5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 2:32 AM by (WalterD)

Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage

Level 1
      Hi,
      I get artifacts in my screen-captured footage (camstudio, lossless codec) that doesnt seem to appear on other peoples systems. tried different framerate-settings in camstudio, but always get premiere displaying it faulty.
      Premiere also tells me that there are several empty frames in my footage, although AfterEffects and the win media player preview it without problems.
      Export from AE gives the same results though..

I record at 1024x768 with 30fps and also use these settings for my project. i also set square pixels, progressive-scan, 30fps-timecode, videoforwindows and no compression (same prob w lossless codec)

im definitely a newbie so don't hesitate to point out the most obvious mistakes one could possibly make :) thanks for your time!
        • 1. Re: Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage
          Level 1
          Walter,
          I have made a few tutorials in Camtasia Studio by Techsmith, and I just wanted to be sure that's what you meant by "camstudio",
          If you don't mind, I was wondering how you were doing this. I generally, capture the screen motions and audio with Camtasia, which results in a *.camarec file.
          I then edit this file in Camtasia, and using "create video", I'll export it as a .wmv file and upload it to the website to be played.
          Would you mind telling me why you use 30fps and the size of 1024x728 for your final project?
          I'm going to start using Flash, and since I just got a tutorial on how to use Audition, After Effects and Dreamweaver to make the tutorial, I may do that, but so far I'm not convinced it it necessary to go outside of Camtasia.
          John Rich
          • 2. Re: Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage
            Level 1
            Hey John, thanks for your reply. The resolution I use for capturing is the resolution of the 3d-app I'm filming.
            I never got my hands on camtasia, I use camstudio because it's allegedly simple, and Premiere for editing because i have the fully documented CS, so I'd rather stick with that.

I found that camstudio in combination with the 3d application doesn't seem to be able to record at the predetermined framerate, which might be the reason for the missing frames.

So my question would be:
            Could performance issues result in difficulties for camstudio with setting the keyframes at the desired intervals? and could a shift in the placing of the keyframes cause my artifacts?
            • 3. Re: Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              > Could performance issues result in difficulties for camstudio with setting the keyframes at the desired intervals

Absolutely. Try sparser keyframes and maybe your capture app will keep up a little better.

> and could a shift in the placing of the keyframes cause my artifacts?

In general, Premiere / AE do not like temporally compressed ("keyframed") formats. I have run into this problem trying to use Camtasia captures.

I use VirtualDub to open the original capture and then export it using an intraframe lossless compressor, such as Huffyuv. The files will be much larger, but this will likely solve your artifacts.
              • 4. Re: Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage
                Level 1
                Thanks for your input Dan! I've been trying to "clean up" my capture with VDub and I indeed got rid of the artifacts and empty frames, but I also seem to have lost some of the valid frames here. might have to take a look at the intraframe compression you mentioned.
                • 5. Re: Premiere shows artifacts in screen-captured footage
                  Level 1
                  Well, in general this seems to work.
                  one more question though: I foolishly captured some footage at 200fps which I will hardly be able to shoot again. now when i let VDub revamp it to 30fps it just seems to play my 200fps footage at a 30fps rate,which is of course too slow. is that what the video>framerate option in VDub actually does, just stretch the footage?
                  I figured, i'd just take the original 200fps footage to AP and let it export to a 30fps clip. seems to work if i use the indeo compression.

recapitulating (for who ever cares):
                  - original capture: 1024x768 at up to 200fps...
                  - taking it to VirtualDub for recompression to huffyuv, to get rid of artifacts
                  - exporting from AP at 30fps with Indeo codec

awesome so far. any tips on improvement? thanks for now anyway!