19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2008 4:46 PM by Jim_Simon

Red Camera support on the way...

Level 1
      http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2008/07/red_camera_support.html

This sounds very cool...I don't own a Red camera, but I am looking at Scarlet for next year.
        • 1. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          THAT could be very good news! I, too, am interested in the Scarlett.
          • 2. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
            Level 1
            Hi gentlemen,

what is "the Scarlett" ?

red camera - is this by any chance, .mts file support ?

Dave.
            • 3. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
              Level 1
              Scarlet is Red's 3K camera. It's supposed to be released next year.

http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet
              • 4. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                TradeWind Level 3
                Uh oh...I'm gonna need some towels for all my FCP friends when they start crying on my shoulder.

Seriously though, it's good news when a major 3rd party starts working with Adobe like this. One of Adobe's strengths has always been their open platform that allows it to scale with 3rd party support...a lot of people see this as a weakness, especially when you hear this conversation:

Adobe User: "When will we have support for XXXXXXX in PPro?"
                Adobe Rep: "Just as soon as the 3rd party guys get on board."

Sometimes it means being last on the boat (even though Adobe's implementations for things like XDCAM EX and P2 are the most complete). Other times it means being first on the boat. And the RED stuff, for once, is such a huge boat. Read the RED forums lately and you'll see more than a fistful of people contemplating adding PPro CS3 to their workflow, or even considering jumping their FCP ship entirely (hey, if all they're cutting is RED, then it makes sense in this scenario).

My only concern is this....Adobe has a huge opportunity to blow the doors open on both the PC and Mac sides with this thing, so I just hope they work with RED well enough to ensure that all the features and bugs and stuff are ironed out well before all these potential new users show up. There will probably not be a very long window of opportunity here before Apple and Avid (and Sony Vegas...?) end up playing catch up.
                • 5. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                  Level 1
                  I wonder if they will include any bug fixes with this update?
                  • 6. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                    TradeWind Level 3
                    I think this is actually going to be a plugin from RED that allows native processing in PPro and AE....I don't think Adobe is building it, nor will they place it in a patch/update.

Time will tell...we should have an answer within a few weeks.
                    • 7. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      The quote from Jannard said "within a week", and that was posted on July 30, 08.
                      • 8. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        Remember; Its a Beta "within a week". There is no announcement on the production version .
                        • 9. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          Probably SOON, which means September, October Or November. It also does not mention which year, so it could be September 2009, around next year's IBC.
                          • 10. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            At any rate....I'm interested in Scarlett as well...a 3K camera for under $3K, mighty nice. And if it works inside my NLE of choice (PPro) then that certainly greases the wheels.

Of course, there's never much info about any of these products until they ship or announce order taking. And with placing an order...well, once they start building them, it's likely over a year before you get yours.

From what I've seen of the RED One camera, it's worth the wait.

Also, rental houses will have them available sooner for those "must have RED" kind of shoots.

Speculating is fun, eh?
                            • 11. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                              Level 1
                              >I'm interested in Scarlett as well...a 3K camera for under $3K, mighty nice.

Do you really think that thing will do what you need right out of the box for $3K?

Call me a skeptic but I'll believe it when I see it.
                              • 12. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                Level 1
                                The accessories alone will probably cost a fortune.
                                • 13. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                  Level 1
                                  If you read further on the Red forum board, you'll find this from a Red team member...

"The plugin for release next week will be an alpha / beta. While it should be quite solid (since all software is using the same layer underneath) it is a new product on a new platform (for us). So please test it and provide feedback so we can fix things.

We're also not done yet feature wise (there will be many and frequent updates to the Adobe integration) so we'll need to grow in that area too."

I was hoping that it was coming from Adobe, and it would come in a patch that would fix a few things. But I'm starting to think that we've seen the last patch for CS3, and we may be seeing CS4 by years end.
                                  • 14. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                    TradeWind Level 3
                                    > Do you really think that thing will do what you need right out of the box for $3K?

No, sorry, didn't realize that was implied by my comment. In fact, I've never purchased any camera (or just about anything) that didn't either require accessories or at least benefit near the point of necessity from some other add-on.

If I buy a camera, I probably start looking for:
                                    - a case
                                    - lens control remote
                                    - battery(-ies)
                                    - filters
                                    - eyepiece replacement
                                    - mattebox
                                    - screw on or replacement lens(es)

I just take for granted these days that if I buy a new camera, I'll usually need some new accessories to get the functionality I need. With RED, it's a much more modular platform, so you tend to purchase the base and then receive the kit according to your specs and budget thereafter.

Scarlett will almost certainly be different in many respects from the RED One, however....it's a much smaller form factor, and designed for a different demographic than the accessory-crazy feature film production market. So the add-on requirements probably won't be nearly as extensive.
                                    • 15. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >It also does not mention which year

The date on the post which says "within a week" is 7-30-08, which means support should be here by Wednesday, August 6th at the latest.
                                      • 16. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                        Level 1
                                        Just to mention it - I happily DOWNGRADED from hdv to quality dv (XL2) a few days ago. These 2-3-4-5k's solutions do not - within the shell of ppro - live up to expectations
                                        • 17. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          I don't see how that follows, demo. You tested HDV and didn't like it. What's that got do do with editing R3D files, which you haven't done yet, and which do not suffer from the same liabilities as HDV?
                                          • 18. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                            TradeWind Level 3
                                            I also would like to better understand what that statement means...2K footage is not even close to HDV. Err...might have implied that the wrong way. 2K footage is 2,000 pixels, HDV is 1080i at best, 1440w. And HDV is an MPEG-2, long GOP setup. The Scarlett (as we understand it so far) and the other RED cameras do not use such a lossy compression scheme.

I haven't heard of anyone else going to true HD or to 2K, 3K, 4K and coming back from that. I have heard of people who use both solutions (run-n-gun shooting on DV or other SD, and chroma key work or similarly demanding tasks on their high end equipment).
                                            • 19. Re: Red Camera support on the way...
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              Red does use lossless compression to store the RAW data. Not nearly the same flaws as HDV.