4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2008 2:32 PM by (brit_bunkley)

Flat Screen HD presentations, laptop output and pixel ratio confusion

I have a few questions:

1. I have been making videos using a PAL Sony full HD 1080 camera whose pixels ratio is at 1440x 1080. However I dont have a Blue Ray player or a Blue Ray burner (which are still very expensive here in NZ). Besides Blue Ray is at a larger ratio -1920 x 1080. I do have a new HP laptop with a HDMI output.

I would like to present the video on a HD flat screen with the best possible resolution without stretching the image. Can I use the laptop, or do I need to buy or rent a blue ray player and find a service bureau to burn a blue ray?

2. Apparently here in NZ most flat screens are either HD - or now Blue Ray. HD has a ratio of 1366 x 766 pixels. The new true HD are 720p ⁄ 1080i ⁄ 1080p HD signal compatible(which is 1920 x 1080I think). But none of these pixels ratios relate to my camera footage. What do I do for compatibility?

3. I hear that there are upscaler DVD players. How does this work if PAL DVDs are made at 720x 480? Are commercial DVDs actually a higher pixel ratio than Premiere DVDs? Do they work with Premier/Encore produced DVDs?

All this info is for an upcoming art show that includes video rendered in Premiere. The gallery director is hoping get a new Sony blue ray flat screen on loan, but he may not be able to, so I thought that now might be the time to get one for myself (to use for this show and for future shows as well)...and to upgrade from our familys old 21 TV to a flat screen and take advantage of the nationwide (NZ) sales. Can I get away with a cheaper (than Blue Ray) HD flat screen with a ratio of 1366 x 766 pixels? (...and then fine-tuned complications arise with Plasma vs LCD, motion blur, etc.)
        • 1. Re: Flat Screen HD presentations, laptop output and pixel ratio confusion
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          1. Blu-ray players handle 1440X1080i non square pixels just fine. And Windows Media will probably do the trick for you just fine, so use that since you don't have Blu-ray..

2. Export to Windows Media at 1920X1080 using square pixels. But I doubt that your laptop will export to an external monitor using 1920X1080, but you can try.

3. The upscaler works with Encore mad DVDs, but not as well as with professionally made Hollywood DVDs, mostly because the commercially made DVDs start with film and not video and are compressed by experts frame by frame.
          • 2. Re: Flat Screen HD presentations, laptop output and pixel ratio confusion
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >full HD 1080 camera whose pixels ratio is at 1440x 1080.

Just for clarification, "Full HD" is defined as 1920 x 1080 progressive. Your camera is not Full HD. No HDV cameras are, as they all shoot at 1440 x 1080 interlaced.

>Besides Blue Ray is at a larger ratio -1920 x 1080.

Blu-ray can actually handle many frame sizes:

1920 x 1080 - HD
            1440 x 1080 - HD
            1280 x 720 - HD
            720 x 480 - SD NTSC
            720 x 576 - SD PAL

>Are commercial DVDs actually a higher pixel ratio than Premiere DVDs?

No, they're identical in resolution. For PAL it would be 720 x 576

>a new Sony blue ray flat screen

Again just for clarification, Blu-ray refers only to the disks and the players, not the TVs. So you would say "Sony High-Def flat screen".
            • 3. Re: Flat Screen HD presentations, laptop output and pixel ratio confusion
              Level 1
               The upscaler works with Encore made DVDs,

Thanks. I still cant get my head around up-scaling DVD players since they use low, normal resolution pixel 720x 480 video. Does it interpolate?

I tired authoring a normal DVD of the video from a 1440 x 1080 mpeg file. It trancoded the file to the non Blue Ray DVD. Would the DVD be any better than if I authored it from a 720x 480 file; and would it play better with an upscaling DVD player? (BTW the file also showed banding when played on the computer using media player - as if something was wrong with the interlacing.)

I looked again today. It seems that at this point a plasma screen ("HD ready" ...at 1366 x 766 pixels) might be the best compromise for a flat screen since it is ½ price the Real HD (at 1920 x 1080 pixels) screen.
              • 4. Re: Flat Screen HD presentations, laptop output and pixel ratio confusion
                Level 1
                As an update: I settled for the plasma which seems to have the best picture. Also the up-scaling DVD was notably better than the normal DVD; and at normal resolution, the Pal video on this player looked much better than a high resolution mpeg being pumped out of my laptop on the plasma TV.