19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 9:46 AM by (David_Kozar)

Ctrl+K

Level 1
      Is there any way to split just one layer when pressing Ctrl+K instead of the whole thing? When every track gets split, it gets complicated to do certain things. Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Ctrl+K
          Level 1
          Lock the tracks you don't want cut...other than that, I don't think so...use the razor tool.

KMS
          • 2. Re: Ctrl+K
            Level 1
            It's hard to be as accurate with the razor tool but thanks. I guess I'll be locking. That's kinda stupid that they didn't realize that, no?...
            • 3. Re: Ctrl+K
              TradeWind Level 3
              sure, it would be very nice to have the shortcut work similar to the track selection tool...use a modifier key (ctrl, alt, shift) to alternate between cutting only the targeted track or all tracks.

I find myself using the razor a lot, but for the most part my cuts don't have to be exactly on the specific frame except maybe 10-15% of the time.
              • 4. Re: Ctrl+K
                until the razor autosnaps, a fast(ish) way is to zoom in ( the + key) 5/or more times:

this way you'll be so zoomed in a semiaccurate razor cut will snap to the big ctrl+k line,

then zoom back out ( - key ) straight after.

Probably only becomes practical when you've got one hand on the mouse / one on keyboard and are working fairly fast anyway,

But (CS4 reccomendation paragraph here) if there's a way to make the onscreen razor selection icon double size or redefining say the 'p' key to select/deselect razor, it's a potential best practice?
                • 5. Re: Ctrl+K
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  I've found that the razor tool *does* autosnap--in a manner of speaking. It seems that the razor is "sticky" and if you click within a few frames of your edit point, it will slice at the CTI. This actually works better when you're zoomed out in the timeline a bit, instead of being at frame level.

Another option is to download KTool. It gives you the option of using the Windows key + K, with the razor active, to slice your target track at the CTI. It also adds some other useful functions that aren't otherwise immediately accessible from PPro's shortcut keys.
                  • 6. Re: Ctrl+K
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see how "sticky" the razor tool is and if it isn't as sticky as I need it, I think I'll just stick with locking the tracks I don't need then using ctrl+k. Zooming in, selecting the razor tool, still kinda trying to be accurate, selecting back to the mouse, then zooming back out is kinda a pain.

Christian Jolly: I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Colin Brougham: You're saying that ctrl+k works only on the highlighted track if the razor tool is just selected, after KTool is installed?

-Thanks again
                    • 7. Re: Ctrl+K
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      Mostly correct. KTool adds some functionality to PPro through scripted macros. Basically, this means that it doesn't add functionality to existing tools and keystrokes, but uses new key combos to five you capabilities that would ordinarily take a few mouse clicks.

Long story short, instead of Ctrl-K, you first make the Razor tool active, and then use Win-K (the Windows key). KTool adds some other nice shortcuts as well. It's safe to use; I've been using it for over a year.
                      • 8. Re: Ctrl+K
                        Level 1
                        Alright, that's cool. Thanks. Sounds like the shortest method.

EDIT: One problem; I can't find it. I found many KTool thingies but nothing that seems to be correct. Could you direct me to the proper download? lol, thanks
                        • 9. Re: Ctrl+K
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          Definitely the shortest method. Click here for a direct link.

The included Help file will tell you all the shortcuts that KTool adds.
                          • 10. Re: Ctrl+K
                            Level 1
                            Thank you very much.
                            • 11. Re: Ctrl+K
                              Level 1
                              One last thing, sorry, umm, is it supposed to be that slow? After I press Win+k, it takes a minimum of 5 seconds to actually perform the action.
                              • 12. Re: Ctrl+K
                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                It should be instantaneous. At least, it is for me on my system.
                                • 13. Re: Ctrl+K
                                  Level 1
                                  Sometimes it doesn't work at all; it's weird. You use it for CS3?
                                  • 14. Re: Ctrl+K
                                    I mainly use the Razor tool (Ctrl C). Then expand the timeline. Seems simple AND accurate enough for me.
                                    • 15. Re: Ctrl+K
                                      Thrill Media Level 2
                                      Yes, it sure would be nice if Ctrl K would just cut the selected track. If no track is selected then it should cut all as it does now. Yes,
                                      I did put this on the CS4 wishlist. :)
                                      • 16. Re: Ctrl+K
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                                        David--

Yes, using it with 3.2.0, currently. Have used it since, oh, 3.0.1, I believe. Never had any problems--always fast and performs the function I specify. I wonder if you don't have some kind of other macro software running? It sounds like something is conflicting with KTool.
                                        • 17. Re: Ctrl+K
                                          Level 1
                                          Hmmm... I dunno; I doubt it. It just always takes a while to cut but... if anything, it's certainly not because my computer itself is slow ^^ What's the OS that you run? I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
                                          • 18. Re: Ctrl+K
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                                            I'm on Windows XP SP3, 32-bit. So, it very well could be an OS issue. Isn't there some way on 64-bit OSes that you can tell programs to run in 32-bit? Never used a 64-bit OS, myself...
                                            • 19. Re: Ctrl+K
                                              Level 1
                                              32-bit programs run 32-bit although there is an issue like that sometimes. This very well may be it.