18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2008 8:36 PM by Dan Isaacs

PPro and Camtasia...

shooternz Level 6
      Anyone had experience of Camtasia? (good /bad)

Is it possible to "export" movie files from Camtasia to use in PPRO and AEFX?. (preferably HD 720p)

Are there any issues associated with Camtasia in the same machine as an NLE (Premiere)

Any other better options available for Screen grabbing computer screen action?.
        • 1. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          There is, of course, the SEARCH link
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?126@@.3bc3ed94

When I did that, camtasia resulted in just under 90 hits... you might want to do a search, and read previous discussions
          • 2. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
            Level 1
            Craig,
            I've used Camtasia for several years using it to make tutorials for Photoshop, AE, Encore 2.0 and Premiere 1.5 which I encoded as .WMA for my web site. It seems to work well and as far as I can tell doesn't interfere with those programs on the same machine. (you can't use F9 for a AE keyboard short cut).

I just upgraded from Camtasia 2.0 to 5.0. I just looked at the encoding again, and I can't see where one can encode the output from the .camrec files (what Camtasia captures in) to a HD 720P file.
            However, it does encode to .AVI which I have put into Premiere for editing (you can edit somewhat in Camtasia).
            I haven't output from Premiere yet, but I wonder if you could put the camtasia .AVI into Premiere and output with AME into a progressive format.
            If you want to see what an amateur like me does with it I'll give you my website. Notice the motion isn't that great, because I used 10 fps to keep the file size down. http://jmrser.com/Tutorials.html

I bought a DVD by Ahron Rabinowitz (A Guide for Creating Video for the Web), which goes into Camtasia's use pretty well.
            I've never used anything else, but from what I've seen, for what that's worth, most folks seem to use Camtasia.
            John Rich
            • 3. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              I mentioned this before: I have trouble in PPro and AE with the TechSmith codec. The temporal compression causes problems when cutting between keyframes -- or randomly accessing points on the timeline. Sometimes frames get "sticky".. other times they appear jagged or corrupted, in varying degrees of severity.

I use VirtualDub to convert the TechSmith .AVI to another .AVI with an intra-frame lossless codec (like Lagarith) and then bring those files into PPro or AE for editing. This works extremely well.
              • 4. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                shooternz Level 6
                Thanx guys

Dan... what would your take on be how to achieve 720p anamorphic (1280 x960) from the Camtasia footage

These sequences needed for a broadcast project to be created in AEFX and Premiere. (Mostly as an effect. eg keyed in as a BG)

EDIT: Actually the format could just be 16:9 and I can deal with the rest
                • 5. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  Sorry, Craig.. I don't really understand.
                  1.) What screen resolution are you capturing?
                  2.) What output resolution are you looking for?
                  3.) Don't you mean 960x720 for anamorphic 720p?
                  • 6. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Sorry Dan. too many projects running same time and I confused myself ..and you

Project in PPro and AEFX will be 720p so I need to get something like that from Camtasia.
                    • 7. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      Well, you can set up a "windowed" capture at 1280x720 (assuming your PC screen resolution is greater than this). Actually, you're better off capturing the full screen resolution and using motion in PPro or AE to center the action.

If you are using a smaller resolution than 1280x720, you'll have to scale the image up. You may want to do this VirtualDub as opposed to PPro or AE, as you can use Lanczos resizing which is a bit sharper than Bicubic.

What kind of material are you capturing anyway? Is it mostly web or application interfaces -- or is it graphics/gaming kind of stuff?

In the case of web browser captures, I like to first scale it by 200% using Nearest Neighbor resizing. This will give you twice as many pixels to play with -- and a lot less blurring if you plan to do 2x zoom ins, etc... but all of this depends on what you're capturing and what you're planning to do with it.
                      • 8. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                        shooternz Level 6
                        Its a fictitious story about a man and a computer.

I need to capture various computer screens and desktops that will be used as backgrounds / foregrounds, reflections etc that composite with the actors in various scenarios. More "visual than informative " but they are a significant part of the story and need to be as "rezzed" as possible (Broadcast TV)

I am hoping Camtasia would save me a lot of manual creation and animating of graphics simulating Desktops and screens
                        • 9. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                          Dan Isaacs Level 2
                          > I am hoping Camtasia would save me a lot of manual creation and animating of graphics simulating Desktops and screens

It will. Try this:

1.) Capture your full screen size with Camtasia
                          2.) Open the capture file in VirtualDub
                          3.) Set the compression to a lossless format (try Lagarith, uncompressed or (better yet) Cineform if you have it).
                          4.) Save the new .AVI from VirtualDub
                          • 10. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                            shooternz Level 6
                            Cool thanx Dan

I am starting some tests with the Camtasia trial version later in the week. (and I have Cineform)
                            • 11. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              > you can set up a "windowed" capture at 1280x720 (assuming your PC screen resolution is greater than this). Actually, you're better off capturing the full screen resolution and using motion in PPro or AE to center the action.

Maybe this is where we got different results with the TechSmith codec, Dan. I capture an 800x600 area of the screen for my tutorials, and then I edit in an 800x600 TechSmith Pr project. I export that to Flash at 800x600 for the web version.

Then I drop a lossless 800x600 Pr export into an AE 320x240 comp and keyframe position and scale to center the action for podcast.

Sound reasonable?

-Jeff
                              • 12. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                I've not really experimented too much. I usually just open the orignal capture in VirtualDub and do a "rough edit" to trim out the useless sections and cut down the length (use the next/previous keyframe buttons, mark in and out, hit the delete key).

As I mentioned, I often double the resolution in VDub before exporting so I can get nicer closeups of buttons, etc.

I bring that straight into AE... but most of the work I've done with screen captures has been instructional content, and I like AE's motion blur on zooms, pans.

You can also use AE to create an interlaced file from 60 fps (or 50 fps for our PAL-pals) captures, which is nice.
                                • 13. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  >I often double the resolution in VDub before exporting so I can get nicer closeups of buttons, etc.

Is that easy to do and would it be a good idea for me to try that for my purposes.?
                                  • 14. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                    >You can also use AE to create an interlaced file from 60 fps

3D animations for my video productions, yes. 60 fps screen caps? No way! :D
                                    >I like AE's motion blur on zooms, pans

Me, too.

-Jeff
                                    • 15. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                      > Is that easy to do

Yes. In VirtualDub, go to Video/Filters/Add..., choose "resize" and set width and height to 2x the input resolution, using Nearest Neighbor as the filter mode.

> and would it be a good idea for me to try that for my purposes

I dunno?? Nearest neighbor makes a "blocky" resize that's perfectly suited for things like classic GUIs, which are supposed to look blocky and pixelated when you get close to them.

If you capturing desktops and such and plan to show extreme closeups of them, then yes. Otherwise, no.
                                      • 16. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                        > [interlacing 60fps for ...] 3D animations for my video productions, yes.

One day you'll allow me to show you how to do this in AviSynth... faster and easier to batch :)

> 60 fps screen caps? No way!

Why not? If (mostly) the only movement is the pointer and some button clicks it works really well.
                                        • 17. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                          Because I don't do tutorials for DVD, tape or broadcast. :) 15 fps progressive fits the Flash final file fairly fine.
                                          • 18. Re: PPro and Camtasia...
                                            Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                            > ...fits the Flash final file fairly fine

A little alliteration always augments a lively argument :)