9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 9:05 AM by Jim_Simon

How to edit MP4 in CS3

Hi

I have few mp4 files which I need to edit in Preimier CS3, The only thing which I got is video not the sound, I know windows by default does not encode the sound and I need to download the right codec, Could some one help me to locate the right codec or the proedure to Edit these MP4 files.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

See: FAQ:Why is there no audio in my imported MPEG file?

See also: FAQ: How do I import xyz format files?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >I have few mp4 files which I need to edit in Preimier CS3

That could be the problem. MP4 is not really supported in Premiere Pro. It's a consumer final delivery format, and not a good choice for source material to be edited.
            • 3. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory
              • 4. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                Level 1
                Ok so far I have tried the following and have no luck

Copy the dll
                using MpegStreamClip (it is erroring "no video /audio track found)
                DGIndex (can play the video but not audio)

These files are generated through the Sony HD camera with SDI output.

Intrestingly one of the fellow member is able to run these files in his adobe PproCs3 successfully but is not willing to transfer the knwoledge.
                • 5. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  > These files are generated through the Sony HD camera with SDI output.

Which one? How did you capture through SDI?
                  • 6. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I've had luck with DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 for many MP4 files. It's not freeware, but does have a trial, or did. Now, it is probably that I have the CODECs necessary, where you may not. That is the main key to file format conversion - that, and not expecting too much quality from an already highly compressed file.

Do not know if G-Spot will read MP4's, but will check. If so, it will tell you both the Audio and Video CODECs used in the file.

First thing I'd try, however, is Apple QT Pro (US$40 upgrade to free QT player), and see how it does. It can Save_As (convert) to DV-AVI. If it throws a CODEC error, it will usually pop-up the Apple Web page for CODECs. Unfortunately, it will not tell you which one, on that list, you need for that particular file. Most are free, but some require a payment.

Will report back with G-Spot info.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Grabbed a PodCast MP4 and G-Spot did not give any info, plus reported errors on render - it also only saw the Audio.

In QT-Pro, Ctrl-J brought up the data: Audio = AAC and Video = H.264. If you do much with MP4 files, I'd definitely get the Pro version of QT. At least if it throws an error, you can Ctrl-J on the file to get its Properties, and then know what to download from the Apple (or others) Web site.

I would also definitely convert to DV-AVI from QT-Pro, before Importing into PP, to save grief later.
                    • 7. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                      Level 1
                      Hi Millard

Dont take it wrong they were captured through Sony EX1 Camera on their memory card. and then dump on the harddtive. Not from the SDI output to any caputring device.
                      • 8. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Why not use the Browser to transfer the data?
                        • 9. Re: How to edit MP4 in CS3
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Do you have the latest 3.2 version of Premiere, which is required for support of the EX1?

Also, how are you importing the files into Premiere? There is a specific method which must be used, something about importing a folder, rather than the individual files.

Also, while the files do have an .mp4 wrapper, they are technically MPEG 2 files, not MPEG 4. This makes a difference in the answers we give.

Finally, there is an specific subforum for EX1 questions. Asking there at least let's us know right away that you're using that camera, rather than taking 7 posts for us to find out.