9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 5:20 PM by (jackbarber)

How do I save individual clips?

How do I save clips without saving an entire project?

I take video of stock car races and I need to save crash clips to make a crash video at the end of the season. I don't have the room to save all the videos from all the nights of racing. I just want to save the clips to a file. Can someone please tell me how to do that in CS3?

I used to use Premiere 6.5 and it was not an issue. I have just started using CS3 and don't see Save Clip As on the menu.

Thanks
      Tonya
        • 1. Re: How do I save individual clips?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Set the workarea bar over the clip you want to export and then File > Export as a DV-AVI
          • 2. Re: How do I save individual clips?
            shooternz Level 6
            If you capture your clips with 'Scene Detect'...you already have a copy of the individual clip if you stopa and start the camera as you shoot the action.

If you do not use Scene Detect and capture the entire tape (?) ...follow Stevens suggestion and export the section you need.

BTW : saving an "entire project" is somewhat different than saving an entire clip.
            • 3. Re: How do I save individual clips?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              That would be some pretty freaky timing if she was good enough to consistently stop and start just before a crash.
              • 4. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                shooternz Level 6
                Well I can almost certainly guarantee that they wouldnt roll the camera(s) continuously between races.

Exporting from sub clips would be another suggestion.
                • 5. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                  TradeWind Level 3
                  Place the video clip in the source monitor and mark your in/out points around the clip you want to keep. Then, with the source monitor still selected, chose File > Export > Movie. Then, in the export options choose "In to Out" instead of "Entire Clip." You have to set the in/out points and export one at a time (no batch options here).

Another way to approach this is to set your in/out points in the source monitor, drop the clips on the timeline one after the other and then use the project manager function to export a trimmed project. This will actually go through and save an individiual file for each of the clips on the timeline. There's only one "gotcha" here, you just need to make sure that you have a good amount of space trimmed from the original video between each clip (needs to be at least 5-10 frames in my experience...if you add handles in the project manager settings, you need to account for that duration between clips as well).

For example, if you have a crash scene at 01;11;00;00 until 01;11;30;00, but your next scene begins at 01;11;31;00 you will probably want to trim some frames off one clip or the other, or else it will become a single clip.

Make sense?

Good luck!
                  • 6. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >I can almost certainly guarantee that they wouldnt roll the camera(s) continuously between races.

Probably not. But how likely is it that a car will crash between races? Seems like they'd have to actually be driving for a crash to occur.
                    • 7. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Not what I said at all...

If they are not rolling between races that means they maybe rolling cameras during races...when the crashes occur.

When they stop the camera(s) that allows Scene detect to work and they would have the section of video that includes the crash (plus overlap)obviously. I was not sure how the OP captures or from what but made the suggestion as an alternative in case they were un aware of scene detect and how it might serve them.

Curious - Do wedding camera people run camera(s)continuously for the entire duration of the event or do they stop /start?
                      • 8. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >If they are not rolling between races that means they maybe rolling cameras during races...when the crashes occur.

You figure that one out all by yourself, did ya?

>Do wedding camera people run camera(s)continuously

For the ceremony, one long clip. For the rest, I stop/start a hell of a lot more than someone recording a race, which will probably run continuously for the duration of either the race, or the tape. Which is why I had to bust on you a little bit for the suggestion to use Scene Detect. It's doesn't seem likely to be a factor in this case, as few people would have the prescience to stop and start right before a crash, thus creating a separate clip for easy extraction.
                        • 9. Re: How do I save individual clips?
                          sorry if I've missed anything, but scanned through and no-one's offered:

highlight the video, overlay graphics video and however many channels you've got of track, comentator voiceover & zoom sound clips* at the end of your race / race day cs3 project.

(*sub-clips? the ones you've razored+copied out of the big single take race [master?]clip, anyway)

copy (ctrl+c) them, open the end-of-season-crash-cs3 project and paste (ctrl+v) them in.

been doing it on british stockcar pp2/cs3 projects since 2006*, try it!

edit- reading back it seems too simple, as top line.