6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 1:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Is DivX a problematic CODEC

shooternz Level 6
      I am trouble shooting a little issue and wonder if DivX is a problematic CODEC that maybe I do not need in my system.

I have no idea where it came from - NeroDVD or Power DVD Players maybe????

Does Premiere need it?

If needs be ...how do I purge it from system.
        • 1. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
          Dan Isaacs Level 2
          It shouldn't be problematic to have it on your system. I would not recommend trying to edit DivX files in Premiere, however.

Is there no uninstall option in Add/Remove programs?
          • 2. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
            shooternz Level 6
            Wont be using it to edit.

No Add/ Remove specifically related to DivX.

Thanx Dan
            • 3. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Craig,

I've got their Pro version (applications and CODEC) on both systems, and have never had a problem with their presence. In Add/Remove, I have both the applications and the CODEC listed (XP-SP2). I also have VidX CODEC installed, with no problems. I'd wonder about the installation of this CODEC, based on your reply (post 2).

I agree with Dan, about editability, though have had to do that in a few cases - it ain't a pretty sight, but can be done if someone pushes you into a corner.

The one anomoly that I've encountered is that some DivX AVI's play fine in WMP, while some do not. They will play in the DivX "player." As my DivX CODEC is the latest, it is supposed to encompass all previous versions. Do not know why WMP has about a 10% failure rate. Next time, I'll run a good one and a bad one through G-Spot, to see if I can spot some difference.

Don't know of any of this helps you, as it's just observation on my part.

BTW - what is the problem, that you're trouble-shooting?

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Craig,

Just saw this: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5f286/4

Seems that someone was having a problem with an inproperly installed DivX CODEC. Since your's does not show in Add/Remove - I wonder.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I am trouble shooting an issue with a Black Magic Intensity Pro Card that went a bit weird sometime after an Automatic Upgrade

QT was affected same time and so I wondered about other CODECs

QT issue was fixed with an update and I am about to reinstall the BM and its drivers.

The DivX question was a general shot in the dark because I also read the post you referred to.
                  • 6. Re: Is DivX a problematic CODEC
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Good luck! Sorry I wasted those 1's & 0's. I was surprised that you had not seen that post, as it was current. Now I know why you were asking about DivX.

As I said, I've had it on my machines and never a problem. It has co-existed perfectly. I just wish people wouldn't ask that the output be edited, but that's another story.

Hunt