7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2008 6:41 AM by Jim_Simon

CS3 with External Sound Editor?

I prefer using Sound Forge as my audio editor. I need to work on the sound from some clips that just need to be cleaned up (nothing fancy).

What's the easiest way to do deal with this? I tried working on the .avis directly and SF can do this but writes out a HUGE version of the .avi file afterwards. If I want to deal directly with just the sound do I have to unlink it via the timeline and edit it? Is there no way to link to a non-Adobe sound editor?
        • 1. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          That depends on the codec chosen at export. Just be aware that at least up to SF 8.0 the PAR was changed from 1.067 to 1.092 for SD PAL 4x3 material. You may be better off with using Audition.
          • 2. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            If you want to import and work on just the audio portion of some AV clips, you have two options from Premiere. One is in the bin, and the other is in the timeline.

If your clips are in a bin, use the Extract Audio feature. This will create WAV files from the audio and place it wherever you've specified Audio Captures to be saved. This file will not be directly linked to the original AV clip, but you can edit the audio as needed in Sound Forge, save the file, and *I think* the clip will be automatically updated. You'll have to edit the new audio into the timeline to sync up with the video from your original clip, and you can then relink those as one element in the timeline.

The other option, if your clips are already in the timeline, is to use the Render and Replace command. This will do the same as Extract Audio, but the "new" audio clip will be automatically placed in the timeline, and *I think* linked to the video portion. Edit and save as above.
            • 3. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              You could try this:
              Set your source video (the clips) in the windows explore to default open with sound forge.
              In premiere rightclick on a clip and click on edit original.
              If Audition is set default it extract the audio from the video maybe SF will do the same without having to save/export it first.
              • 4. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                My question is why is the SoundForge AVI so big? It should be the same size using DV in/out.
                • 5. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
                  Level 1
                  This is mainly due to my inexperience editing video files with Sound Forge (this is the first time in fact). When you select .avi as a format there is also a (not so obvious) pull-down called "Template" which controls what is inside the container. It defaults to the the uncompressed format. I was editing a compressed DV file (which is the default in Premiere for windows DV capture). Once I figured this out it was pretty easy go behind Premiere's back and edit the sound.
                  • 6. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
                    Level 1
                    I am kind of curious if anyone has handled my situation without using an external editor.

The video is of an outside wedding using just a camcorder in the back. The sound of the actual ceremony is very faint but occasionally a kid near the back screams injecting a peak signal into the track so if you do a normalize it doesn't really bring up the important sound because of the bursts in the sequence.

Has anyone fixed something like this just using the audio effects available in CS3?

It must happen a lot.
                    • 7. Re: CS3 with External Sound Editor?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I do it all the time. You can boost the gain to where you need it, then add the Dynamics effect and use the Limiting parameter to keep it from peaking.