8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 6:36 PM by (garyr32034)

Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????

I have been using 1.5 in a P4 system with a matrox rtx 100 card and the slow motion in particular has been alot better with the matrox card. I recently bought another sytem with dual processors loaded 1.5 and the slow quality is awful wspecially on panning clips. I have heard that CS3 has improved the quality of slow motion can anyone verify or enlighten me. Thinking of upgrading.

Thanks
      G
        • 1. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
          shooternz Level 6
          CS3 has Time Remapping ie variable frame rate in the same clip.

A P4 may not have enough grunt to run CS3 though.

And you may need to get past using RTX100 in your workflow because Premiere does not need it (Since CS2)
          • 2. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Having tested CS3's slow motion, I still find it lacking compared to the Matrox slow motion, which is the best I've seen to date.

But, I would still prefer to be without the Matrox issues, so I just dumped mine.
            • 3. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
              Level 1
              THanks Craig & Jim for the quick reply

Im still not sure what to do as pp 1.5 in my new system (dual core) the slow mo is just not acceptable and i will have to finish this project on the old box P4 with the matrox.
              But is the slow mo in CS3 better than 1.5? And Jim are you saying thatb your using CS3 or something else?
              I also have edius installed but not that familiar with the interface yet to get projects out quicker, but I will be running test on edius slow mo in the next couple of days to compare. I understand that edius slow mo is better. I hope!
              Anyhow I gotta get my new system running!

Thanks again guys
              G Ross
              • 4. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >But is the slow mo in CS3 better than 1.5?

Yes, but to my eye, still not as good as Matrox. Others have have a different opinion.

>Jim are you saying thatb your using CS3 or something else?

Primarily I still work with 2.0, but I also do some freelance editing using CS3 about twice a month.
                • 5. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
                  Level 1
                  Thanks Jim

I did a test project using diferent codecs on exporting the avi's i think one problem was pp was set to prgressive scan. after changing to lower fields first it cleaned up somewhat. I exported the avis to my P4 box and exproted to dvd with matrox and burnt a dvd in encore it looks much better but i think I had a problem with the quality of the capture footage so im going to retry a recapture on some of the clips and test them in both boxes. It really sucks when a new system slows down the workflow. Not sure what to do about the new box yet, ie what to add etc. I captured most of the bad footage in edius then brought it into pp. From the answers here i guess im not quite ready to upgrade to CS3. still puzzled>

G Ross
                  • 6. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Oh, Gary. Please use proper grammar, capitalization and punctuation. Internet shortcuts just make your readers work that much harder to understand you. I look at that mess above and don't even want to read it.
                    • 8. Re: Upgrade from 1.5 to CS3 ????
                      Level 1
                      sorry to confuse you.