5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 8:07 PM by Jim_Simon

Learning Premiere

Could you guys recommend some books or classes I could take to get a better understanding of Adobe programs, particularly premiere and after effects?
        • 1. Re: Learning Premiere
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Online training sites like Lynda.com come highly recommended.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Learning Premiere
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            If you like books; the Classroom in a book series that adobe produces isnt too bad.
            • 3. Re: Learning Premiere
              Level 1
              videocopilot.net
              • 4. Re: Learning Premiere
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Eric,

You have gotten some good recs. so far.

I strongly recommend that one start with the manual and spend a few evenings with it. All of it will not make sense, initially, but you'll learn a lot about the program, and also get an idea of where in it you should go when questions arise. I find F1 (Help) more useful for solving specific problems, if you know all of the conventions and jargon. Hard to ask a question, if you do not know what the basics are called.

I'll second the "Classroom in a Book," as it gives you a Project to work on, pretty much from start to finish. My only complaint, and this is for the entire "CiaB" series is that it's big on HOW's, but short on WHY's.

I'm more of a reader, than a watcher, but I have to say that Eddie's links for tutorials are great. Same for Lynda.com and for Total Training. Do not know Videocopilot, but would assume it's good too.

I have yet to find any other book on Premiere, that did anything for me. Too many are just restatements of the manual, and some even deviate from the conventions used in Premiere. There are some good books on particular aspects of NLE work, though most are specific to only a few features, like Audio. I'm sure that there are good ones out there, but do not have any titles for you.

For the Encore side of the suite, I highly recommend Jeff Bellune's book, "Focal Easy Guide to EncoreDVD 2." Yes, I know that you're on CS3, but his book will give you a complete knowledge of DVD authoring workflow (a lot of WHY you do things, not just HOW to do them), and the basics still apply. You may have to read between a line or two, as somethings have changed in CS3, but it'll give you a leg-up.

Last, I highly recommend the Premiere Pro forums, and not just the CS3 one. A lot of great material is contained in the various threads. When I'm in the middle of a Render on the workstation, I grab the laptop and just read. Some articles will not apply to you, and you can freely skip them. Unless Adobe changes the forums again (God forbid), they will always be there, should you need to come back to them.

Good luck,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Learning Premiere
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >All of it will not make sense, initially

The solution to that is to look up the definition to any word you do not fully understand. When you do that, everything will make sense as you go along.