9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2008 10:10 PM by (jujufactory)

Open letter to Steven Gotz.

Level 1
      Steven,

I wanted to get back to the Aspect vs Prospect issue.

As you may or may not know, networks will now often require a HD CAM master. That's full HD.

I have three ways to go:

(1) HIGH END SOLUTION
      Shoot on X.D CAM, edit on Prospect HD, and export final edit to HD CAM.

(2) MEDIUM SOLUTION
      Shoot with EX1, edit in Prospect HD, and just export final edit to HD CAM.

(3) LESS EXPENSIVE SOLUTION
      Shoot with Z7, edit with prospect HP (which I assume bumps the footage up to full HD during acquisition), and just export final edit to HD CAM.

(4) LEAST EXPENSIVE SOLUTION
      Shoot with Z7, edit on Aspect, and export to HD CAM through a direct transfer conversion.

To what extend will the networks QC notice the difference and what are your general comments regarding the viability of these four solutions?
        • 1. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          If you're considering XDCAM, you may also want to look at AVC-I with the Panasonic HPX3000.
          • 2. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
            Level 1
            Are you kidding? The HPX3000 is more expensive than the Vericam. Obviosuly if I'm going to go that far then I may as well go for the Genesis.
            • 3. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              You are way above my head on this. I will attempt to get the experts to answer here, although they hang out on the DVInfo forum.
              • 4. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                The Genesis would be another viable option, as would possibly the Red One and Arriflex D-20. Once you start talking XDCAM, I assumed renting was on your mind.
                • 5. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                  Level 1
                  Jim listen to me. You are out of touch with reality. In the high end solutions, Genesis wins hands down. The Arriflex and Red One are trailing behind Genesis. The Arri solution is not a standalone solution and the camera requires cable to be hooked up to an external recording source. It is therefore a non viable solution and Arri is scrambling to get a real HD product out. So far we're still waiting. As for Red One, it is an older system and does not hold up to Genesis. However, Genesis is very expensive to rent. Much more expensive than the SONY F900 which is the industry high end standard.

The XDCAM solutions are the bridge between the high end and medium end solutions. The reason I would not rent an HPX3000 is because it is too expensive for medium end, not an industry standard like the F900 and not the best like the Genesis. It fits into no category.

To me, there are only 4 viable steps:

TOP OF THE LINE: Genesis (HD CAM SR)
                  HIGH END: SONY F900 (HD CAM)
                  MEDIUM END: SONY PDW 530 or PDW 700 (XD CAM)
                  LOW END: SONY EX1 (EX CAM)
                  CHEAP SOLUTION: Z7 or JVC 251 (Progressive HDV)
                  NO MONEY SOLUTION: Canon G1 (HDV)
                  • 6. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                    Level 1
                    Jim listen to me. You are out of touch with reality. In the high end solutions, Genesis wins hands down. The Arriflex and Red One are trailing behind Genesis. The Arri solution is not a standalone solution and the camera requires cable to be hooked up to an external recording source. It is therefore a non viable solution and Arri is scrambling to get a real HD product out. So far we're still waiting. As for Red One, it is an older system and does not hold up to Genesis. However, Genesis is very expensive to rent. Much more expensive than the SONY F900 which is the industry high end standard.

The XDCAM solutions are the bridge between the high end and medium end solutions. The reason I would not rent an HPX3000 is because it is too expensive for medium end, not an industry standard like the F900 and not the best like the Genesis. It fits into no category.

To me, there are only 4 viable steps:

TOP OF THE LINE: Genesis (HD CAM SR)
                    HIGH END: SONY F900 (HD CAM)
                    MEDIUM END: SONY PDW 530 or PDW 700 (X.D CAM)
                    LOW END: SONY EX1 (EX CAM)
                    CHEAP SOLUTION: Z7 or JVC 251 (Progressive HDV)
                    NO MONEY SOLUTION: Canon G1 (HDV)
                    • 7. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I disagree with much of what you believe juju. But I just don't think discussing it will get me anywhere.
                      • 8. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                        shooternz Level 6
                        juju... I thought you were making a Feature Film.

Where does network QC come into that?

....but for a feature film I would do a couple of tests so you do not get any surprises in workflow or end result.

My guess is that your budget will determine what you go with in the end anyway and your question is more academic.
                        • 9. Re: Open letter to Steven Gotz.
                          Level 1
                          That is why I limited my question initially to 4 options. Obviously if I can het away with one of the cheaper solutions I'll pick that one.