10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 5:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project

Hi All, could anyone help with a problem i have please?

I have recorded a band playing live using seperate microphones (24 in all!) and have beautiful mono tracks for each instrument / mic etc.

I have edited the visuals for the band and now wish to create a 5.1 mix for it. The whole room was mic'd for ambient and corwd also so it will make a really good clean mix.

However, when I try to drag any of the .wav files onto the 5.1 audio timelines, they will not do so. Obviously incompatible! I can drag them onto a plain mono track, but not the 5.1.

I can see that i may need to convert the .wav's first in order to use them for a 5.1 mix but cannot find best software, or method to do this! Some say they need to be 6 channel wavs for 5.1 use, but how do I convert a mono wav into use for 5.1 mixing in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3?

(I am willing to spend more money on other software if I need to!)

Many thanks

Ricardo Lacombe
        • 1. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
          shooternz Level 6
          do you have audition 3 ?

maybe do your mix to your visuals in that.

or protools.
          • 2. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
            Level 1
            Hi there,

I do have Audition 3 and have NEVER used it for 5.1!
            I have just discovered the Surround Mixer feature and lo and behold...the EXPORT function.

OK, so I can export the files and import into Premiere...done.....

....however, on the Audio Mixer in Premiere there is the volume slider, but I where the 5.1 panel for sound positioning should be, it is blank. How do I get that on to properly place the audio.

(I exported as a single 6 channle wav by the way, no 6 seperate wavs).

Ricardo
            • 3. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Ricardo,

What format are your Audio files? Craig's suggestion to use Audition is a good one. Basically, all you have to do is open each of your mono files in AA, then Save_As (setting PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit) to a new folder, i.e "Converted WAV Files."

Now, you will need to Import these into PP. You will NOT place them in a 5.1 Audio Track, but a Mono Audio Track. If you drag each below your Master, PP will create the necessary Track. First thing I'd do, is clean up any non-Master 5.1 Tracks (Delete Empty Tracks from the Project Menu). Though PP will create the Tracks for you, I like to create the proper Audio Tracks myself (same Menu, but Create Audio Tracks). Drag the Imported mono Audio files to the Mono Audio Tracks. Here, I'd rename them appropriately, so they are not Track x, Track x+1, etc. The mixing will be most easily done with the Audio Mixer. To output to a 5.1 AC3 file, you will need the Minnetonka SurCode DD 5.1 plug-in. I always Export as elemental streams for the DV-AVI Video (no Audio), and AC3 (Audio only). Unless you need a multiplexed file, elemental streams cause 0 problems in Encore.

Good luck, you are close,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Here is a good tutorial: Tutorial:Create a 5.1 surround audio sequence

Cheers
                Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                - Over 250 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                  Level 1
                  Thanks all for your replies, good stuff and I appreciate it!

I am a little unsure what to do next as it's still not quite right.
                  I can see that I can convert my mono files in Audition and save as converted Wav files.....and I can import and place these on 5.1 tracks in Prmeiere...but I'm still missing the 5.1 panning box above the mixers to actually place the location in the 5.1 field.

I know I have seen it before but all I am getting now is a blank space where the display should be!

Bill...why would I not use Premiere 5.1 tracks on the timeline? you suggest I use standard mono audio tracks? Why would this be? How will I mix in 5.1 if they are not on 5.1 tracks in timeline?
                  (What I'm aiming for you see is to have things like the ambient crowd in the rear speakers etc).

Ricardo
                  • 6. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                    Level 1
                    Also Bill...should point out my original audio files are Mono WAV files, 16bit, 48khz.
                    • 7. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you want to mix your audio in PPro then import them into PPro as mono files. Drag the clips to a sequence that has a 5.1 master audio track. Switch to the audio mixer workspace and you can move the audio around in the 5.1 sound space.

Have a look at the tutorial link I provided if you want to see pictures that show what I have been describing.

Cheers
                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                      - Maintained by editors like you
                      Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Ricardo,

If you wish to mix your mono files to 5.1, Eddie's workflow is the one to go with. Just make sure to set your Project up as a 5.1 Master. Import your mono WAV's into PP, drag to the appropriate mono Audio Tracks, then open up the Audio Mixer. All of the main controls are at your fingertips. Might want to read up on "Sends" in the manual.

You could also mix your mono Audio files in Audition (Multitrack Mode), or other, and Export as a 5.1 WMA, or as six discrete mono tracks. I like the six discrete mono tracks, as there is still a lot that I can do in PP, before I Export to AC3.

Recent Project had 53 separate mono Audio Tracks from several programs. I assembled in Audition with another half-dozen Tracks, created there. I did a mixdown to six Tracks and output to PP for final tweaking for DD 5.1 SS, and also to the Minnetonka DTS encoder for a full DTS Track in Encore. The six mono channels were mixed to PP's 5.1 Master and the AC3 was Exported via SurCode for Encore.

Other than having to make sure that all of my Track names still made sense to me, when I'd open the Project up the next day, all went fine.

Besides Eddie's link, you might want to do a search of the Encore forum for "surround sound." Read all comments from Neil Wilkes closely. He also furnishes a bunch of links to important information.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                          Level 1
                          This is all valubale, concise and much appreciated information guys.
                          I thank you sincerely and I feel confident I can move on now. Already tested the mono mix into 5.1 Master and is working and sounding great.
                          I'll come to the Encore part of it when I've mixed the whole thing.
                          Great help....many thanks.

Ricardo
                          • 10. Re: Importing Mono Sounds to 5.1 project
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Ricardo,

Not sure if I mentioned it, but you will need the SurCode DD 5.1 plug-in from Minnetonka to Export directly out of PP. If you own it, you're good to go. If you need to buy it, make sure that you buy it from within Premiere, as that will save $ over going to Minnetonka Audio's site. You'll end up there, but via a "backdoor." I'm always up for saving ~US$ 50. Helps pay for their DTS Encoder!

Glad you got it working. Before going to Encore, I'd highly recommend that you Export your Audio and Video as elemental streams and not some muxed combo file. I use DV-AVI (Video only) and AC3 (Audio only), and these work beautifully in Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt