4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 3:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Importing video from DVD to Premiere Pro CS3

Level 1
      I have a DVD with footage I'd like to bring into Premiere but I don't know how to do this exactly.
      The files on the DVD have the following extensions:
      .BUP
      .IFO
      .VOB

This is the only disk with the footage and I only understand the fundamentals in Premiere. I've tried looking for text that may assist me but I'm at a loss right now. If there is a way to convert the video portion then that would work for me.
      If anybody could please offer any help, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Importing video from DVD to Premiere Pro CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Persius,

You have a couple of options. None will reclaim the quality of the footage before it was Transcoded to MPEG-2, but should get something to edit:

1.) Hook up a DVD player to your miniDV-tape camera and record to tape for Capture in PP

2.) Try renaming the VOB files to "MPEG" and see if they will Import - sometimes is works for all, sometimes only for some and sometimes not at tall

3.) Use ripping software to extract the MPEG files from the VOBs. Go for a program that will Export as DV-AVI. There are often Audio problems and also sync problems with the various ripping SW. If possible, Export as elemental streams: AVI for Video and PCM/WAV for Audio. If not, then think about stripping the elemental streams from the mux'ed Export files.

If you're going to Export from PP back to DVD, remember that you will take another quality hit, when you Transcode.

John T. Smith (contributor to many Adobe forums) has a list of techniques and additional conversion programs. He normally posts it to these forums. Also, the Premiere-Pedia,
          http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
          has a lot of links, tutorials and articles on the ins-n-outs of DVD ripping for Premiere.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Importing video from DVD to Premiere Pro CS3
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Copy dvd to harddisk, rename the .vob-files to .mpg and import into Premiere.
            Premiere is not very keen on mpeg so editing can be a bit of a pain.
            • 3. Re: Importing video from DVD to Premiere Pro CS3
              Level 1
              Hello Bill & Ann Bens.

Thanks so much for taking time out to reply. I'll give your ideas a try now. I'm not concerned about the audio at all, it's just the video portion that I'm concerned about and the quality doesn't need to be the best for what I need.

Thank you again.
              • 4. Re: Importing video from DVD to Premiere Pro CS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Persius,

If that is the case, first try the renaming of the VOB's. You might get lucky and all will work that way. If you do not get all to work, then either of the other two ideas will do the trick. Though the ripping/conversion can usually involve freeware, you still have to download it, install it and learn how to use each program. I'd use the tape camera route, providing you have one handy, that takes analog input. You could use it as a pass through A -> D device, but getting a Capture might require more work, than just copying it to tape and then Capture via FW in PP.

Good luck,

Hunt