12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 6:30 PM by Jeff Bellune

Sound Booth vs Audition revisted

Level 1
      As tired and untimely as another Sound Booth vs Audition thread might be, I wanted to get the opinion of long time users on Sound Booth now that it has been in service a good while.

I find Sound Booth to be very slow in processing files. Much slower than Audition or Sound Forge.

Also I think that SB lacks finite controls in its audio filters.

I've tried using SB when working on a CS3 system but usually end up frustrated then use Sound Forge or Audition.

One benefit of Sound Booth's integration is it has taught me to rely more on Premiere Audio filters, experimenting and mastering them to a greater degree.

If anyone cares to comment on how they have employed Sound Booth, how they grade the overall processing speed, and the overall SB interface I would be interested in reading.

stephen gerard

* I've posted in the premiere forum to reach long time adobe suite users with both Sound Booth and Audition experience.
        • 1. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I only use Audition. Soundbooth is xxxx IMO.
          • 2. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
            TradeWind Level 3
            I more or less agree with Harm...I remember when we all initially found out about Soundbooth replacing Audition in the suite, we were cautioned to make judgement only after giving Soundbooth a try. We were told about all these fantastic simple little options, speed, and functionality like the scores and such.

Well, none of it was true, and of course, the Adobe Resource Central has been nothing short of disappointing as well. It seems to be down an awful lot, and there's just not any worthwhile material there compared to what Audition previously offered on the installation disc.

In other words....it absolutely feels like Adobe became the ones who abandoned it without giving it much of a try. I tried Soundbooth, and found it severely lacking in the fine-tuning functions that I used on absolutely every production. If I were just producing web A/V only, and I wanted quick 'n dirty audio, it might work. But even my web projects demand a sort of finessing that Soundbooth cannot provide.

My $.02
            • 3. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
              Level 1
              I have to say that I've used the music creation part of Soundbooth, and really liked that. I wish there were more scores available, as I've now used them all too many times.

I do use it for quick clean up jobs, but I agree that Audition is still the software I use the most for bigger jobs. Audition is so much faster and more powerful.

I've played with the Soundbooth CS4 beta a little, and I like what I've seen...it's improved. I'm waiting until the final version before I make a judgment call. I wouldn't say Adobe abandoned it, but I would say that they released a version (CS3) that could have had a lot more features.
              • 4. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                Level 1
                > how they grade the overall processing speed, and the overall SB interface I would be interested in reading.

I really didn't notice a speed difference when processing filters in SB - it was just too limited. It's a dumbed-down piece o' crap and I don't know why anybody who has Audition would even consider using it.

Keep in mind SB was made to work on the mac as well. Might explain why they felt the need to make it "pretty" and simpler to use for these folks. :)
                • 5. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I like it for most of the things I need to do. Very easy to achieve the results I'm looking for. It's only occasionally that I which I could still use Audition.
                  • 6. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                    Level 1
                    Call me simple minded but why does soundbooth exist at all since auditions is already designed for audio editing and processing?
                    • 7. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      > why does soundbooth exist at all since auditions is already designed for audio editing and processing

I don't know either, but I imagine since they bought "Audition" from Syntrillium that their own from-scratch audio editor is easier to integrate with their other tools.

Or maybe they want everybody to be so unhappy with SoundBooth that they go and buy Audition.

Just a guess ???
                      • 8. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                        Level 1
                        If I own Auditions, should I worry about figuring out Soundbooth?
                        • 9. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          >> Call me simple minded but why does soundbooth exist at all since auditions is already designed for audio editing and processing?

MAC Port.

And, many flash designers and video editors find audition's interface intimidating for typical audio tweeks.

So; re-write audition for mac port and make it friendlier, or start from scratch. Sb is start from scratch solution for both platforms with a friendly interface.

Audition is still around and supported for audio folk. So, if you love it; keep using it.

Curt
                          • 10. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                            Level 1
                            Thanks for your thoughts. I'll check out the next iteration of Sound Booth maybe.

And jujufactory : No. The answer is no for now.
                            • 11. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                              Level 1
                              Another thought. I just upgraded to CS4. In After Effects, it shows an edit in Audition available. Not so in Premiere, why oh why Adobe?

When I upgraded to Audition 3 (with Premiere Pro 2) it disappeared until I did a screwy little workaround of renaming the Audition 3 Folder to Audition 2.

I love using Audition, Adobe sells it. Why don't they leave it available in the edit in?

Kevin L
                              • 12. Re: Sound Booth vs Audition revisted
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                Apparently Adobe listened to users like you. Edit in Audition will make its return to Premiere Pro CS4 in the first update.