4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 7:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Handwriting effect for text

ytlevine Level 1
      I want to make a title that will have the text look like it is being written on by hand, in order, etc.
      How would I do this?
      I would assume this is more an After Effects thing, but I have no idea where to start.
        • 1. Re: Handwriting effect for text
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Look down the page for "Afterista"

http://cowcast.creativecow.net/after_effects/index.html
          • 2. Re: Handwriting effect for text
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            First, thank you, Steven, for that tutorial. I'm still trying to get my head around AE, and this will a good place to dive in. Just wish that Cow's viewer was a bit larger, but then I'll look at it on the big monitors upstairs.

Next, Ytlevine,

You can do something similar in Photoshop, with the use of Layer Masks for your writing. I did similar, by taking my "Background" (a chalk board) and then adding a Text Layer using another script font. I added a Layer Mask (Masking out the entire Text Layer) to the Text Layer, and then basically painted in the the areas that I wanted the text to appear. This was a bit like Roto-scoping. I applied the first Mask, then Save_As Chalkboard_01. Painted out the Mask to the next "stroke" and did a Save_As Chalkboard_02. To fill the frame (a Menu animation for Encore), I did about 60 Save_As for all of my text. I then Imported these into PP after setting my Duration for Stills to ~0.5 sec. The handling of the glyphs took some close-up Masking work with a fine Brush, but worked well.

In my case, I added the SFX of chalk on a chalkboard, as my background Audio.

Using my "by-hand" method did not allow for any "automation," like in AE, but then I could "draw in" each letter, as if it was being written onto the board. I also had fewer overlaps in my Type, than in the tut.

If you have AE and AI, I'd go with Steven's tutorial. If not, and you do have PS, you might want to try the Layer Masks and Save_As method. Experiment with the Still's Duration in PP, but remember that if you wish to globally change this, you'll need to re-Import the stills.

Again, thanks Steven - gotta' go play - bye!

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Handwriting effect for text
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

See also: Tutorial:Using the Write-On Effect to Create Handwritten Text

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: Handwriting effect for text
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Good one Eddie. I've use Write-On, but never to the degree that Jeff does. I learned quite a bit from this. It also works for one who doesn't have Photoshop, or AE.

If one is possessive of a Wacom (later models with tilt and pressure, and califgraphy mode), AND great penmanship, they could also just write their text. Not sure if would be any quicker, than AE, Photoshop, or Write-On though, plus with those, you get text in a font, not freehand.

Thanks,

Hunt