9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 3:38 PM by shooternz

Banging my head. Ouch!

editted Level 1
      Please don't tell me to just read the manual. I have been reading and reading and watching Tim's Basic DVD but I still can't get it to work.

All I want to do is fade a short clip to black with the beat of music. In 6.0 it was very easy. In CS3 I can't seem to figure it out. When I click on the opacity the entire rubberband moves down. All I want is the end to move down which would make a gradual fade. I also tried the dip to black transition but that one wants to dip to black then go back to 100%. I did manage to get the first clip to dip correctly but none after that. What am I missing?

Ted
        • 1. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          There are still 'rubber bands' but they are yellow now.
          Hold down the ctrl and click with the mouse on the yellow line for the opacity and a keyframe will appear. Make another keyframe next to the first one. Now drag this second keyframe with your mouse downwards. Almost the same as in 6.0.
          • 2. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            >Tim's Basic DVD

Tim who?
            • 3. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
              editted Level 1
              Steven, sorry, Tim Kolb. "Basic Training for Adobe CS3 Production Premium.
              • 4. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                Oh, I forgot he did another one this go around. I like the way he teaches. Met him once. Great guy.
                • 5. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                  editted Level 1
                  Ann, thank you for replying. That is what I have been doing but instead of a nice straight line angling down for the fade out I get some blue handles like for vector drawing. Those things do not want to just do a simple straight line. I think I am missing something simple or I am very stupid. Which ever the case, I am going to go play a round of golf and come back to this.

BTW, my Matrox just came a few minutes ago so I'll be installing that when I get back too.
                  • 6. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                    shooternz Level 6
                    >BTW, my Matrox just came a few minutes ago so I'll be installing that when I get back too.

ooohh... there will be tears before bedtime!
                    • 7. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      > ooohh... there will be tears before bedtime!

:)

Personally, I had no problems installing my RT.X2, but I did my homework on compatible hardware first -- and did a clean install of Windwos XP + PPro (was CS2 then) + Matrox drivers.

Ted -- be sure to follow the Matrox instructions, and check the Matrox forums if any issues arise. If all else fails, reformat and install XP, PPro and Matrox cleanly. Assuming you have Matrox-approved hardware this will certainly work.
                      • 8. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        > Ann, thank you for replying. That is what I have been doing but instead of a nice straight line angling down for the fade out I get some blue handles like for vector drawing. Those things do not want to just do a simple straight line. I think I am missing something simple or I am very stupid. Which ever the case, I am going to go play a round of golf and come back to this.

Rightclick on the keyframe and make it linear.
                        • 9. Re: Banging my head. Ouch!
                          shooternz Level 6
                          >Those things do not want to just do a simple straight line. I think I am missing something simple or I am very stupid. Which ever the case, I am going to go play a round of golf and come back to this.

Great and maybe also stupid idea when things are going really bad....go and have a round of golf! Golf usually shows that things can get even worse...

:-)