of their own knowledge.

Well, okay. God bless 'em.

I meant to add to my response to an earlier post - Jerron Smith's excellent and useful post - that 'feature rich' is a bit rich.

If you look at what we're on about you can see that in essence when I do 'complain' about the software I'm talking about a LACK of features.

For me to tell Premiere what kind of file I'm giving it means I have to ask a prog in my computer to tell me. Premier should be equally capable of doing that. Premiere should tell me what sort of file I'm trying to give it. IF - and if you like ONLY IF - it is a 'feature rich professional level' piece of software.

That is a feature it should have. That would help make it 'feature rich'.

But it doesn't even, to my mind, reach a professional level of user manual/help screens/tutorial videos.

Doubtless it does something for you guys, perhaps several different things, different perhaps for each of you, that you find only Premiere can do. Well good for you. I am not, that I know of, asking for that performance. I simply asked for what Andrew Shalat's book told me to ask for. It was a valid question. It was capable of a simple answer. It eventually got one.

I may never get 'real use' (apparently creating Shalat's videos with it doesn't count as 'real use') from Premiere because I may never want it.

Either because I may never do that work or because a much better prog will appear on the stage that enables me to do it without all this nonsense.

I rather think the latter is what will happen.

It is obvious there's a market niche. It is obvious Adobe has left the door wide open.

So thank you, Dan and I hope this response didn't offend you.

If I pursue Premiere as a tool for video editing and dvd movie making I may well turn again to these forums and yourself to seek help. If I can brace myself first against the possibility of another deluge of less than appropriate responses.

regards,

• 25. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                          Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                          > When did I ever, ever, ever ask for anything like that?

Not exactly asked, but the questions were implied with:

> Nero doesn't ask any hard questions. What format Nero outputs I don't know... Is that what my Canon produces? DVD format .avi files? ... But DVD format and digital camera format (if it is different, I still don't know) ARE going to be produced and ARE going to be edited ... A question that could have been answered in a trice with an old fashioned manual and a decent index

I guess that I thought (considering a search for "project preset" in the Premiere help file would have gotten you the information you needed with much less typing) you were looking for something more in-depth. Perhaps I misunderstood.
                                                          • 26. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            >But answered 'early on'? Just where?

Posts 1 and 4. They may not have been the answers you wanted, but they were valid answers nonetheless.

>perhaps they want to indicate to myself and the world just the entire depth and breadth of their own knowledge.

Not really. It's more to indicate to you that you lack such knowledge, and that having it will greatly assist you in your efforts. Shoot the messenger if you like, but ignore the message to your own detriment.

>That is a feature it should have.

So... ask for it.
                                                            • 27. Re: How To Preset A New Project?
                                                              Yo, I'm with Ab. What a pack of stuck up lamebrain snots. That Jerrard dude answered the question:

In general the project setting you use should match the footage you are going to be working with in the program and not your output goal.

In the Presets window you can create and save a custom preset to match these settings.
                                                              1-In the New Project dialog box click the Custom Settings Tab.
                                                              2-In the general category of the tab you will need to set the pull-down menus to match your video.
                                                              Editing Mode: Desktop
                                                              Timebase: 15:00 FPS
                                                              Frame Size: 320 x 240
                                                              Pixel Aspect ratio: Probably square, but that would be based on the way the camera takes the video.
                                                              Fields: Probably No Fields (progressive) but again that is based on the way the camera take the video.

And that was all that was needed. All the rest was pure crap.