9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 7:26 PM by (Valera)

Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?

I'm using Premiere CS3 with AspectHD 5 and happily noticed that all my 4 cores are used for rendering. Performance got much better.

Now I'd like to know if somebody uses Premiere CS3 and AspectHD 5 on a 8 CPU core system. Will all 8 cores be used for HDV processing?

Multicore systems become cheaper everyday, so that could be a nice option to speed up rendering times.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I can't answer your question, but I'd love for you to contribute to this thread. The more results posted the better.
          • 2. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
            Level 1
            When set to optimize for performance in the Preferences, PPro should utilize all available cores, given there's enough memory. The number of cores used to render directly relates to memory use.
            • 3. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
              Level 1
              Well I am rendering in CS3 now as we speak, and I can certainly say it makes use of my Dual Core better than 2.0 did!

Look at this.

This chart shows the CPU usage. My PC is actually very sluggish now when I open up other prgrams and do other things now. This shows more CPU usage.
              • 4. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                Level 1
                Natem, thanks for your post. In the mean time I also found a hint in the manual that up to 16 cores should be used.

Anybody here who really did that, e.g. with 8 CPU cores?

I don't want to build such a system and find out PPro doesn't really use it.

Anybody here who can explain how PP CS 3 internally does parallization?

I mean it could give each core 1/nth of a single frame to render (like in CineBench), or hand out frame n to core 1, n+1 to core 2, n+2 to core 3 etc. Having that information one could guess if more CPU cores really pay off if number of cores >=4. (Supposed there's no other bottleneck, like bus, memory or hard drives.)

Enough memory: PPro cannot use more than 3-4 GB anyway as a 32bit application? As Windows XP 32bit just can handle that much too, physically installing more than 4 GB RAM make no sense.

I would estimate the needed memory per frame as e.g. 1440x1080x4 Bytes (8 bit per color + alpha) which is about 6 MB per frame. Assuming 32 bit per pixel would lead to about 190 MB per frame. If this comes next to the real memory needs, that would be no big problem for rendering (only for preview from RAM), as 8 cores per 190 MB would need just 1500 MB max.

In my opinion Adobe should give us more informations on recommended hardware. Not necessarily in terms of brand names etc., but e.g. some kind of benchmark for sample configurations that gives a hint if it makes sense to buy 2, 4 or 8 CPU cores, what's the optimum disk configuration (is it necessary to increase from e.g. 100 MB/s to 150 MB/s to increase speed), which operating system (XP, Vista, 32/64bit) etc. Because the best software depends on hardware, and also does not get productive with bad hardware, it would be wise to know about the optimal hardware. Of course this also may depend on what one does with PPro (SD, HDV, many effects or not), but I'd wish there was a document guiding us more in the hardware selection.
                • 5. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                  Level 1
                  No idea how much actual memory is required to render to a given core, but I would imagine this depends on a variety of factor like source format, effects applied, destination format, etc.

On 32-bit Windows you can install up to 4gb of ram. A 32-bit application can, by default, address 2 gigs (or 3 if you add a line to your boot.ini file).

A 64-bit OS would let Windows recognize more ram, but since PProCS3 is still a 32-bit app, it's memory usage doesn't change. You shouldn't install it on a 64-bit OS though, because it kills marine life and makes baby forest animals cry.
                  • 6. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    >You shouldn't install it on a 64-bit OS though, because it kills marine life and makes baby forest animals cry.

:)
                    • 7. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                      "You shouldn't install it on a 64-bit OS though, because it kills marine life and makes baby forest animals cry." !!!!!

Hi there sorry if seems to you that i am a dumb guy, but i can´t undestabd this statement !! Can you explain to me ?

Best regards,

Leon unger
                      • 8. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        Explanation: A lot of people have trouble running 32 bit Adobe Premiere Pro on 64 bit operating systems.
                        • 9. Re: Are 8 CPU cores supported/used?
                          Level 1
                          I use Mac Pro running both FCP & windows\adobe PPro sc3 on it.
                          8 cores.CPU Type Intel Xeon Installed Qty 2 CPU Speed 2.8GHz Quad Core L2 Cache Per CPU 12MB CPU FSB 1600MHz CPU Features Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processor

Mac will see 6Gb of mem, windows only 2... Anyway, when I incode or transcode it uses all eight, fast real fast. However when I try run unrendered material in real time (by hitting enter) it uses only 2 cores?

Mac however uses all eghit all the time, but interesting enough when I try to transcode the same amount of material to lets say go from dvcpro hd to sd, it takes a lot longer on Mac then cs3 (don't ask me why) at least 2 to 3 times longer. Please no offense to fcp users this is just the fact or my personal experience.

64 bit is not there yet for PPro unless you entend to use a lots of applications at the same time.