7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2007 2:50 PM by (jimbo_sun)

Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron

I have a severe latency problem with my Dell Inspiron 6400 which uses a Sigma-Tel soundcard which I am told by Dell is soldered to the Motherboard. Is there anything I can do about getting a proper ASIO sound card or something that will minimize this latency problem? I have 4 USB ports and an Express Card Slot.

Thanks.
        • 2. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          I believe that you can Google "audio card for laptop" and come up with a variety of choices.

What exactly do you mean by latency? What are the symptoms?
          • 3. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
            Level 1
            By latency, I mean a delay period between when I speak in the microphone and when I actually hear myself in the headphones. (And when the voice actually records). It's over half a second. I've been searching extensively on the Internet for info and with every second musician complaining that their soundcard doesn't even work at all it's quite a boggling affair. (So, Howard, your advice to "buy one" is a little lame and I wonder why you even make the effort to write that. I'm looking for specifics, (or at least a sincere effort to help).
            • 4. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              Fascinating. I haven't heard of this problem before.

As I said, there are quite a few PCMCIA audio cards. However, depending on what you are trying to achieve, you might want to bypass the audio card mic inputs.

Aanarav Sareen bought a Rode Podcaster mic (USB2.0) and sent me a sample of the audio. When I asked him what he used to clean it up to nicely (knowng his editing suite is kind of noisy) he explained it was just a new Mic and that it only picked up close audio. I immediately bought one for voiceovers. I don't know if that totally bypasses the audio card, but it might be an alternate solution.
              • 5. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
                Ulf Laursen Level 1
                I just bought this Rode Podcaster for use with soundbooth, and I am truely impressed. I use it on a workstation also, and here I have a minor "issue". The Rode Mic has output for the headphones to monitor, but when you plug it in, XP automaticly sets default in and output to the rode. That means you hav to change this manually to your soundcard, if you want output on your regular speakers, while the rode is connected.

If they had put an on/off switch on it would have solved the problem, but again it's only a small thing with a simple workarround. I can only recommend the Rode.

/Ulf
                • 6. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
                  Level 1
                  > Is there anything I can do about getting a proper ASIO sound card or something that will minimize this latency problem?

This is something you should look up in Google. It has nothing to do with Premiere. Even if you are using Premiere to record it is still not Premiere's problem.

I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.
                  • 7. Re: Soundcard latency problem with Dell Inspiron
                    Level 1
                    Thank you for your advice, Howard, for the Creative...Audigy... That one seems to show up alot when I did a Google search. I was just in Moog Audio today, in Montreal, and was shown a Moog Pre USB unit which he said would work fine in Premier Pro. (I do understand that it's not a problem with Premier).